Should your children's names match?

names

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Christina_*

Guest_Christina_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

Should your children's names match, as in traditional, unique, modern, biblical, etc? If you picked one kind of name for your first does that mean you should pick the same kind of name for your next? My daughter's name is Maci. If we have another one I really like the name Sarah for a girl and Toby for a boy. I've always been all for just going with the name you like but when I was pregnant with Maci we changed her name a dozen times before even finding out she was a girl because everyone always hated the names we picked out (all other choices were Baylen Michelle, Aurora Selene & Cassidy Irene btw). My husband finally just picked Maci (he chose the spelling as well I liked Macy better but I wanted him to pick the first name since we decided I would choose the name if she had been a boy). So since we have a Maci should the next baby be something like Sophia, Isabella or Emma for a girl or Aiden, Bryson or Bentley for a boy? Just would like your opinions please. If you went with a theme or have names that are totally opposite I would love the know what they are. Thank you everyone

#2 Strawberrygirl21

Strawberrygirl21

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Hi my mom did one letter Mackenzie and Madison. I don't think you have to do the same thing for all your children. If you like something else go with that name instead. Hope this helped! :)

#3 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

I don't think they have to really match in any way to me. My children have normal, common, classic middle names, Rose and James, but uncommon first names, Caia which is sort of new and trendy, and Magnus, which is very antique and vintage.

And when my mother named me and my siblings (of which there are 6, me being the oldest) all of us, except for my first sister, were given names that were in the Top 100 List of the years we were born. So we are Lauren, Paul, Brezzie, Ethan, Madelyn and Aubrey. They don't necessarily match per say but they do have a common link (their popularity) to tie them together.

Hope this helps!

#4 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

I am a firm believer in choosing names you like, not names that match. I'd think that if you choose names that match, you might end up hating them.

There's nothing wrong with Maci and Sarah, or Maci and Toby!
  • alyssa897 and Remy Hadley like this

#5 Riley_Jane

Riley_Jane

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Singing, Acting, Dancing, Writing, Names, Event Planning, Hiking, Fitness, Cooking, Baking, and Exploring new things!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Many people like themes for their children's names. I'm not against them, I think some themes are cute. But I do believe you should pick names you love, of course you want them to sound good together when you say them out loud, but they do not under any circumstance have to match! I think Maci and Sarah or Maci and Toby sound just fine!

#6 Ninan

Ninan

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

Just my two cents, but I think people tend to choose names that go together for their kids. It may not be obvious to others, and maybe not even intended. Like for the Maci/Sarah/Toby example - Maci and Sarah both have the 'ssss' sound in them and Maci and Toby both end in an 'eeee' sound. So while they are not overtly "matchy" they do go together sound-wise.

But yeah, I'm not into naming themes, especially really obvious ones. The closest I get to that is using honoring names in all my combos.
  • Strawberrygirl21 likes this

#7 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

I am a firm believer in choosing names you like, not names that match. I'd think that if you choose names that match, you might end up hating them.

There's nothing wrong with Maci and Sarah, or Maci and Toby!

I agree 100 percent with Ashleigh. Choose names you love.

Also, fun fact. My boyfriend's name is Baylen. The only other Baylen I've heard of is Drew Brees son. I've never heard it on a girl definitely.

#8 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,881 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

I'd chose love over a theme ;) ditto Ashleigh!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: names

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users