11 replies to this topic

#1 misshaleyxo

misshaleyxo

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

I posted a poll last night for Mabel Henrietta and Beatrice Helena - and was promptly met with this comment;

'what grandmother's grave did you dig up these disgusting names from?' 

I've always been really insecure about everything, and names are something that I get really affected by. I know just about every name I like is old-fashioned, but are they really disgusting?

Maude

Mabel

Beatrice

Evelyn

Florence

Clara

Ada

Eleanor
Marilla

Dorothy

Margaret

Alice

Augusta

Ethel

Agnes

Edith

Dorothea

Elsie

Henrietta

Iris

Ivy

Josephine

Millicent

Minerva

#2 ElizabethRuth

ElizabethRuth

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Don't take comments like that too seriously. If you like a name own it!

Here are your names that I like :) My favorites are in Bold. 

Evelyn

Clara

Eleanor

Margaret

Alice

Edith

Elsie

Henrietta

Josephine

#3 Sunny Mummy! :)

Sunny Mummy! :)

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my beloved family, singing, dancing, writing (I have more than 10 novels on the go but never get the mind space time to finish any of them!), art, reading, spending quality time with Loved Ones, cooking (especially baking when I get the time), being outdoors in Nature enjoying God's GLORIOUS Creation (Bush walking, gardening etc), and... BABY NAMES have ALWAYS been an obsession for me!! :D

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

*HUGS* I'm SO sorry someone treated you like that! What they said reflects on them NOT you or your name choices!! There is NEVER a need for rudeness like that! I LOVE Beatrice Helena - sophisticated, sweet, fresh, and fun - and Mabel Henrietta is really sweet and quaint!! Half of the names on your list are on mine too!! <3

#4 Sami Marie

Sami Marie

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Names
    Movies
    Music
    Family

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

Old fashioned yes...disgusting not in the slightest. A lot of my list is traditional and probably even borderline old fashioned. I'll comment on each name below. The ones in red are on my lists somewhere. 

Maude - not my style but not disgusting. I'd rather see Matilda but thats me.

Mabel - has tons of "namesakes" for example Alexander Graham Bell's wife was Mabel also a silent film actress Maybelle Evelyn Taliaferro who died in 1979. 

Beatrice - has been used as a character name in several books and movies. As well as the Duke and Duchess of York named their daughter (25) Beatrice Elizabeth Mary. Also Paul McCartney's daughter is Beatrice (10). My favorite combo is Beatrice Kate.

Evelyn - actually know a 3 month old Evelyn. As one person said on another board "timeless and classic, will work wonderfully on an age"

Florence - famously the name of Florence Nightingale (1820-1910); used by rarely today. There are several famous bearers of this name in television and movies. 

Clara - actually know a 2 year old Clara. Altho I prefer Claire I do find Clara usable. Clara Barton founded the American Red Cross.

Ada - prefer as a nickname for Adelaide or some beginning in "Ad".  A name used by the Countess of Lovelace, whom was known as Ada Lovelace was actually born Augusta Ada King. 

Eleanor - great namesake is Eleanor Roosevelt. Also the name of Queens in England. My favorite combo is Eleanor Sophia. I feel like Eleanor is definitely usable and would age well. Theres so many nicknames that would work well for this as well. Also helping the "its so old-fashioned" feel to me would be using a nickname thats more modern.
Marilla - a variant of Amaryllis.  Definitely not my style but would be usable.

Dorothy - 

Margaret - my great grandmother's name was Margaret Reilly (Riley). Margaret doesnt flow well with our surname but otherwise i find it totally usable. Maggie Gyllenhaal is a famous bearer, whose full name is Margaret Ruth Gyllenhaal. As well as Meg Ryan (full name Margaret Mary Emily Anne Hyra). 

Alice - reminds me of Alice and Wonderland, and Alice from the Brady Bunch. A little cousin was named after an Alice but is Allison instead. Also reminds me of Alice Cullen. I do find it a tad bland and boring but with the right first or middle name to go with it...could really make it work. 

Augusta - Its the capital of Maine as well as Neville's grandmother's name in Harry Potter.  Has also been used as a name for several Princesses. 

Ethel - sadly my only association with Ethel is Lucy and Ethel from I Love Lucy.  But given I do see this comment on another board "Lily Allen (singer) and her husband Sam Cooper named their first daughter Ethel Mary (in 2011)" I do see Ethel as usable with the right middle name.

Agnes - prefer Agatha. Has been used as a character name for years. Trendy and popular in Sweden. Agnes Baden-Powell was the founder of the Girl Scouts. In Despicable Me, the youngest girl is Agnes.

Edith - My favorite combo is Edith Mary. My friend's grandma was Edith. She was an adorable little old lady. But I also find Edith usable with the right middle name and of course with a surname that flows well. A famous bearer is Edith Falco (aka Edie Falco from Nurse Jackie).

Dorothea - Kings have used Dorothea for their daughters for centuries. Dorothy to me would be a tad better. Its not my style either way but given the right combinations and such could work rather well. I'd have to nickname a young Dorothea. 

Elsie - nn for Elizabeth; very usable as a first name too.  I prefer Elise or Elizabeth over Elsie but as most uncommon and old-fashioned names its all in what its paired with. At least for me.

Henrietta - reminds me of Hetty from NCIS LA, she's the Operations Manager. 

Iris - bad association with a person bearing this name. Otherwise its totally usable. Jude Law has a daughter named Iris (in 2000). 

Ivy - reminds me sadly of IV like intravenous. But if you dont mind that or dont think of that...it'd be usable.

Josephine - My favorite combo is Josephine Skye. Has been a character in both books (ex. Little Women) and tv shows (ex. Dawson's Creek). As a character in Lemony Snickets' Series of Unfortunate Events. 

Millicent - I know a woman named Millicent I believe she's in her mid-twenties. Was used in Harry Potter for a Slytherin character. Its not my style but could work of course I'd want to nickname her.

Minerva - reminds me of Professor McGonagall in Harry Potter. Also Minnie Mouse was Minerva. 

• Sunny Mummy! :) likes this

#5 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

People just have no respect. These are the names I really like. I love old fashioned names.

Beatrice

Evelyn

Clara

Ada

Eleanor

Alice

Edith

Elsie

Henrietta

Ivy

Josephine

Millicent

#6 saree6

saree6

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Everyone has opinions, I don't think it was meant to be a personal attack just some harsh criticism! Don't take it to heart too much, your names are old fashioned and just might not be everyone's taste.

My faves are: Clara, Alice & Edith. 

#7 Arlaina101

Arlaina101

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

Maybelle Evelyn would be SO cute. I love classic and feminine names, which is what you have listed!

#8 sparks_fly

sparks_fly

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:any kind of music. books of all sorts. friends. soccer.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

I actually LOVE a lot of old fashioned names! 

Maude- This one is cute but nms

Mabel- I've just met a lot of cows named mabel, but its cute on a little girl! 

Beatrice- <3

Evelyn- Love love love 

Florence- This is a bit too old for me

Clara- One of my favorite 'old' names

Ada- Beautiful! 

Eleanor- This is one of my absolute favorite names ever
Marilla- Never heard this one, but its cute!

Dorothy- A little bit 'wizard of oz' for me

Margaret- Like the possibility of nn 'Maggie'

Alice- Adorable

Augusta- Not really for me

Ethel- Makes me think of I Love Lucy, but thats not bad :P

Agnes- Ok

Edith- Very pretty! 

Dorothea- Its nms 

Elsie- Love! 

Henrietta- Alright 

Iris- Very cute! 

Ivy- This one is growing on me (no pun intended :P)

Josephine- Cute and Classy!

Millicent- Nms

Minerva- Ok

#9 Mika Casey

Mika Casey

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

That's funny, because I saw your poll and told Remy that if we had a baby, Mabel Henrietta would be her name! ;)

Don't worry sweetie--some people are downright rude.

• Remy Hadley likes this

#10 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

Well thats incredibly rude and disrespectful!  :angry: Those are the same sorts of names on my list, so if they are disgusting, then I guess I've got a gross taste for names too ;) I'd have reported her comment. Theres no need for that :(

Maude - I love it. Its a guilty pleasure for me as I don't see myself using it in real life, but I really like it.

Mabel - no doubt, 100% I know I'd use this name for my firstborn girl if my OH didn't have a say hehe <3 Mabel just kinda makes my heart melt :) I love it. Sassy, sweet, and just so adorable all in one. I am so in love with it <3

Beatrice - for whatever reason, I don't care for Beatrice. Nothing particular, guess I don't love the sound. But its not a bad name, just not one I'd use. 

Evelyn - I like it, though I work for a store called "Crabtree & Evelyn" so my first thought is a botanists surname lol. But its a good name. I'd totally use its nick name, Evie, on a future daughter :) 

Florence - its alright, I would like it on someone elses kiddo <3

Clara - adorable

Ada - I love it :)

Eleanor - beautiful, I'd totally use this too <3

Marilla - I don't love it, but its a fine name

Dorothy - another I don't particularly love, but its alright

Margaret - cuuute <3

Alice - I really like!

Augusta - not my cup of tea

Ethel - cute

Agnes - adorable

Edith - aw I love it. I'd totally use it in real life <3

Dorothea - same as Dorothy, just nms

Elsie - aw I love it! This ones in my top 5, definitely! 

Henrietta - cuuuuuute

Iris - nms, but its nice

Ivy - I love Ivy so much!

Josephine - beautiful

Millicent - nice, I love nick name Millie :)

Minerva - Its one I'd adore on someone elses kiddo, though I'd not use on mine. 

I think your list is beautiful! We have such similar styles <3 

#11 misshaleyxo

misshaleyxo

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

Well thats incredibly rude and disrespectful!  :angry: Those are the same sorts of names on my list, so if they are disgusting, then I guess I've got a gross taste for names too ;) I'd have reported her comment. Theres no need for that :(

Maude - I love it. Its a guilty pleasure for me as I don't see myself using it in real life, but I really like it.

Mabel - no doubt, 100% I know I'd use this name for my firstborn girl if my OH didn't have a say hehe <3 Mabel just kinda makes my heart melt :) I love it. Sassy, sweet, and just so adorable all in one. I am so in love with it <3

Beatrice - for whatever reason, I don't care for Beatrice. Nothing particular, guess I don't love the sound. But its not a bad name, just not one I'd use. 

Evelyn - I like it, though I work for a store called "Crabtree & Evelyn" so my first thought is a botanists surname lol. But its a good name. I'd totally use its nick name, Evie, on a future daughter :)

Florence - its alright, I would like it on someone elses kiddo <3

Clara - adorable

Ada - I love it :)

Eleanor - beautiful, I'd totally use this too <3

Marilla - I don't love it, but its a fine name

Dorothy - another I don't particularly love, but its alright

Margaret - cuuute <3

Alice - I really like!

Augusta - not my cup of tea

Ethel - cute

Agnes - adorable

Edith - aw I love it. I'd totally use it in real life <3

Dorothea - same as Dorothy, just nms

Elsie - aw I love it! This ones in my top 5, definitely! 

Henrietta - cuuuuuute

Iris - nms, but its nice

Ivy - I love Ivy so much!

Josephine - beautiful

Millicent - nice, I love nick name Millie :)

Minerva - Its one I'd adore on someone elses kiddo, though I'd not use on mine. 

I think your list is beautiful! We have such similar styles <3 

thank you :-) I think I just needed a confidence boost after that! & Raven - Mabel Henrietta's one of my favourites :')

#12 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

There are a couple of people on the polls who say rude things solely to start arguments. Ignore them. I love your list!! :)

Maude - Pretty. Would age well!
Mabel - Love x10,000!
Beatrice - cute, and I love the nickname option Bea
Evelyn - sooo sweet. Favorite on your list!
Florence - not really my style, but would love to meet a little girl by this name
Clara - I love how it spices up Claire. I would love this to be my name.
Ada - nice
Eleanor - so sweet, and I am in love with the nickname Nora
Marilla - not my style, but still fine
Dorothy - strong connotations with Wizard of Oz, but still usable
Margaret - cute
Alice - cute
Augusta - not my personal style
Ethel - again not my personal style
Agnes - so cute. I know a few girls by the name :)
Edith - love this!
Dorothea - don't like it, but I love Thea! Sorry :(
Elsie - adorable
Henrietta - pretty in the middle spot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users