• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Melissa

Melissa

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:My husband and I are very into basketball and soccer and our daughters are enjoying sports too. My oldest daughter does gymnastics, soccer, and dance and my youngest does soccer and dance, so those are my interests rights now. <br /><br />I also love kids and my job. My husband and I's jobs both involve children.

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:43 PM

This, to me, is so unbelievable, yet somewhat predictable. Miley has come out of nowheres and is ranked #278. Holy moly! Isabella is really happy, because this is her girl name choice at the moment. (she's a huge Hannah Montana fan) So, what do you think of the name Miley? And, would it be a good nn for Camilla?

Thanks!
Melissa

#2 Diana

Diana

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:LOVE - my family, friends, house, cooking, golfing, being irish, music is so fun, though never have been blessed with anything close to talent. parties, especially pool parties rock! names OF course and nicknames on my children are always enjoyable since there are so many!, having red hair, shopping, tennis, beach.<br />HATE - that my eyesight is getting worse, navigating my way through cities, thinking about ever leaving my town, when people butchered my maiden name(it was straightforward), sticky things, ridiculous prices at our movie theatres, driving(though it's inevitable that i do drive).

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:58 PM

miley is alright. miley cyrus is actually the reason its not myf avorite, but the name itself isn't too bad. i do prefer it for a nickname, and it does work for camilla it hink. i think camilla is such a beautiful name. i prefer a nn mimi or cammy/cam however.

#3 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:06 PM

I don't like Miley, it looks like someone wanted to get creative with Riley and besides it reminds me of mile(s). For these reasons, I think Camilla is too beautiful a name (nevermind the Duchess of Cornwall) to have the nickname Miley. Camilla seems so pretty, elegant and regal, whilst Miley is childish and not in a good way. This is just my opinion, though.

#4 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

Miley is cute, but it's for that reason that I just cannot see it on a grown woman. It would make an adorable nickname for a variety of names -- and I think it's cute for Camille -- but as a name on its own, I can't stand it.

#5 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:16 PM

I love Camilla with the nicknames Cami or Millie. I really don't care for Miley at all. It's partly because of the whole Miley Cyrus association, and partly because I think it sounds really weird. Like Kate mentioned, it's like someone tried to combine Miles and Riley and pinned it on a girl. Not my cup of tea.
I also think that Miley will have her pinned with a generational name. Years from now people will hear the name Miley and think, "Oh, she's one of those girls. Her parents must have been big Milry Cyrus fans back in the day."

#6 Liz

Liz

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:45 PM

I agree with Scarlet and Charity. It's going to sound very cutesy and dated in a few decades, plus it just seems soooo faddish and fickle.

#7 meg

meg

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:10 PM

I must say, i really don't like the name Miley. I don't think it has a nice sound to it. Camilla nn Milla is really cute.

#8 Jennifer

Jennifer

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:I am a widow, I have 5 children, 3 at home still. Right now they keep me too busy to have my own interests or at least to give them much time. I do love taking pictures and changing backgrounds etc on the computer. I read when I get a chance.

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:47 AM

I don't care fro Miley as a name by itself.
As a nickname it is useable. It would work for
Camilla but it isnt my style.. but I can understand
your daughter liking it. I have two young girls who
adore Hannah Montana.

#9 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:31 PM

wowee, this just goes to show us all about trends and fads and influences. miley is not my favorite either. i find it cute for a little girl but for an adult i just cannot see it. i also only know of that one miley, miley cyrus, and that impression certainly does not help me in favoring this name. for camille, the nickname wouldn't be bad, but it isn't as direct as can be, in saying its almost more of what seems to be a variation of an actual nickname for camille. cam, cammy, mimi, millie, all are cute and preferred by me at least :)

#10 3boxers

3boxers

Notable Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:I hate overly sensitive people and internet censorship

http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9608471

&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9608471&quot;&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.babynames.com/V5/images/vote.gif&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; alt=&quot;VOTE on my Name List&quot;&gt;&lt;/a&gt;

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:41 PM

This, to me, is so unbelievable, yet somewhat predictable. Miley has come out of nowheres and is ranked #278. Holy moly! Isabella is really happy, because this is her girl name choice at the moment. (she's a huge Hannah Montana fan) So, what do you think of the name Miley? And, would it be a good nn for Camilla?

Thanks!
Melissa

I like the name Miley, it's cute. Can't use it because of "Miley Cyrus" I say that name in quotes because her first name isn't actually Miley...it was a clever name change for professional reasons.

#11 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:25 AM

Actually, when she was little, her family called her Smiley (her real name is Destiny Hope...I watch too many talk shows:blush:). And I can only assume it evolved to Miley through baby talk, which is obviously the best way to come up with a name. :) And I think it's a dumb name. Cute when the kid is still doing the whole baby talk thing, but once it's over, you just look stupid.

#12 Alexis!

Alexis!

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Bones
    Mysteries
    Baking
    Photography
    Science
    Writing
    Reading

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:56 PM

I'm the biggest Miley Cyrus hater ever. Sorry to offend, but I don't think she can sing at all! I plug my eyes when shes on the radio. I think Miley is a cute nn for certain names, but I personally would NEVER use it!

#13 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:31 PM

i agree with you lexii, i thought i was the only one who thought she was a bad singer!

#14 amandagayle151

amandagayle151

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:20 AM

Actually, when she was little, her family called her Smiley (her real name is Destiny Hope...I watch too many talk shows:blush:). And I can only assume it evolved to Miley through baby talk, which is obviously the best way to come up with a name. :) And I think it's a dumb name. Cute when the kid is still doing the whole baby talk thing, but once it's over, you just look stupid.

Her given name *was* Destiny Hope Cyrus, but she did legally change it to Miley Ray Cyrus earlier this year, I believe. (http://www.usatoday....me-change_N.htm). I think you're right about Miley evolving from Smiley through baby talk, though. I also agree that though Smiley was a cute nn, it should've stayed that... a nn. Even Miley would've been an alright nn, just because of her baby talk or whatever. As a legal name, I find it laughable. (Also, the article I referenced says that Billy Ray called her 'Smiley Miley', but I've heard other places that it was just Smiley which morphed into Miley... which would make more sense because where would Miley have come from otherwise? Haha.)

#15 Alexis!

Alexis!

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,614 posts
    Mysteries
    Baking
    Photography
    Science
    Writing
    Reading

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

i agree with you lexii, i thought i was the only one who thought she was a bad singer!

HERE HERE!! I'm the only one of my friends that wants to cry when shes on the radio!!

#16 amandagayle151

amandagayle151

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:14 AM

HERE HERE!! I'm the only one of my friends that wants to cry when shes on the radio!!

Oh, I feel the exact same way ... I don't like her one bit.
Too bad my boyfriend thinks she's awesome :) . . . . hah.

#17 Melissa

Melissa

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:My husband and I are very into basketball and soccer and our daughters are enjoying sports too. My oldest daughter does gymnastics, soccer, and dance and my youngest does soccer and dance, so those are my interests rights now. <br /><br />I also love kids and my job. My husband and I's jobs both involve children.

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:05 AM

Thanks to Isabella, I can actually sing some of Miley Cyrus's songs. We saw her live a couple of months ago. I think she's a lot better live then on the radio.

#18 Alexis!

Alexis!

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,614 posts
    Mysteries
    Baking
    Photography
    Science
    Writing
    Reading

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:08 PM

My 16 year old sister [[yeah 16]] LOVES her and watches Hannah Montana EVERYDAY! I think its mainly to make me get angry when she sings the songs =/ plus my baby bro is a fan. blahhhh! i just dont like her, especially with all of those pics of her on the internet =/

#19 alyssa897

alyssa897

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:22 PM

If it wasn't for the craze, the name would sound cute on a little girl no older than ten as a nickname.

And actually Smiley was shortened to Miley.

#20 Tish+Jacob

Tish+Jacob

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:05 PM

I have a step daughter called Miley who had the name before anybody had ever even heard of Miley Cyrus. Our Miley is 14 and I think the name suits her. My cousins daughter is also named miley but she spells it mylie.

Tish :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users