10 replies to this topic

#1 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

I've always loved this name and was recently reminded of it while looking for new girls' names for my list. My problem is this: even I have the inclination to pronounce Zoe as one-syllable, like "zo," and I feel like Zoë looks more finished. The only thing is that we don't use the two-dots-over-the-e (sorry, I don't know what it's called) in the English language. Do you think that would complicate things, or that it would be okay if I were to use the name Zoë for a future child? I really don't love Zoe as much (neither do I Zoey or other variations). 

#2 ßlush

ßlush

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Paying off student loans & over-priced coffee.

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

It's called a diaeresis! (Yeah, I had to look it up..)

I much prefer the look and overall 'vibe' of Zoë; I agree, it looks more finished. However, like you said, we don't use that particularly mark very often.

You would more than likely always have to correct people on the spelling, making sure they include the diaeresis, because no one would ever think to.

If you're okay with doing that, then I say use that form of the name if you like it so much. 

(It wouldn't be unprecedented: Lenny Kravitz and Lisa Bonet  used this form for their daughter.)

#3 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for finding out what it's called haha  ;) And yeah, I think if I ever use it I'll keep the diaeresis over the e. And I didn't know that this was the name of a celebrity daughter, so that at least makes this form recognizable while still (thankfully) not overly common.

• ßlush likes this

#4 MeganMoxie

MeganMoxie

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Education (I'm a teacher). Being online, reading and tv. I love to shop, but I can't afford it anymore lol.

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

They're called umlauts. (I had to write a lot of German in one of my film courses). I think Zoë is lovely, and there is nothing wrong with it if that is what you like. Zoë Saldana's name has the umlat over the e.

#5 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:31 AM

I'm not sure what to call it now haha. But yeah, I'm definitely opting for Zoë.

#6 HaydensMama18

HaydensMama18

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,253 posts
  • Interests:My son, baby naming, singing, dancing, helping others

Obsessed with WWE & TNA

Favorite viners & youtubers: The Gabbie Show, Liza Koshy & Joe Santagato & Shane

My favorite actors are Grace Phipps & Garrett Clayton

Current favorite songs: Anything by Little Mix, Ariana Grande-Boyfriend Material & Anything by Bruno Mars

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

Zoë does look more finished and it also looks prettier!

#7 MeganMoxie

MeganMoxie

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Education (I'm a teacher). Being online, reading and tv. I love to shop, but I can't afford it anymore lol.

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

I think the other word they used (I had to google it) is a more general term for accents. Umlaut is the specific term :)

#8 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

Zoë is super cute, I love accents on names in general. I'd never use them in real life just because of the hassle of correcting the spelling.. but I like it anyway. I do love Zoe in itself though, or Zoey. So cute <3 

#9 ßlush

ßlush

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Paying off student loans & over-priced coffee.

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

Yeah, when I looked it up, I read that the diaeresis mark is sometime used in names like Chloë and Zoë.

^Mm, same. I like the added touch of accent marks, so long as they're not overwhelming the name itself. I don't think the spelling could be too big of an issue. One of my friends uses an accent mark in her name (Reneé), and I don't think she minds it. :)

#10 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for the input everybody! I'm pretty confident in Zoë now. And by the way, after reading an article (here if anyone's curious: http://desktoppub.ab...criticals_2.htm) I feel like the word diaersis is more likely to be the accurate word, because umlaut seems to refer to words in a language while diaersis is considered used for names (and other things) to show a pronunciation different than expected.

#11 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

Yeah, the accents are there for a reason and all (normally to show that a name like Renee isn't just like wren, or Chloe isn't just just "clo" or something). I guess in baby names the accents aren't used as much. In America, at least. Other countries seem to use them much more. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users