Momo Cicerone

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Interests:-Manga/Anime
    -Reality shows
    -Fanfiction (ages ago)
    -Books (Science fiction, Romance, Fantasy, Poetry, Adventure, Suspense, etc)
    -Shopping (shoes -watched too much Sex & the City)
    -Movies (and popcorn)
    -Surfing the internet
    -Video games (ages ago)
    -Dogs (Have an Alaskan Malamute named Zoe)
    -Karaoke (could stay all night long)
    -Drawing (ages ago, already lost my touch)

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:28 AM

So I happen to love names like Thomas, Benjamin, Phillip...

But they also happen to have a meaning which I don't necessary love.

I'm really having an issue with this. I really am, because I love meaningful names.

So my question is, did you check the meaning of your baby's name before naming him/her? Did it bother you?

I know people won't be asking the meaning of their names, but it's really becoming an issue to me.

I can't help it, it's just me.

What do you think about names with bad/weird/orwhaterveryouwouldn'tlike meanings?

#2 KristaDeanne

KristaDeanne

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:31 AM

Sure, I look at the meanings of the names that I fall in love with, I'm just curious like that. However, if I REALLY loved a name that had a meaing that I didn't care for, I don't think I would let it stop me from using it. And if someone asked me, "So, does little X's name mean anything significant?" I would simply tell them, "Hm, I dont know, I just fell in love with the name!" and they would more than likely (hopefully) drop it :D

#3 Jessica J

Jessica J

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Worship, singing, writing songs, being with friends and loved ones, reading, and watching movies.

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

Love names with great meanings. I think of a childs name as a wish that i am speaking into their lives. I have to admit that when I named my son Jayden, I didn't care what it meant but it turns out that it means "God has heard." Its not a wish for his life but maybe it will be a reminder to him that God hears us. I am more considerate with all things now that I am older so I imagine that my future childen will have names of things that I wish them to be or virtues that I wish them to have. I love the name Benicio which means benevolent one. Its a name that comes from the name Benedict or Benedictus. I also like Evangeline which is my wish that she will be an Evangelist.I love middle names like Truth, Honour, Valour, Hope, and Faith. One of my favorite names is Aurora and this is a name that I love because it is old and not frequently used. I love the look and sound but not so much the meaning..."Goddess of the Dawn," you know being a Christian I don't get down with Greek Mythology. Anyway, that is me and my opinion. You have to ask yourself if sound or meaning means more to you.

Jess

#4 Fez

Fez

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:31 PM

I love looking up the meaning of names! But that's just because I've always been interested in the etymology of words and the like. Whenever I hear/see a new name I like to find out its meaning. However, that doesn't mean I choose my names solely based on what they mean. If I love the name and it happens to have a great meaning, then it's a plus; but if it happens to have a bad meaning I don't rule it out just because of that.
For me, it's more about a name being meaningful , having a special significance to you (eg: if it honours a family member) , and not so much aboout having a "good" or "nice" meaning.
A name that comes to mind is Cecilia: it means "blind", but I still love it and I will probably use it some day because it's my mother's name + it reminds me of the novel "Atonement" (which I love), and the song by Simon and Garfunkel.

#5 Momo Cicerone

Momo Cicerone

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,022 posts
  • Interests:-Manga/Anime
    -Reality shows
    -Fanfiction (ages ago)
    -Books (Science fiction, Romance, Fantasy, Poetry, Adventure, Suspense, etc)
    -Shopping (shoes -watched too much Sex & the City)
    -Movies (and popcorn)
    -Surfing the internet
    -Video games (ages ago)
    -Dogs (Have an Alaskan Malamute named Zoe)
    -Karaoke (could stay all night long)
    -Drawing (ages ago, already lost my touch)

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for your replies, everyone. I really get to see your point of view.

Jessica J, I'm totally with you. I really love a meaningful name, and i think it is really important to voice that wish of ours in the name of our children.

I think we all want our chlidren to be great, good and virtuos people. I really do beleive that a name could reflect that. That is why it is so important to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users