• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa619

Lisa619

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

My husband’s late mother’s name was "Delma" and everyone called her "Del". I don’t love "Delma" but I don’t hate it either so it's not completely off the table. We’d like to honor her in some way. I found "Adella" and think it’s really pretty. NN would be "Della" or "Del". My mother’s full first name is "Mary Lou" so I’d like to incorporate her name too.

I'm leaning towards "Adella Lou Powell" but am afraid it's a mouth full of too many L's with our last name. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

BTW-I'm 38 weeks so we need to make a decision ASAP!

#2 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

Adella Mary Powell would be a beautiful option with a few less L's. I agree that Adella Lou Powell has too many L's, and the first and middle just don't flow so great.

If you're set on Lou, however-
Some other first name options with the nickname "Del" or "Della":
Madeline (maDELine) - I know two Madelines who go by Dell/Della
Adelaide (aDELaide)
Delaney (DELaney)
Delancey (DElancey)
Delilah (DELilah)

#3 Truffle_Berry

Truffle_Berry

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Adella with the nickname Della is darling! I like the idea of Adella Lou (and of course the sentiment if it) but out loud it does feel L-heavy/tongue twisterish. The -la Lou part would sound nicer of broken up. If in the end it's what your heart is set on, then I think it can still work - you just have to sacrifice a bit of flow.

Alternatively, have you considered Adella Mary Lou Powell? Is there another meaningful family name you can insert before Lou? I think Addy's suggestion of going with just Mary is a nice alternative too. I'm sure you and hubby will make the perfect choice!

#4 neverland

neverland

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:17 AM

When I say it out loud I find myself saying it very slowly and carefully so I guess that means it's too L heavy. :( Addy made some good suggestions!

#5 Untitled

Untitled

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:43 AM

Adella is pretty! Adella Mary flows really nicely and sounds better than Adella Lou.

#6 Lisa619

Lisa619

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:14 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions and feedback. I really appreciate it!

I agree that it needs to broken up somehow. His mom's middle name was Rae. Maybe Adella RaeLou Powell? I dont know, that kind of sounds like I'm just making stuff up now.

The good news is that we're having a surprise so maybe the girl's name is a mute point because we are set on a boy's name...Samuel Anthony Powell. Samuel was hubby's late father's name and Anthony is my day's name.

Thanks again!

#7 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

RaeLou does seem pretty made up, sorry :(

Adella Reagan Lou Powell? That way you honor both mothers, Rae derived from Reagan. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users