• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:35 PM

Okay, be honest. I need thoughts on

Ira

and

Terence "Terry"

both for boys.

Ira is pronounced eye-ruh. It's a biblical name. It's so charming, sounds very Jewish imo, but I don't mind. I like distinctive names.

I won't lie, Terry originally stems from my love of Steve McQueen (it's his first name, Terence Steven McQueen), I've loved him as an actor since I was just a little girl, his movies were some of my favorites growing up, they remind me of when times were better, y'know? Not to mention, he's like the greatest actor of all time. (I recently had a McQueen movie marathon, so that's why my sig has his face all over it and I started thinking about Terence again, lol :P). Also, there is a Terry in my life now that walked through the death of my parents with me, he was my basketball coach but took a personal interest in me and I think it would be really cool to honor him. 

Oh, and also, what about

Nancy

and

Ellis

for girls.

I've been crushing on Nancy for a while, with all of her nicknames in tow. Nance is probably my favorite nickname. Is Nancy too dated? What if she were paired with something more modern, ie Nancy Harlow or Nancy Juniper (not those specifically)?

I fell hard and quickly when I hear Ellis used on Grey's Anatomy for Meredith and Derek's 3rd. I know this makes me seem media crazed with both Terence and Ellis on my prospective list, but I swear it isn't often I get my naming ideas from movies/television, lol! 

Thanks, all!

-Addy

#2 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

Ira is the name of a car selling company with incredibly annoying radio commercials around here, so I'm biased against it  :lol: It almost sounds feminine to me though, a la Isla, Iris, etc. 

Terence "Terry" is okay, but I also have a personal bias against it. I knew one who was mean.. sorry :( 

Nancy feels like its dated, but not dated enough to feel fresh like Charlotte, Beatrice, etc. It feels like Donna, Pamela, Shirley, and such. Like it belongs on our moms age. 

I love Ellis on a girl! I know a lady with a daughter named Ellis and it makes me think of her.. she was so cute. Plus I just think it sounds sweet. I like "elle" names in general. 

• Addison likes this

#3 HaydensMama18

HaydensMama18

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts
  • Interests:My son, baby naming, singing, dancing, helping others

Obsessed with WWE & TNA

Favorite viners & youtubers: The Gabbie Show, Liza Koshy & Joe Santagato & Shane

My favorite actors are Grace Phipps & Garrett Clayton

Current favorite songs: Anything by Little Mix, Ariana Grande-Boyfriend Material & Anything by Bruno Mars

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:56 AM

Ira- It's nice, nms but unique in a good way :)

Terence *Terry*- I never personally liked Terence, it's just really nms

Nancy- To be honest, I love Nancy ;) but it just sits in my GP list because of how "dated" it seems...but I love it and it's beautiful!

Ellis- Ellis is pretty. I wouldn't use it myself, but it's cute on someone else's kid

• Addison likes this

#4 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:19 PM

I think Ira is really handsome and sweet. It's in the same ballpark as Ezra, which I adore, so I don't see why not. I recently watched The Age of Adaline and I believe it was the name of the old man in that movie, which is actually a good connotation. 

Terence is handsome (though I prefer it spelled Terrence), although am not a fan of Terry, partially due to a bad connotation. I love the meaning it has for you, though.

Honestly, I have the same opinion as Remy when it comes to Nancy. This is partly because I had a teacher for a while who often referred to herself by her first name, which was Nancy. This woman was 50-60 years old and it fit her, and I'm just not sure it's ready for a revival yet. That said, I would keep it if you really like it, because I feel like it could grow on me fast, especially if it was on an adorable little girl.

When I first heard Ellis, I wanted to place it on a boy. But after running it through my head a few more times I can see that it could be pretty sweet on a little girl, a fresh alternative to all the Elizabeths out there.

I just love your naming style in general, Addison. Classic but also a little daring. 

• Addison likes this

#5 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

When I first heard Ellis, I wanted to place it on a boy. But after running it through my head a few more times I can see that it could be pretty sweet on a little girl, a fresh alternative to all the Elizabeths out there.

I just love your naming style in general, Addison. Classic but also a little daring. 

Thank you so much! :)

I was actually considering adding Ellis to my list as a nickname for Elizabeth, but I was wondering if it was too much of a stretch. I had Elsie as what Elizabeth would go by, but I like Ellis a lot more. and I'm not really a fan of the Elisabeth spelling. What do you think?

#6 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:42 AM

I think Ellis as a nn for Elizabeth is lovely! It's a nice alternative to all the Lizzies and Ellies out there, though Elsie is a good one too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users