Photo

Rand v Randal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Poll: Rand v Randal (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Which first name do you prefer?

1. Randal nn Rand (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. Rand (5 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

Which middle name?

1. Rand(al) Starling (4 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. Rand Alvery (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Rand(al) ? [Your choice here] (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

I've had Rand on my list of boys names for a while now. I still really like the name, but I can't seem to find the perfect middle name to pair it with and I think my issue may be with the one syllable first name. At first I liked the idea of just Rand being the first name, but lately I've been playing around with the idea of Randal nn Rand...although I'm still opposed to the possible nickname Randy.

The two syllable, cultured classic Randal would give me a little more play with possible middle names, but I'm not sure I'm ready to give up the strong, simple & unadorned Rand as a first name. I'm not completely opposed to using a nickname, but most of my names do not have nicknames or are what many would consider being "nicknames" used as first names, so if I did use Randal nn Rand, it would probably be the only name with a longer form.

My favorite middle names at the moment are Rand Starling & Rand Alvery. Both loosely honor my grandfather Lark Alfred, Alvery being a variant form of Alfred and Starling being a bird name.

My issue with Rand Alvery is that it sounds very much like Randal Very, although I'm not sure if that is a bad thing or not :\.
Rand Starling is probably more the front runner but I still think the flow is a bit off, not sure if Randal Starling is any better :\

Thoughts?

#2 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

My issue with Rand Alvery is that it sounds very much like Randal Very, although I'm not sure if that is a bad thing or not :\.
Rand Starling is probably more the front runner but I still think the flow is a bit off, not sure if Randal Starling is any better :\

I was going to say the same on Rand Alvery, it does kinda sound like Randal Very :( Its not necessarily a horrible thing or anything, just not my cup of tea.

I like Rand(al) Starling, I think it kinda flows best as Rand Starling. Purely because the L in Randal and the L in Starling are noticeable together.

GL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users