• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Im loving this as a middle name, wdyt?

its pronounced AY-dell-wise. A flower. like in The Sound of Music :) I saw it on nameberry... I really love it <3 but there'd be spelling / pronunciation difficulties.

So, first name suggestions? Opinions?

#2 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

It's pretty! Don't think it could be pulled off as a first name, but it would be an adorable middle! It's a difficult name combo-wise. The first combo to come to my mind was Marley Edelwiess. Catherine Edelwiess is pretty, but a lot of syllables. June Edelwiess, Blythe Edelwiess, Brooke Edelwiess, Scarlett Edelwiess, Ruth Edelwiess, Noa Edelwiess, Violet Edelwiess.

#3 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

I think it's gorgeous, though if you're going for the German pronunciation it would sound more like vice than wise on the last syllable, but the v makes a softish sound, it's kinda hard to explain lol. It'd make a beautiful middle name, and I think I might actually steal it if that's okay?

Elsie Edelweiss would be cute but very repetitive lol. Hmm; Piper Edelweiss, Sophie Edelweiss, Willow Edelweiss (very plant-y), Georgia Edelweiss, Molly Edelweiss, Caroline Edelweiss. It's hard to pair, but I think it would be stunning in the right combo.

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:50 AM

It's pretty! Don't think it could be pulled off as a first name, but it would be an adorable middle! It's a difficult name combo-wise. The first combo to come to my mind was Marley Edelwiess. Catherine Edelwiess is pretty, but a lot of syllables. June Edelwiess, Blythe Edelwiess, Brooke Edelwiess, Scarlett Edelwiess, Ruth Edelwiess, Noa Edelwiess, Violet Edelwiess.

I think as a GP I'd have it a first, just cause I love the sound. But IRL I might consider it as a middle :) though I doubt Mike would go for it lol. 

Its a hard name to match up with! I think these combos are cute: Marley Edelweiss, June Edelweiss, Scarlett Edelweiss, Violet Edelweiss. Thanks girly! :D

I think it's gorgeous, though if you're going for the German pronunciation it would sound more like vice than wise on the last syllable, but the v makes a softish sound, it's kinda hard to explain lol. It'd make a beautiful middle name, and I think I might actually steal it if that's okay?

Elsie Edelweiss would be cute but very repetitive lol. Hmm; Piper Edelweiss, Sophie Edelweiss, Willow Edelweiss (very plant-y), Georgia Edelweiss, Molly Edelweiss, Caroline Edelweiss. It's hard to pair, but I think it would be stunning in the right combo.

I'm not sure if I'd care for the actual German pronunciation, I think I like wise better then vice :) Would that make me sound like an ignorant american to use a german word as a name and pronounce it a little wrong? :/ Feel free to steal it though! I technically stole it from Nameberry lol. Apparently someone actually did use this as a middle name, Alece Edelweiss :) 

I do like Elsie Edelweiss, but I agree its repetitive :/ I also like Piper Edelweiss, Sophie Edelweiss, and Caroline Edelweiss (even if that last ones a bit of a mouthful lol). I'm actually really liking Piper and Sophie with Edelweiss! Hmmmm :)

Thanks bunches!! <3

#5 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

It's certainly imteresting. I'd keep it as a middle name definitely. Elsie as a FN as someone suggested is really pretty

• Remy Hadley likes this

#6 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

I'm not sure if I'd care for the actual German pronunciation, I think I like wise better then vice :) Would that make me sound like an ignorant american to use a german word as a name and pronounce it a little wrong? :/ Feel free to steal it though! I technically stole it from Nameberry lol. Apparently someone actually did use this as a middle name, Alece Edelweiss :) 

I do like Elsie Edelweiss, but I agree its repetitive :/ I also like Piper Edelweiss, Sophie Edelweiss, and Caroline Edelweiss (even if that last ones a bit of a mouthful lol). I'm actually really liking Piper and Sophie with Edelweiss! Hmmmm :)

Thanks bunches!! <3

I don't think you'd sound ignorant, my brain just automatically pronounces it that way, but that's what 7 years of learning German will do to you lol. I think it sounds better with the harsh s sound at the end, more like wice if you don't like the v. Wise at the end sounds odd to my ears, but I can hear that it sounds nice, just odd to me lol. Glad you liked some of my options :-)

#7 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

Thanks Ashooles :)

And lol Hannah sure after taking German classes ANYTHING German kinda pops out at you :P Yeah it definitely sounds best with more of an S sound at the end, I wasn't quite sure how to describe that <3 I do say it more like vice then wise (with vice having that SSS as wise kinda has a zzz to it). 

#8 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 10,799 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

That's exactly how I'd describe the sound. The difference between the v and w sound wouldn't be that noticable, the v makes a very soft sound.

#9 genius

genius

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

Edelweiss reminds me of the swiss alps for some reason. I think there's a mountain or a town or something with that name there because it sounds really familiar to me. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users