#1 thenamer007

thenamer007

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, writing, naming

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:04 PM

It's from the Bible, it's pronounced with a long O like robe.

What do you guys think of this name? Do you think it'll be mispronounced as the word job too much?

#2 Marvelous_Things

Marvelous_Things

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,673 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, psychology, history, literature, anime, cosplay, and names.

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

My first thought was that I wouldn't  use it as a name because of all the terrible things that happened to Job in the Bible. Then again, he did manage to keep the faith with God despite all his trials, so the name could be seen as being uplifting as well. As far as pronunciation goes, I think if someone saw it written down as an obvious name, then they would pronounce it with the long O.  All in all, I think it's perfectly usable, and is good if you want to give your child a Biblical name that is uncommon.

#3 Barbie

Barbie

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, sign language, riding horses, volunteering, working with children, and teaching martial arts!

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

I agree exactly with Marelous_Things! :)

As a name, it would probably be read the right way, and it is an inspiring yet not that common Bible name. It would also probably work well as a middle.

#4 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:38 AM

My first thought was to pronounce it like job, but I haven't read the bible so I have no idea who Job is. I think it could pose a problem that way, but if you're around Christians most of the time who would have read the bible and know who he is then I don't see a problem.

#5 pinkmonkey23

pinkmonkey23

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:Names ⌇ My children ⌇ Supernatural ⌇ I-Zombie ⌇ Lucifer ⌇ Arrowverse ⌇ Jane the virgin ⌇ The Originals ⌇ The Vampire Diaries [Before it ended]

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:02 AM

I would say being that it is said like robe.. why not spell it - Jobe or Johb /Johbe or perhaps Joeb?  so you are getting the ooooh part in the middle rather than just Job. I would assosiate those spellings as a long ohhh sound :) x hth x

OR thinking about it jobey / joby / Jobie.. said like coby/Kobe or toby

#6 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:02 AM

I think most people are at least vaugly familiar with Job as a name and if they aren't its fairly easy to say it rhymes with Robe and them get it.
I personally like the story of poor Job but its a name I like more on someone else's kid.

#7 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

I like the name Job, but because it is so easily mispronounced, I prefer the similar sounding Jove.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users