4 replies to this topic

#1 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

So I've decided just to convert my list to singles, since I plan on giving my children honoring middle names. I'd love to know what you guys think, and I'll put my thoughts on the name after each one.

Annaliese - This one has stuck with me a while now, and I really love it. My only thing is that I'm usually all about nicknames but I really don't like Annie or anything like that.

Claire/Clara - I just can't decide which of these I like better, and I waver between the two. I've had Claire on my list forever.

Maeve - I'm starting to wonder if I don't like this name anymore. I'm really not sure.

Zoë - This is fairly new to my list, and I'm in love with this spelling, even though the diaeresis (two dots) are not used in conventional English.

Evangeline - This one has been on and off my list for a long time. I love the nickname Eva or even Evie, but I'm wondering if this one is a bit too much.

Cassia - This one has been on my list for a while but never very close to the top, but it's growing on me even more lately.

Maya - Somewhat a newcomer to my list, but I really like it.

Elise - This is one I've never really had on my list, but I've liked it for a long time.

Vivienne - I've loved this name for several years, debated spellings, and decided on this one. I abandoned it for a while, but I'm starting to fall in love with it again.

[[I've had a lot of trouble with boy names lately, which is unusual for me. I have a ton of 'maybes'.]]

William "Will" - I've had this on my list for a while, and I love Will, but I don't think I'll keep it on my list much longer because William as a whole just isn't my cup of tea.

Peter - I've had Peter Jack "PJ" on my list for a long time as well, Jack honoring an important grandfather that I never met, but I don't really know where my head's at with this one right now.

Matthias - I've always had a fondness for this name, but I'm starting to like it more. The only thing that bothers me now is that I know several Matthews called Matt, though if I had a Matthias I would call him by his full name.

Henry - Wavering on this one because it's becoming pretty common recently, but I do like it a lot.

Elliot - This is a fairly new one to my list that I've liked for a while, as I tend to like Ell/Eli names.

Other names I'm considering for boys - Thomas, Eben, Reid, Theodore "Theo", Hayden. Caspar "Cas" was on my list for a while but I don't know anymore.

Thanks for any opinions/suggestions you have!  ^_^ 

#2 HxppySxng

HxppySxng

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts
  • Interests:Planners, piercings, Witchcraft, Netflix, & baking.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

Annaliese - I love this name as it has like a personal connection to my childhood. But the spelling is gorgeous and slightly princessy without being too glitzy. I agree with the disliking Annie/Anna nicknames. Maybe Liesie (Lee-see)?

Claire/Clara - I love Claire, I plan on using it for a mn for a future daughter. Clara seems more old lady-ish in my opinion.

Maeve - I'm not a huge fan of Maeve. It's alright though. 

Zoë - I like a lot of variations of Zoe/Zoey but this one is my favourite. The diaeresis are gorgeous and give the name a bit of character, I think.

Evangeline - It's a beautiful name, but definitely needs a nickname. I like Evie, have you considered Angie?

Cassia - I read a book where the protagonist's name was Cassia but I wasn't sure on the pr., is it Cash-uh or Cass-see-uh? I think it's a beautiful name. 

Maya - I think of Mayan Indians when I hear Maya, it's not really my style. 

Elise - It's a fair name, but I think I'm more of a fan of Elisa, maybe Elsa. Elise sounds somewhat vintage I guess. 

Vivienne - Vivienne is a wonderful name. I like Vivian a bit more, unless you like the -en pronunciation. I say Viv-ee-anne so I prefer Vivian. If you pronounce it Viv-ee-en, your spelling is better.

William "Will" - I'm not a fan of William either. Will is a great nn but the full William isn't my style.

Peter - I like Peter, it's a nice name. I love the nn PJ, period. 

Matthias - It's definitely not a name your son would hear very often. I prefer Matthew to Matthias. I'm just not into the Roman(?) type names.

Henry - Henry is too traditional for my taste.

Elliot - I love Elliot. I love your spelling for it. 

Thomas, Eben, Reid, Theodore, Hayden, Caspar - I'm not a fan of Thomas, Eben, or Theodore. Reid, Hayden, and Caspar are lovely. Caspar is probably my favourite on your list. It's not too popular but not made-up, either. 

#3 Marvelous_Things

Marvelous_Things

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,663 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, psychology, history, literature, anime, cosplay, and names.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

Annaliese - I love this one! If you don't like Annie-type names, you could go for Lia, Lisa, etc.

Claire/Clara - I like Claire better, but both of them are nice names. 

Maeve - Very nice. 

Zoë - I've never been crazy about this name, but it's not bad. 

Evangeline - I really like this one.I agree that this is a bit much, but if you're planning on using a nickname anyway, I see nothing wrong with it. 

Cassia - Very pretty! I tend to like Latin names, and this one seems more accessible than most. Also, Cassie is a cute nickname!

Maya - Nice.

Elise - I prefer Elizabeth, but this one is okay.

Vivienne - I've never been crazy about this one. It's just meh, IMO.

[[I've had a lot of trouble with boy names lately, which is unusual for me. I have a ton of 'maybes'.]]

William "Will" - I LOVE this name. Will is a nice nickname. I also like the nn Liam. 

Peter - Nice classic name. Peter Jack is a good combo.

Matthias - I LOVE this name too, and I totally love using the full name instead of the nn Matt.

Henry - It's okay, but you're right about it becoming increasingly common recently. 

Elliot - It's okay. 

I like Thomas and Hayden from your maybe list. Thomas has long been one of my favorites, and I've had a fondness for Hayden since before the whole    -ayden/ -aiden name craze started. 

#4 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,160 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

I replied to this and accidentally pressed back.
I'll do it again ASAP.
(Some awesome names on your list btw!)

#5 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

Annaliese - Love this, it's absolutely beautiful. In addition to the nns others have suggested, Aliese or Ali could be possibilities.

Claire/Clara - I prefer Clara, but neither really excites me. I don't dislike them, they're just sort of bland to me.

Maeve - This one has been growing on me lately! I prefer it as a middle though.

Zoë - This is I think the only name where basically every spelling is great to me. Zoey is my preferred, but this, Zoe, Zoie, Zooey, they all look fine to me. I do really like the look of the diaeresis, but I personally don't think it's a great idea to borrow characters from a language you don't yourself speak/use (though English does have a history of using it...).

Evangeline - I like this name in theory but I don't think I'd ever use it. I like how it looks and sounds but it's very "holy" sounding and that isn't a plus for me. I do love the nn Evie though. Maybe try Evelyn, Ever, or Evanna?

Cassia - I adore this name. I love all Cass- names and this one is by far my favorite! Short, sweet, different but not made up. Wonderful.

Maya - Not my favorite, but nice.

Elise - I prefer this as a middle personally, but I think it's nice as a first as well! Simple and elegant.

Vivienne - Definitely prefer this spelling to Vivian. Vi, Vivi, Viva, Via, even Vinnie are all cute nns!

William "Will" - I think William is so boring, even as a middle. I like plenty of classics, but this one just isn't my thing. Wilson or Wilcox are fresher alternatives if you still like the nn Wil(l). And of course Willem, Wilhelm, Willard, but I wouldn't really recommend any of those personally.

Peter - I've never really liked Peter. Philip is a classic as well and could give the name PJ, if that's what you're after.

Matthias - I love this one. I personally like Mathias because I think it looks cleaner, but it's great either way.

Henry - I like Henry, even gravitate toward it in the naming games, but I don't think I'd ever use it. It's a kind of odd mixture of cutesy and stuffy and overused that I can't quite get over?

Elliot - My absolute favorite. I also love all the other El- names. Ellis, Elias, Elian, (Elia, Ellery, Elsa/Elsie for girls (also just Elliot)). Not really a fan of Elijah or the nn Eli though, not sure why.

Other names I'm considering for boys - Love Theodore, though I personally prefer the nn Teddy. Like Reid and Hayden. Eben reminds me of the movie Forty Days of Night because that's the only place I've ever heard it and I spent the entire movie going "What? Is he saying Evan?" But I think I kinda like it? Don't like Thomas. I think Caspar is really cool and would respect the hell out of someone who named their kid that, but I don't think I could ever pull it off. I really like the nn Cas too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users