• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gelika

Gelika

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:11 PM

Dear all, please help me! My husband would like to name our coming son Wilfred. It sounds good for me too and it is great with the last name. But i've heared that it is too old (in general we like old fashioned and unusual names) and also that awfull serial !!!
How do you think? And if yes, what middle names go with it?
Thank you!!!!

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

I'm not sure which awful serial you mean?  There is a TV series by the name Wilfred but I feel it would be more of a plus because it throws Wilfred into current pop culture and makes it more wearable.   I think what is most important is your stated you and your husband like old fashioned names.  Wilfred can be considered old fashioned but if you and your husband like it then I wouldn't worry about it.  A lot of old fashioned names are coming back in use and Wilfred will fit right in with them.

Here is a recent article by Abby Sandel at Appelation Mountain. Although Wilfred isn't on this list, Alfred and Franklin and a lot of other similar style names are. It is a style that is ready for revival. http://appellationmo...ing-a-comeback/

#3 Gelika

Gelika

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:25 PM

I'm not sure which awful serial you mean?  There is a TV series by the name Wilfred but I feel it would be more of a plus because it throws Wilfred into current pop culture and makes it more wearable.   I think what is most important is your stated you and your husband like old fashioned names.  Wilfred can be considered old fashioned but if you and your husband like it then I wouldn't worry about it.  A lot of old fashioned names are coming back in use and Wilfred will fit right in with them.

Here is a recent article by Abby Sandel at Appelation Mountain. Although Wilfred isn't on this list, Alfred and Franklin and a lot of other similar style names are. It is a style that is ready for revival. http://appellationmo...ing-a-comeback/

Thank you so much for your reply! I mean the series about dog. Do you speak about the same? Unfortunately some people associate Wilfred with this film. I am hesitating. And thanks a lot for the link! We can also consider some names from that list.

#4 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:32 AM

I think Wilfred is okay, though I prefer William/Wilson as far as Wil- names go.

My advice is always if you love it, use it. You can always use Will or Freddy/Freddie as nicknames. 

Here are some middle name ideas:

Wilfred Simon

Wilfred Peter

Wilfred Henry

Wilfred Isaac

Wilfred Sebastian

Wilfred Alexander

Wilfred Theodore

Wilfred Amias

Wilfred Caspar

Wilfred Tobias

Wilfred Stellan 

Wilfred Sterling

Wilfred Alistair

#5 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:48 AM

Thank you so much for your reply! I mean the series about dog. Do you speak about the same? Unfortunately some people associate Wilfred with this film. I am hesitating. And thanks a lot for the link! We can also consider some names from that list.

Yes, My SO loves that show. :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users