7 replies to this topic

#1 Dominique

Dominique

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:11 PM

So I have yet another question to ask on these message boards, this time about hyphened last names. Are you all for them or against them? Personally I am for them and plan on using them. I figure I am busting my butt in college to get my masters and then one day get my phd to not give the credit to somebody elses families last name lol I am keeping my last name if I get married and then if I have kids just hyphenate their name between my husbands and mine. Does that sound crazy to do? I hear about it happening a lot, but around here its just not something people seem to do.

#2 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:44 AM

It doesn't sound crazy at all, but I would only do the hyphenated surname if both surnames were rather short.
For me, it wasn't a very appealing option since my maiden name was 9 letters. I was SOOO happy to change my name to one that was only 4 letters long after I got married.

#3 Liz

Liz

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:24 PM

I plan on taking my (future) husband's surname because I think it unifies you as a family and I want to have the same last name as the rest of my immediate family, particularly my children. My accomplishments are mine, no matter what my name is, so it doesn't feel like I'm crediting someone else for my accomplishments. Then again, my surname is my dad's stepdad's and he (the stepdad) died when I was a toddler and I've never met anyone else in that family, so I feel no real connection to the name anyway.

It doesn't particularly bother me if other people hyphenate their last name, as long as they are consistent. I have to deal with medical records at work, and it's annoying and confusing when people sometimes hyphenate their surname and sometimes don't. Are Sally Smith-Jones and Sally Smith the same Person? And if someone asks about Sally Jones and we have Sally Smith-Jones on file, we're going to have a hard time connecting the records. Now, if she's always Sally Smith-Jones, it's not much of a problem. Some places have computer software that apparently doesn't accommodate hyphens, because I've seen stuff like Sally Smithjones which adds another layer of confusion. I do think you have to be careful about how the names work together. Some sound kind of dumb (I've seen Johnson-Nelson which sound silly to me) and some are just so long and cumbersome.

#4 Dominique

Dominique

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

Well for me I would keep my last name of Boivin. Its french, something I am very proud of and when said properly very beautiful. I personally wouldnt ask my future hubby to change his name since Im not willing to change mine. I figure if I married my current bf whos lastname is Murawski then if we had kids their lastname would be Boivin-Murawski. Kind of long, but both of us are really connected to our ethnic backgrounds and proud of our lastnames. I understand about the confusion, but I figure since my lastname is not a common one it helps a little because how many Boivins is somebody going to have on file when they are looking you up even if the name is hyphenated? lol.

#5 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

I personally think this is fine. I know people who have donet he exact thing. ir ecently read something that told girls to keep their last name, haha. I think this would be fine for youto do, especially since it seems to work out nicely.

#6 Dominique

Dominique

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the good advice everyone it helps to talk it out with people who aren't related and bias to the names.

#7 Jellybean

Jellybean

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:-Watching movies<br />-Reading (specially poetry)<br />-Writing<br />-Playing with my daughter<br />-Travelling<br />-Learning different languages

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

I think it looks very neat!
My little girl has my last and my husband's,but with no hyphen.
In Brazil kids usually have only one name (no mn),then the mother's ln and the father's.

#8 iamSAMiam

iamSAMiam

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:05 PM

Well... this is a rather sticky subject. I remember when I was in seventh grade, I knew a girl with the last name Quirk-Royal, which sounded really really REALLY cool. BUT then I also had a teacher that same year with the last name Barnes-Cardinale, which sounded awful. I think it depends. When I get married, I plan on taking my husband's name (unless it's something awful, like Belcher). My last name isn't all that interesting, but it flows well with my first name and there isn't really any way to be made fun of with my name. If I ever somehow do something really big and awesome, though, I'll probably use a pen name like Mark Twain did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users