Duggar update

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_~*Jacey*~_*

Guest_~*Jacey*~_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:12 PM

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Michelle Duggar - matriarch of the Duggar family from TLC's "18 Kids and Counting" - was hospitalized in Arkansas over the weekend, according to People.

The 42-year-old reality mom - who is pregnant with her 19th child - was reportedly rushed to the E.R. due to a gallbladder problem.

"This weekend, Michelle Duggar was admitted to an Arkansas hospital due to gallbladder issues," a rep for TLC told People. "The pain from a gallstone was generating some contractions. Just to be safe, she was airlifted a Little Rock, Ark., hospital, so that in the unlikely event that she had to be delivered early, she would be close to a NICU center."

Although Michelle remains hospitalized, the network spokesperson said both mom and baby are doing fine.

"Though there were some fears that the baby was in trouble initially, it soon was discovered to be solely the gallstone causing the discomfort. Michelle is resting comfortably, and the baby is doing fine," the rep added. "Doctors want to observe Michelle in the hospital for the next couple of days... but it would appear that the pain medication they have given her for the gallstone has worked, and there is no need for immediate surgery. The hope is that any necessary surgery can be delayed until after she delivers."

http://omg.yahoo.com...kansas/32292?nc

#2 JustJenn

JustJenn

Legendary Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

I saw this online last night as well!

I hope she gets better and doesn't have to deliver the baby early.

#3 Fez

Fez

Epic Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

Duggar baby nš 19 has arrived...

Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar welcomed daughter Josie Brooklyn, weighing 1 lb., 6 oz., at 6:27 p.m. Thursday, at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Arkansas.

Michelle, who has been in the hospital recovering from a gallstone, was taken to the OR for an emergency C-section. She is resting comfortably and the baby is stable and in the NICU for extended care

Source: people.com

I hope the baby is ok. It's going to be difficult for a micro-preemie.

#4 MBP

MBP

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:15 AM

Wow...I'll keep the Duggar family in my prayers. How early was the baby?

#5 Fez

Fez

Epic Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

According to the Duggar Family Site, she was due around March 18; so that puts her at about 26 or 27 weeks.

#6 Guest_~*Jacey*~_*

Guest_~*Jacey*~_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:56 PM

Oh wow!
So much for her tv debute. Though I'm sure she'll be VERY well taken care of.
I love the name :P

#7 katie.

katie.

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,257 posts
  • Interests:Reading, watching movies, swimming

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:21 PM

Oops read it wrong. She was born about 13 weeks early. Good luck to her and the family.

#8 JustJenn

JustJenn

Legendary Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:57 PM

Wow, I was born at 26 or 27 weeks!

I hope she pulls through!

Such a beautiful name!

#9 Fez

Fez

Epic Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:12 AM

People magazine is reporting that Josie was born early due to pregnancy complications. Michelle had preeclampsia and the doctors decided an emergency c-section was necessary.

#10 JustJenn

JustJenn

Legendary Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:31 AM

People magazine is reporting that Josie was born early due to pregnancy complications. Michelle had preeclampsia and the doctors decided an emergency c-section was necessary.

That is the reason as well, that my mother gave birth to me so early!

She had preeclampsia and toxemia together, which made it much worse!

This is usually the reason for premature births!

#11 Guest_Zayda_*

Guest_Zayda_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:06 AM

Oh my goodness! What a tiny baby!

#12 Guest_erowyn_*

Guest_erowyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:50 PM

theres no way she was 19 wks early. a baby isnt even considered viable until 24 wks which is 16 wks early and at 24 wks the odds are still very very bad... i cant imagine them saying she was stable if she was 19 wks early.

#13 kwatts

kwatts

Superstar Baby Namer

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Interests:being a mom, computers, helping people, our family blog (http://wearethewattsfamily.blogspot.com)

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:56 AM

The baby was born at 25 weeks gestation. You know, I don't have as big of an issue with the Duggars as I do with some other reality families. But my biggest issue is that they're exploiting the size of their family to get attention and make money. I don't think that sets a good example. For one thing, raising 18 (now 19) kids isn't just going on field trips and making paid appearances. It's a ridiculous amount of work.

Shows like this breed people like the Octo-mom. They are influenced by how easy these people make it seem and how cute their families are. But if I had a real "reality show" about my family, I guarantee it would be all fluffiness and joy because things just aren't like that.

Also, I don't want my kids to be exposed to all the media backlash a reality show puts on you. I don't watch any of these shows because I refuse to support stuff like this. I think it's a huge explotation of kids and not realistic at all.

Don't even get me started on Jon and Kate!

Wow, rant over...

#14 Fez

Fez

Epic Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:35 AM

Kehli, I completely agree with you when it comes to children being exposed on tv for money, but I don't think the Duggars are on the same level as the Gosselins or the Octo-mum.

For once, I the Duggars would continue to have kids whether they were on reality tv or not. They had 14 children before going on tv. I think their philosphy of life is very much tied to their religious beliefs, so I don't think they do it for the money. I believe one of the reasons they accepted to be on tv is to show the others their family dynamics and to share their philosophy of life; of course the money is a huge perk, but it's not the primary reason why they do it.

I do have my reservations regarding the amount of time each child really gets to spend with their parents. I've only seen a few episodes now and then, but it seems all the children are loved and well-cared for, and their parents know what is going on in each kid's life.

The Gosselins (especially Kate) and the Octo-mum are a comletely different story. It's more than obvious that they do it for the money and that their children's interests and well-being are at the bottom of the list.

It goes without saying that I completely understand and respect your views on the topic :P

#15 kwatts

kwatts

Superstar Baby Namer

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Interests:being a mom, computers, helping people, our family blog (http://wearethewattsfamily.blogspot.com)

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

I wasnt saying their on the same level as the Gosselins and Octo-mom. What I was saying is when people see how famous the Duggars got from having a big family, it might inspire them to have kids for the wrong reasons. I certainly don't think the Duggars are on the same level as the Gosselins and Octo-mom.

With any TV show, it's all in the editing. you are seeing 1 hour each week in all the time they spend together. It may seem they're happy, but we really have no way of knowing.

Like I said, I no longer watch any of these types of reality shows. Giving people like this (regardless of how good of parents they are) airtime without truly exposing how difficult it is to raise a family this size can only encourage people that it's a lot easier to raise a large family than it is.

That's a reason I respect the show 16 & Pregnant and now Teen Mom. It shows the difficulties of being a parent, especially a young parent. It's not all cute and cuddly. It's more real.

To be fair, I have the same issues with some celebrities who flaunt their families as I have with the Duggars. All you see of these people is candids of their kids playing in the park or perfectly posed pictures. People say "If my favorite celeb can do it, I can." I have more respect for people who don't sell their child's photos or go on a reality show. Instead, they revel privately in one of the purest joys of life, children.

#16 Guest_~*Jacey*~_*

Guest_~*Jacey*~_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:58 PM

I see what you're saying Kehli, and I agree that the Duggars make big families look "too easy".

Though it's not the 1st time a big family has been in the spotlight.
The Gilbreth Family. (Bakers in new movie) with 12 kids
The Beardsley-North family. He had 10 kids, she had 8 (or the other way around?) then had 2 together.
The Dionne Family. The famous all girl Quints of the 30's and their 8 siblings. Ask any Canadian growing up in the 1930's and they will know the Dionne Quints phenomena.

#17 Anna.

Anna.

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

I saw this today and was thoroughly shocked, although, it was inevitable that something would happen eventually. Other than a miscarrage after their first child, the Duggar's have had very few major problems with their children's births and infancies. I will keep them and little Josie in my prayers and hope that she continues to be healthy and is able to come home as soon as possible.

As for the name, I really don't care for it. Josie sounds a little stripper-esque to me and reminds me of Josie and the Pussycats. Maybe it's just me...

As for the exploitation thing...I do think being on TV has influenced some of their choices. But who is to say they wouldn't have still had this many children if they weren't on TV? I appreciate their life-style and choice to not use birth control but I hope that after this experience with Josie, they realize it is time to stop. Michelle is 42! I know when I'm 42 having children will most definitely not be on the top of my list. If they still feel they want more kids, maybe adoption would be a better option for them. Help kids that are already here instead of bringing more into the world!

#18 Leighton Rose

Leighton Rose

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:03 PM

That's what I thought of when I heard the name Josie...a stripper or Josie and the Pussycats. I can't see how this made it onto their list but I guess after eighteen "J" names they are starting to run out. But I would have avioded Josie.

Oh well, their choice!

And about the exploitations, I don't think the Duggars are using the largeness of their family as a way to make money. I think TLC is using their family as a way to get money. If Michelle and her husband (?) want that many kids and can handle it well enough then go ahead! I just know I couldn't handle that. One thing that boggles my mind completely is that as a family rule, their family doesn't dance...
Dancing and singing is something I do all the time and something I encourage my kids to do! Is it something to do with their religion or what?

The Gosselins and Octo-mom are just sad...I feel horrible for their kids but atleast the Gosselins didn't keep having kids after their show started.

As I've told my children before, TV is most of the time a bad thing...get outside and play!

#19 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,507 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:09 PM

I don't understand why they haven't used Juliet yet! :P

There's so many J names that they could have chosen, that are better than Josie..

Josephine/Justine -though I'm not a fan.

-Jessica (though it would be too close to Jessa)
-Jacqueline
-Jeanette (Though I'm a bit ehh on this one)
-Janelle (Same as above)
-Janine (")
-Jemima/Jemma
-Jane (to close to Jana..)
-Jared/Jareth
-Jade(a)
-Jacey (Too close to Jessa)
-Jasmine
-Jazzelyn
-Jasper
-Jayden
-Jericho (Ehh..)
-Jezebel (")
-Jewel (")
-Jillian (Instead of just Jill)
-Jocelyn
-Jodie
-Joel
-Jorja (Like 'Jorja Fox'.. Though I prefer Georgia)
-Joelle
-Jude
-Julian
-Juno
-Justice (Though it would be too close to Justin)
-Jolie
-Jonah/Jonas/Jonathan (Too close to John)
-Jinny
-Jersey (")
-Jacob(y)
-Julia/Julie/Juliana.

Or even January, June and July!

I mean, Joy-Anna and Johannah are very close! There are quite a few different J names!

To be fair though, I love Joshua, Joseph, Josiah, James, Jennifer and Johannah.. not a fan of Jinger, Jill or Jordyn-Grace though..

Plus, I think Josie is WAY too close to Josiah and Joseph, who are in themselves too close in my opinion! <3

#20 Anna.

Anna.

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:47 PM

Totally agree, Yas! Jana, Joy-Anna, & Johannah are essentially the same name! As well as Joseph, Josiah, & Josie and Jedediah and Jeremiah. There are plenty of other J names without using the same sound. But I guess when they aren't right next to each other they might not notice it? Like if someone only had two kids and named them Josiah and Josie. No one would do it! Well I guess I shouldn't say no one. Oh well, not my kids!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users