#1 maisieblue17

maisieblue17

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Writing, dance, and names!

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:39 PM

Hello, everyone! I'm expecting our third child, due in January, whose sex we're keeping a surprise. This has made choosing the name so much more difficult, especially when it comes to boys. I have a hard time falling in love with boy names. I could list about 20,000 girl names I love but only maybe 20 boy names (most of which have been vetoed by the DH). I seem to make a new list every week or so with names I say I love, only to stop loving them after a few days. I'm so worried that this baby will be a boy, and I'll give him a name that I think I love at the time, only to stop loving the name a week after he's born. 

Our son was a bit difficult to name too, but at least we knew his sex at this point. We both loved the nickname Caz, so using that, we worked backwards until we found a full name: Cassian. Even then I had name remorse. It was between Caspian and Cassian in the end, and we obviously chose Cassian when he was born, but I spent almost the first year of his life wondering if we should've gone with Caspian. I got over it eventually, but I don't wanna do that again. 

We've tried doing the same thing as before but there's no nickname that we both love. We both like Dashiell nn Dash, but I'd like to have other options. We also like Dax but can't find any full names we like. 

How can I learn how to fall in love with a boy name?

#2 Laney

Laney

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Jem cartoon, ER, CSI: Miami, Full House, Sailor Moon (original anime and live-action), Flashpoint, Felicity, ID channel, Food Network baking competitions, MasterChef/MasterChef Junior/Junior MasterChef Australia, movies (mostly 80's and 90's), writing/reading fan-fiction, baking, vegan cooking, photography, traveling, cats, books and tv shows/movies about female murderers, swimming, bowling, drawing, surfing the internet, forensics, Netflix, 80's and 90's music, picture editing, shopping, coffee (decaf mostly, but I love mocha Frappuccinos too)

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:22 PM

I totally know that feeling.  I can't find many boys' names that I'm in love with either.  I have a few on my list, but I'm not sure if I like them enough to use them and I go back and forth a lot.  I like something that's classy and spelled nicely (no trendy or made up spellings), but not too common.   Maybe you could find another name with the -an sound for the new baby?  I think it would fit well with your other kids' names.

What name do you have in mind for a girl?

I like your kids' first names by the way.  I like Cassian better than Caspian and Viviana is gorgeous!  :)

#3 maisieblue17

maisieblue17

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:57 PM

Thank you! Another -an name, hmmm. I have Evander in my signature right now!

For a girl, I think we've narrowed it down to Fiona, Aveline, Elowen, and Rhiannon. See what I mean about so many girl names? 

#4 Laney

Laney

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Jem cartoon, ER, CSI: Miami, Full House, Sailor Moon (original anime and live-action), Flashpoint, Felicity, ID channel, Food Network baking competitions, MasterChef/MasterChef Junior/Junior MasterChef Australia, movies (mostly 80's and 90's), writing/reading fan-fiction, baking, vegan cooking, photography, traveling, cats, books and tv shows/movies about female murderers, swimming, bowling, drawing, surfing the internet, forensics, Netflix, 80's and 90's music, picture editing, shopping, coffee (decaf mostly, but I love mocha Frappuccinos too)

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:05 PM

I love Fiona for a girl.  Beautiful!  It's one of my favorites too.  :)

Evander works well with your other kids' names.

#5 ashtona731

ashtona731

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:29 PM

I know the feeling! I love naming girls! On my boy name list, I put a few names with cute nicknames. Hopefully, you'll like one of them too!

Elijah---Eli

Alexander---I mostly have this as a middle name, but I would use the nickname "Xander" (I know it's not much shorter, but I've never really cared for "Alex.")

Zachary---I wouldn't use a nickname because I absolutely adore this name, but "Zach" is a possibility.

Nicolas---Nick

Matthew---Matt

William---Will

Ronald---Ron

James---Again, I would call him James, but there are "Jim" and "Jamie"

Charles---Charlie

These aren't on my list, but they're still cute:

Maxwell or Maximus---Max

Benjamin---Ben

Oliver---Ollie

Finley---Finn

Theodore---Theo

Dexter, Declan, Deacon, or Derek---Dex

Samuel or Samson---Sam

Thomas---Tom

Gabriel---Gabe

#6 maisieblue17

maisieblue17

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:15 PM

Thank you! I'm really liking Deacon right now, but I'm worried that means I'll stop liking it by next week. I also like Dexter, plus it honors, but DH can't get over the TV show. Those names are really nice and classic, but most are too popular for us. 

#7 ashtona731

ashtona731

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 972 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:46 PM

I'm glad I could at least give suggestions.
Have you considered:
Ezekiel---Zeke
Ryker---Ry
Jackson---Jax
Jeremy---Jem (I wouldn't ever use this name, even though I love To Kill a Mockingbird. If you love it, too, you might like this name. Another name form TKAMB is Atticus.)
Agustus---Gus

If you find a name you love, try listing all the reasons you love it. If you ever start thinking you don't, go back and look at that list to remember why you first loved it.

#8 maisieblue17

maisieblue17

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

I hadn't even thought about Jem. My husband minored in English, so he loves literature. TKAM is definitely a great namesake, although I'm not sure I would use Jeremy. Atticus is nice, but doesn't have an obvious nickname (and DH says the second book ruined the character for him. I never read it because of that). 

I like the idea of the list. That might help. I've also seen people who say that they fall in love with the name as soon as it becomes associated with their kid. Maybe that means there's a chance I won't end up hating the name we choose. Or maybe I can hope for a girl ;) Thank you!

#9 ashtona731

ashtona731

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 972 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:55 PM

You're welcome! Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users