26 replies to this topic

#1 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:28 PM

My wife, Janessa, and I are trying for a baby very soon so we decided we would try out some name (here our top 20!)

Emma- My Great Grandma! She was a wonderful women!
Bridget
Brooke
Claire
Amelia
Caroline or Carolyn (Care-o-lyn) not (care-o-line)
Eva
Catherine- Predominate Name in my family and hasn't been used in many generations (only this spelling)
Jillian
Anabelle- This spelling, after mom Ana
Cassidy
Caitlin- This spelling only
Violet
Heidi
Allison- Variant of relative Alice
Erica- This spelling, many Derrick's in the family so this is a spin on it
Olivia
Hannah/Hana- After mom Ana
Rebecca- Big name in family-see Catherine
Jenna

Which name? Last name is Lehmer (Lay-mer)
We like classic and no unisex middle names please!
Honest Opinions!

#2 Fez

Fez

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

Wonderful news indeed!

Emma - this is my all time favourite baby name, so if it was up to me to name your baby girl you can be sure she will be an Emma, no matter how popular the name may be! :) Serously, this is such a classic, beautiful name, perfect for a baby and a woman, plus it honours your great grandmother.

Bridget - I'm starting to like this name. Emma Bridget would be very pretty.

Brooke - it's ok, I can't see the appeal of it, but I don't hate it either.

Claire - very, very pretty and underused as a fn.

Amelia - beautiful and classic

Caroline or Carolyn - I don't like it, but if you want it to be pronounced Car-o- lyn I'd spell it Carolyn

Eva - It's ok, not my favourite but definetely better than the over pupular Ava

Catherine- I love, love this name and this spelling. And I love it even more because it has family connections. Emma Catherine would be a neat combo.

Jillian - ok, prefer it as a mn. Maybe Emma Jillian?

Anabelle- I like the fact that it's honouring your mother, but it's not my favourite Ana- name.

Cassidy - ok, this name used to be more appealing to me, but has lost its charm recently.

Caitlin- beautiful, no matter the popularity. What about Emma Caitlin?

Violet - I son't see the appeal of this name, there are other colour names that are far more appealing. But it's not awaful either.

Heidi - I can't help thinking of the character book. I don't like it. I prefer Adelaide to Heidi (Heidi is the German diminutive of Adelheid)

Allison- Ok. If you want to hounour Alice, you could use Adelaide. I've recently learned that they are related. And Adelaide is much prettier than Allison.

Erica - nice

Olivia - I have the same problem that with Violet.

Hannah/Hana- I like Hannah.

Rebecca- nice name, and I like the family connection.

Jenna - ok, may be too close to Janessa, although it could work as a nice mn.

#3 Alexis!

Alexis!

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Bones
    Mysteries
    Baking
    Photography
    Science
    Writing
    Reading

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:35 PM

Emma- I only fear that it is popular. I love that it honors your great grandma though. It's a great name!
Bridget- I love how unique Bridget is! It's a great name, but no one uses it!
Brooke- LOVE it! It's my middle name.
Claire- I never was a fan of Claire because I don't like how it sounds.
Amelia- Love it.
Caroline or Carolyn- I prefer the spelling Carolyn with the pronounciation. Great name!
Eva- I don't like Eva/Eve/Evelyn/Evie.
Catherine- I adore this name!!
Jillian- Same as Bridget!
Anabelle- Love it. Love how it honors your mom.
Cassidy- Beautiful name. Adorable on a little girl.
Caitlin- Slightly popular, but still cute.
Violet- Cute as a middle, but not as a first IMO.
Heidi- I love Heidi! It reminds me of the book.
Allison- I prefer Alice, but Allison is cute!
Erica- Angain I love it. I've also seen it spelled Ericka, but I prefer Erica.
Olivia- A classic.
Hannah/Hana- I'm not a fan of its popularity, but it's a great name.
Rebecca- I prefer the spelling Rebekah, cause it is more traditional and not as popular, but I LOVE the name.
Jenna- I'm not a fan for personal reasons. It is a great name though.

I love your taste in names. This baby is gonna have a great name, no matter what you guys pick!!

#4 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

Emma - I love the name and the family connection. I suggest Emma Bridget or Emma Gwyneth.
Bridget - Nice. Biddy is a cute nickname. Bridget Emma (I can't decide which way I like it better)
Brooke - Nice. It might be good as middle name.
Claire- I've always loved this name, but my cousin named his daughter this. Claire Elizabeth would be fabulous.
Amelia - Lovely. And there are so many nicknames too: Ami/Amy, Mia, Melia. I really like the sound of Amelia Catherine
Carolyn - I would use this spelling to prevent any confusion in the pronunciation. Carolyn Jenna
Eva - Timeless. Eva Catherine Lehmer sounds nice to me.
Catherine - Love the name. My grandmother was Katherine, but Catherine is still lovely. Catherine Olivia
Jillian - A lovely name, and I like it spelled this way only. Jillian Kirsten
Anabelle - I love this spelling of Anabelle and the family connection! Anabelle Sophie/Sofie or Sophia/Sofia might be a nice option.
Cassidy - not my favorite, but certainly better than Colby or Casey
Caitlin- lol! I know I'm biased, but I really love the name (and this spelling only too!) Caitlin Alanna/Caitlin Samantha/Caitlin Elisabeth
Violet - Lovely, but I generally prefer it as a middle name
Heidi - sweet... makes me think of a blue eyed, blonde Swiss girl from Johanna Spyri's beloved children's novel
Allison - I'm not a big fan of "-son" names, but this one's not too bad
Erica - I'm not a big fan of this name, but that's because I have not known many Ericas that were nice
Olivia - I adore this name, no matter how popular it is! Olivia Katherine (fo you I'd suggest Olivia Catherine)is a name Brian & I have on our list for when/if we ever have a little girl
Hannah/Hana - lovely, but I've been turned off of it lately because of the whole Hannah Montana craze
Rebecca- LOVE Rebecca and this traditional English spelling. I like Rebecca Victoria or Rebecca Elise
Jenna - nice, but a little too close to your wife's name for my tastes. Though it might make a good middle name.

I really like Catherine Olivia/Olivia Catherine, or Anabelle Sophia. Good luck!

#5 Jessie

Jessie

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:03 PM

My wife, Janessa, and I are trying for a baby very soon so we decided we would try out some name (here our top 20!)

Emma- My Great Grandma! She was a wonderful women!
Bridget
Brooke
Claire
Amelia
Caroline or Carolyn (Care-o-lyn) not (care-o-line)
Eva
Catherine- Predominate Name in my family and hasn't been used in many generations (only this spelling)
Jillian
Anabelle- This spelling, after mom Ana
Cassidy
Caitlin- This spelling only
Violet
Heidi
Allison- Variant of relative Alice
Erica- This spelling, many Derrick's in the family so this is a spin on it
Olivia
Hannah/Hana- After mom Ana
Rebecca- Big name in family-see Catherine
Jenna

Which name? Last name is Lehmer (Lay-mer)
We like classic and no unisex middle names please!
Honest Opinions!

I love the name Emma, but hate it with Lehmer, sorry!
Bridget and Brooke are way cute!
Amelia Claire is SOOOOO classy and sophisticated. I LOVE IT! nn Amee, Mia, Mel, Lia??? I personally love Mia. Mia Claire!
Carolyn is a bit dated to me and I can only see a 45 year old with the name. Same with Rebecca. Although I like Becca!
Eva is very sexy and mysterious. WAY CUTE!
Catherine and Caitlin are cute, but overused.
Hannah and Heidi are terrible. I'm sorry, but I've never liked them. I do prefer the spelling of Hana however!
Jillian, Erica, and Cassidy are just eh... ok to me.
Anabelle, Olivia, Allison, & Violet are all very cute, but I only see Allison aging very well.

My top picks are Amelia Claire and Jenna Bridget! GOOD LUCK!!!

#6 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

Thanks everyone. Emma Bridget Lehmer is so awesome!!

We decided that: Heidi, Jenna, and Cassidy are gone!

Are top 5 are: Emma, Bridget, Brooke, Rebecca, and Allison the most right now but anything goes!

We also like Gwendolyn nn Gwen! Is Jane a good middle name?

Eva Catherine and Rebecca Elise are lovely :)

Kaia is from Trotskaia so is good?

Would Emma and Henry be weird as siblings if they were named after two married people?

#7 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

I think that Emma & Henry are fine as sibs, even though the people you were naming them for were husband & wife. You're honoring those people, and the only ones that might find it cute or a little funny are the family members.

I'm glad you like Emma Bridget, Eva Catherine, & Rebecca Elise!

Now on to the new name, Gwendolyn. I love, love, LOVE this name but my husband doesn't. So it never had a chance on my master list. Jane is nice middle name, but I think Janet would work better.
Gwendolyn Janet Lehmer
Gwendolyn Jenna Lehmer
Gwendolyn Sarah Lehmer

Emma Gwendolyn Lehmer could also be nice! Good luck!

#8 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:47 PM

We have narrowed it down to 10 names!!

Emma
Pro: It's a classic and beautiful name; Great-Grandmothers name.
Con: It's very popular
We like Emma Gwendolyn, Emma Bridget, and Emma Annaliese.
Any Suggestions

Rebecca
Pro: Uncommon and Beautiful! It has some family connections but i didn't know any of them.
Con: We aren't sure about spelling problem;its meaning "to tie" is weird.
Rebecca Isabel
Any Suggestions?

Catherine
Pro: Classic; family connections.
Con: The spelling can get confusing
Catherine Erica, Catherine Amelia
Any Suggestions?

Olivia
Pro: Classic and will age well, my mom loves (lol?)
Con: It is very popular
Olivia Kay (after grandma's middle name), Olivia Catherine
Any suggestions?

Brooke
Pro: Less Common and will age well.
Con: It's unisex
Brooke Jenna, Brooke Eva
Any suggestions?

Erica
Pro: We love it and is a play on Derrick!
Con: It may be somewhat dated to the 80's.
Erica Jillian
Any suggestions?

Allison
Pro: Love the name; ages well; good flow w/ last name
Con: Some think its a -son name.
Allison Bridget, Allison Kay
Any suggestions?

Jillian
Pro: Uncommon; age well
Con: Sounds very much like Julian
Jillian Kay, Jillian Eva
Any suggestions?

Eva/Eve
Pro: Beautiful;ages well; alternative to Ava
Con: Maybe confused with Ava a lot
Eva Catherine, Eva Bridget
Any suggestions?

Claire
Pro: Classic and underused First Name
Con: Very hard to find nice middle name,
Claire Emma, Claire Eva
Any Suggestion?

Looking over these names, We have a tendency to like name that contain a c or k (with the proper spelling of course)

#9 SweetEvie

SweetEvie

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:45 AM

I think every one of these names are beautiful and classic. Rebecca, Allison, and Jillian are my personal favorites, and of those three, Jillian reallly sticks out to me. I would consider it myself if my neice wasn't names Lillian. :-) Best of luck!
Evie

#10 SweetEvie

SweetEvie

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

Oh, and I would consider Claire Elizabeth as an option, if Elizabeth appeals to you.

#11 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:53 PM

I agree that Claire Elizabeth would be lovely. I love these two names paired together, but would never be able to use it since my cousin already named his daughter this.

#12 Alda

Alda

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

Catherine would probably work as a middle name for any of your picks. You can never go wrong with it. I also love it as a first name, though. How about Catherine Olivia or Catherine Eve?

Clara would be a fresh alternative to Claire and it would probably be easier to find a middle name to go with it.

Erica and Allison have unfortunately become quite dated. [I actually really like Alice all by itself]

Jillian is very fresh, sweet, and not too common. :)

I also love the fact that you are considering so many family names...it's great when people use family names because it adds so much character, history, and meaning to them.

best wishes!

#13 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:57 PM

Emma Justine
Jillian Kay
Catherine Victoria
Rebecca Eve
Olivia Margaret

are our top five what do you think?

#14 lucy

lucy

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:I have 5 kids: Samara (Sammi), Kimberley (Kimmy), Lauren (Lolly), Bianca (Bee) and Jessamine (Jem)

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:17 PM

Catherine Victoria is gorgeous, as is Jillian Kay.

I like Emma Justine in theory, but I don't think Emma goes to well with your last name.

The other combos are lovely, but Catherine Victoria is definitely my favourite.

#15 Hannah

Hannah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,785 posts
  • Interests:I love writing, reading, sports of any kind(my favorites being basketball & soccer), music, and hanging out with my friends and family.

AND, I of course love thinking of baby names even though that is a VERY far in the future thing for me because I'm still young!

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

Emma Bridget Lehmer is a beautiful name!

Rebecca Isabel, very pretty, but Isabel is so common where I live I Just get sick of hearing it sometimes.
I think that Rebecca Annaleise would be lovely and it flows really well.

Catherine Erica is wonderful! And I love the family connections, a name is always so much more special when family is in it.

Olivia Kay is nice, but as you said, it's very popular and sometimes, really popular names are just so boring..
and this is one I see like that.

Brooke Eva is great, Brooke is beautiful and Eva compliemnts it well.

Erica Jillian is okay, I like Jillian a lot, but I agree that Erica could possibly be a little dated.

Allison Bridget just flows right off the tongue, very nice.

Jillian Kay is so beautiful :(

Eva Catherine is my favorite name on your list, it's so adorable, beautiful, and reminds me of a stunning young lady.

Claire Emma is very pretty.

#16 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

Catherine Victoria is my favorite out of your top 5, followed closely by Emma Justine.

#17 JENN2688

JENN2688

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:50 PM

Catherine Victoria is my favorite but Emma Justine is also nice! I prefer Catherine Victoria of all the names.

#18 katie.

katie.

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,257 posts
  • Interests:Reading, watching movies, swimming

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:15 AM

I think Catherine Victoria is a great, classic name.

#19 Alexis!

Alexis!

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Bones
    Mysteries
    Baking
    Photography
    Science
    Writing
    Reading

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:21 AM

Emma Justine - I love it. My only thing is people may think you stole it from Martina McBride, who has a 10 year old daughter with this name. I still love it thought.
Jillian Kay - It's nice, but it's not my favorite name. I don't really like Kay, and Jillian is only okay.
Catherine Victoria - I'm agreeing with the mass. Catherine Victoria is my favorite!! It's classic and timeless and perfect for a little girl and an adult!
Rebecca Eve - I prefer the spelling Rebekah, but it's a great name! I don't like Eve tho. I think its too popular with all the people naming their kids Eva, Eve and Evelyn.
Olivia Margaret - STUNNNNNIIINNNGGG!!! Love it!

In order, from favorite to least favorite:
Catherine Victoria
Olivia Margaret
Emma Justine
Rebecca Eve
Jillian Kay

#20 iamSAMiam

iamSAMiam

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:13 PM

I really like Cassidy. And this spelling of Bridgette. The other ones seem a bit overdone, not trendy, but overdone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users