• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 coyote19

coyote19

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Traveling, Japan, Languages, and Names : )

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:10 AM

I'm pretty into folktales, fairytales, mythology, and old literature : ) I was wondering if there's any names you love from any of those mediums? Any neat literature names that you love whether you'd use them or not? As for me I have a soft spot for the name Hansel from the well known fairytale Hansel and Gretel XD clearly I can never use it!
  • ßlush likes this

#2 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

I adore Horatio and Ophelia from Shakespeare's Hamlet and Claudia from Interview With A Vampire by Anne Rice! I'm also partial to Beowulf from Beowulf! Another I like is Penryn from Penryn and the End of Days.

(Whoops!) :P

#3 ßlush

ßlush

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Paying off student loans & over-priced coffee.

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

Um, Shakespeare didn't write Beowulf?

Hmm, some of my favorites are Ophelia (Hamlet), Juliet (Romeo and Juliet), and Alice (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland).(:

#4 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

Um, Shakespeare didn't write Beowulf?

Hmm, some of my favorites are Ophelia (Hamlet), Juliet (Romeo and Juliet), and Alice (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland).(:

Gah! Yeah, sorry, I got myself mixed up when I was thinking of the names from Hamlet! Sorry bout that! :P

#5 coyote19

coyote19

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Traveling, Japan, Languages, and Names : )

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

@Babynamerater I like Ophelia as well : ) it has such a lovely sound but I don't think I'd ever use it even if I love when others do! Penryn is interesting, it's got a sort of Welsh feel to it which I like a lot! It's going to be a new gp of mine XD
Beowulf as a lot of great old names in it! Cain, Finn, Fitela I even like Grendel! Heming is very neat as well and I've been playing around with a version of Hengest : )

@Blush I'll always have a soft spot for the name Alice, I honestly think it's one of the perfect names out there : ) however I can never pair it with middle names that are just right XD any thoughts?

#6 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

I adore the name Briar Rose, which is basically as fairytale as it can get, lol.

I also think Alexander Helios and Cleopatra Selene (Cleopatra's twins) are gorgeous name. Also, quite fond of Octavia.

#7 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

I love literary names // fairy tale names :)

Hansel is handsome! x i may be one of few, but I see it working as a name on a child of this day fine. Not only because 'creative' and 'unique' names are in, but because it just feels like a proper name. Hans works fine on boys, I've seen it before. Why not Hansel? Plus I think Hansel and Gretel is a fine reference. Idk :)

I adore Briar Rose as Rose mentioned, and I LOVE Ophelia!!! I'd totally use it but I doubt Mike would. I love Hamish and Horatio, Juliet, Alice, and basically every name mentioned above. I'll be back later with suggestions x

xoxo Remy (via ipod)

#8 ßlush

ßlush

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

Gah! Yeah, sorry, I got myself mixed up when I was thinking of the names from Hamlet! Sorry bout that! :P

Haha, it's finee! I was just sort of confused for a sec. I kept going over in my head, "Well, did Shakespeare write his own version of Beowulf?" Lol.

@Babynamerater I like Ophelia as well : ) it has such a lovely sound but I don't think I'd ever use it even if I love when others do! Penryn is interesting, it's got a sort of Welsh feel to it which I like a lot! It's going to be a new gp of mine XD
Beowulf as a lot of great old names in it! Cain, Finn, Fitela I even like Grendel! Heming is very neat as well and I've been playing around with a version of Hengest : )

@Blush I'll always have a soft spot for the name Alice, I honestly think it's one of the perfect names out there : ) however I can never pair it with middle names that are just right XD any thoughts?

I would totally use Ophelia as a middle name (only because I like other names more and I'd rather use them in the fn spot) regardless of how "tragic" some people think Ophelia is. I actually don't find it that way at all. Tons of names have been used that, at one time or another, didn't have such great meanings. I don't think it's a drawback.
As for Alice...I've never actually tried to come up with middle names for Alice, so I'm afraid I'm zero help. Sorry. :/ Although, the combo Alice Florence just popped into my head...WDYT?(:

#9 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

I would totally use Ophelia as a middle name (only because I like other names more and I'd rather use them in the fn spot) regardless of how "tragic" some people think Ophelia is. I actually don't find it that way at all. Tons of names have been used that, at one time or another, didn't have such great meanings. I don't think it's a drawback.

Actually, thats not even the reason I wouldn't use Ophelia. Same with my boyfriend. We don't mind the tragic ending, cause as you said, tons of names have been used like that at some point or another. Mike has an issue with the teasing potential. Ophelia = oh-feel-ya. (well, I say it oh-FEE-lee-uh, but some people say it as oh-feel-ya and that can sound really wrong). I love Ophelia anyway though, and the nick name Fili/Feelee/idk how I'd spell it. But FEE-lee in sound :)

Hmm, I think it'd take too long to list out all of my loved fairy tale names and all... but most books have good names to them. At least one :P And sometimes just reading a book and bonding with a character really adds favor to a name! I would have never thought twice about the name Alaska until I read the book "Looking for Alaska" by John Green. I really bonded with her, the story was touching. Definitely a favorite of mine. And especially at that time I had it on my list. Now, I haven't thought so much of it. But its still a GP I suppose. Same with other books/fairy tales/etc :)

#10 xxThePumpkinQueenxx

xxThePumpkinQueenxx

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:singing, writing, reading, psychology, science, math, forensics, children, going to church, being with my family and SEC football. War Eagle!

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

I adore the name Briar Rose, which is basically as fairytale as it can get, lol.

I also think Alexander Helios and Cleopatra Selene (Cleopatra's twins) are gorgeous name. Also, quite fond of Octavia.

I've always adored Briar Rose as well!

I also like Aurora and Desdemona

:wub:

#11 ßlush

ßlush

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

Actually, thats not even the reason I wouldn't use Ophelia. Same with my boyfriend. We don't mind the tragic ending, cause as you said, tons of names have been used like that at some point or another. Mike has an issue with the teasing potential. Ophelia = oh-feel-ya. (well, I say it oh-FEE-lee-uh, but some people say it as oh-feel-ya and that can sound really wrong). I love Ophelia anyway though, and the nick name Fili/Feelee/idk how I'd spell it. But FEE-lee in sound :)

Hmm, I think it'd take too long to list out all of my loved fairy tale names and all... but most books have good names to them. At least one :P And sometimes just reading a book and bonding with a character really adds favor to a name! I would have never thought twice about the name Alaska until I read the book "Looking for Alaska" by John Green. I really bonded with her, the story was touching. Definitely a favorite of mine. And especially at that time I had it on my list. Now, I haven't thought so much of it. But its still a GP I suppose. Same with other books/fairy tales/etc :)

Well my comment wasn't aimed really at anyone in particular, haha, I've just come across soo many forums about people saying they wouldn't use Ophelia because of Hamlet. So nice to hear someone else wouldn't be daunted by that!(:
Alaska is so pretty, btw.

Ohh, Aurora is one of my GPs/names-I'd-possibly-use-in-RL. It is beautiful.

#12 Guest_cookiesnatcher_*

Guest_cookiesnatcher_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

Aurora and Ophelia are so pretty. I would probably never use either one myself as a first name, but they're very pretty as middles. <3

I have so many of these. I draw my name inspiration from books a lot. A few of the more common names that books turned me on to are Emma (Emma) and Catherine (Wuthering Heights). I also like Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights. Then there's Caroline and Georgiana from Pride and Prejudice, Josephine, Margaret, and Laurence from Little Women, and Scarlett, Melanie, and Rhett from Gone With the Wind. I also got warmed up to Arabella through Pickwick Papers. Then there's Isadora (Fear of Flying), Rue, and Primrose. I also like Romeo and Juliet. (: And a book called Chasing Brooklyn really made me like the name Brooklyn. I'm reading a book called The Language of Flowers right now and the heroine's name is Victoria. I've never really thought twice about that name but I'm starting to like it.

As for mythology names, I like Apollo and Orion, although I would never use either. I also like Artemis because I think the goddess is awesome. Demeter is pretty too.

Ohh, I like Jasmine (Aladin) and Anastasia (Anastasia). Those were movies I watched a lot as a kid. (:

Sorry for so many names! But you asked.

#13 ßlush

ßlush

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

@cookiesnatcher: You made me remember soo many great names that I love that I'd forgotten I'd found in books! Georgiana has been a personal love of mine for years, ever since I read/watched Pride and Prejudice for the first time. I love Rhett (both the character and the name ;)). I've recently been warming up to Heathcliff/Heath also, and I love Charlotte from Ms. Bronte.
I remembered a few more...
After reading The Coffin Quilt (about the feud between the Hatfields and the McCoys - very depressing book, btw), I started liking the name Fanny a lot. That was years ago, and the name has still stuck. Not saying it's one I would ever use as the teasing potential here is too great, but still...
One of my favorite names is from a series of books I read as a child that I still love and sometimes read occasionally - the Elsie Dinsmore books. Some people say Elsie reminds them of a cow, but I think it's so pretty, girly, and Southern. So cute! I also discovered Adelaide from that series. :wub: And Enna!
Another favorite childhood book I read a lot was Voyage on the Great Titanic: The Diary of Margaret Ann Brady. I first saw the name Nora there and I still haven't gotten over it; it's such a lovely name! Def one of my favorites.(:
Great thread, coyote19! I didn't realize so many of my favs came from literature.

#14 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

Well my comment wasn't aimed really at anyone in particular, haha, I've just come across soo many forums about people saying they wouldn't use Ophelia because of Hamlet. So nice to hear someone else wouldn't be daunted by that!(:
Alaska is so pretty, btw.

I hope I didn't come off as rude there, sorry!! I'm rereading it and it seems to be a bit snippy :mellow: so I wanted to apologize <3 But I agree, there are many people who simply wont use it because of Hamlet! And thank you! <3

btw I love Aurora! Its just so beautiful.. I picture it working well irl! <3

Aly, I agree with PP! You reminded me of quite a few names I loved through books <3 Ahhh so many pretty ones <3

Oh, now to think about it, I've had Eris in mind for a while. I kinda like it, kinda don't. Its so pretty, but its the name of the Goddess of Chaos in mythology. :( I also like Calliope, the muse of music. I wont use it (mainly because Mike says its a no therefor giving me no usage room ;) ), but its pretty as well. I'm not very familiar with mythology though, so I wouldn't know many of the names there.

If I think of more I'll post them, but I can't think of any now <3

#15 ßlush

ßlush

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

Oh, no you didn't seem rude! Don't worry about it - no need to apologize.(:

How do you pronounce Eris? I'm curious...never seen that name before.

#16 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

Good, good! :)

But Eris is pronounced air-is, with the s being soft (not how is is when you say it like izzz). :)

#17 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Oh man....I loved mythology names when I younger. Orion was a favorite as was Aries. Persephone was nice but nobody in my family could say it.
Isis was another great one. Set too, but my family thought Set was odd and I'm not a big Seth fan. Loki is my favorite of the Norse gods, underused. Especially compared to Thor. Fenrir and Odin's ravens, Huggin & Munnin (Thought & Memory) always stood out to me too.

#18 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

This nameberry list has some interesting fictional princess names: http://nameberry.com...Princess-Names.

#19 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

I really liked Wayland when I was in highschool. Wayland being a Norse God.

I also really like the book Wildwood Dancing, it is basically a retelling of the "12 Dancing Princesses" fairy tale with a bit of "The Frog Prince" thrown in. The story takes place in Romania and there are only five sister: Tatiana "Tati", Jenica "Jena", Paula, Iulia (Julia) and Stela. I really fell for a lot of the names from this book. Some of the male leads are brothers Costi & Cezar (in Wildwood Dancing) and Daurte (a name I find dashing) in the sequel, Cybele's Secret.

AND I LOVE OPHELIA! It was actually the name of one of my great-great grandmothers. I'd love to use it in the middle name spot. I think it is completely usable and I see nothing wrong with the Hamlet connection. Heck I'd use it as a first name except that its a bit too 'lacey' for my taste.

#20 xxThePumpkinQueenxx

xxThePumpkinQueenxx

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:singing, writing, reading, psychology, science, math, forensics, children, going to church, being with my family and SEC football. War Eagle!

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

I had forgotten about Tigerlily :wub:
and Anastasia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users