3 replies to this topic

#1 happytrails

happytrails

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am expecting my first baby in December. We have girl names picked out. We are trying to decide on boy names. We both like the name Reed. The issue is that I went to school with a boy named Reed who died very young. He was a very cheerful and kind person, so the association is a good one. Would it be inappropriate to name our child Reed? We would not be naming the baby after him, but because the name is positive to us; but some of my high school friends who are still my friends (we are now 30 somethings) also knew Reed. His mother is also a friend of mine though we do not all see one another regularly. Would it be weird? Thank You!

#2 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

I think if you love the name, you should go for it! But I do think it could present some awkward situations. If it were me, I'd make Reed the middle name. Maybe changing the spelling would help? Possibly Reid?

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

My favorite spelling is Reid. And I'm sure the mother would find it nice that you used her son's name whether it was your intention to honor him or not.

#4 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

I don't think it would be weird at all! Quite nice, actually. But, maybe you should change the spelling so it doesn't seem like it's after him. I agree with Katie, I like Reid!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users