• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MarinerDad

MarinerDad

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

I've noticed almost every baby name site gives the meaning of the names. I told some friends about the names that we've been bouncing around and keep getting asked what they mean. Does a name's meaning actually mean anything? I picked out the names based on how they look and sound, not how they mean. Am I alone on this? Should we take meanings into consideration, or are they more of an interesting trivia tidbit?

#2 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:33 PM

I don't think meanings mean much with names to be honest. I sometimes look up the meaning of names but it has never been the determining factor of what I like and don't like. I am like you, I pick names based on how they look and sound. Sometimes, I take note of the origin, but it really isn't a deciding factor.

I think you should just go with what you like and not what the name means.

#3 Elodies_Mummy

Elodies_Mummy

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Spending lots of time with my beautiful Daughter, Sewing, Reading, Crafting, Babynames, Cuddling my furbabies, Swimming, Cooking

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:15 AM

Personally I like to know the name has meaning and its not some made up crap with no meaning or its meaning is something crap like 'heaven spelled backwards' Ick.

However I would not choose a name just based on meaning as I may not like the name.
For example Sarah means Princess, but I don't like the name Sarah.
But Ffion means Foxglove and I love both the name and the meaning.

I also take note of origin too, I seem to be drawn to French, Welsh & English names the most.
My daughters name is French, and means Forever Wealthy
Her middle name is English and means Red.

As you can see her middle name hasn't got an amazing meaning, but we find Scarlett a beautiful name and it was picked by her daddy in honour of me.

I find that names need to have something special about them, not just 'Mia Grace' because it sounded nice. It needs some background I find.

Maybe thats just me lol.

#4 Lilah

Lilah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:20 AM

I like the thought of giving my child with a nice meaning, but it isn't really too important. I think choosing a name with a nice meaning is much better than choosing a name that is made-up or trendy. If a name that I like has a horrible meaning, however, it would probably deter me from the name. For example, the meaning of Madison is "son of the mighty warrior". This meaning has always deterred me from using this name on a girl, along with names like Mackenzie and Makenna, which also have "son of" in the meaning. I don't see how people could use these names on girls knowing what the meaning is.

#5 ~Nadezhda

~Nadezhda

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:55 PM

Personally I like to know the name has meaning and its not some made up crap with no meaning or its meaning is something crap like 'heaven spelled backwards' Ick.

However I would not choose a name just based on meaning as I may not like the name.

I completely agree :)

I love to know that a name holds meaning, but ultimately, it's not the deciding factor.

#6 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

As already said, the meaning is not my deciding factor. But, sometimes it does have influence on whether or not I'd want to use it. I think its Kennedy or Cameron or something that means "crooked nose", which bothers me.

So if a name had a meaning I greatly disliked I guess I'd put it off... but usually the meaning of the name makes me like it even more! <3 I love the name Arabella, which I've seen multiple meanings to, like "answered prayer" in Italian, "Beautiful Alter" in Latin, and "Beautiful Lion" in English. All of those meanings make me love it ten times more! A baby in general would be an answered prayer to me. I love how the meaning includes beautiful, cause I'm sure she'll be gorgeous! (not to be self exalting-- LOL!). Lion sounds strong and powerful, and I hope she has her fair share of strength and power when needed. <3

So the meaning to the name really doesn't need to be considered. Though a lot of little kids like to know the meaning of their name, it wont hurt them to find out it has a different meaning :) You should chose a name because you feel it has real beauty to it and will suit your child as he/she grows <3

~ Haddie

#7 Malligal

Malligal

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,005 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Art, Writing, Books, Movies, Music, Concerts, Travel, Maps, Road trips

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:35 PM

I find that names need to have something special about them, not just 'Mia Grace' because it sounded nice. It needs some background I find.

Definately not just you. I second everything you said. Names that have profound meanings attached to them are kind of like a bonus. You might like the name to begin with, but if it has a great meaning, it will just make you like it even more. And they have a lasting quality about them. It won't matter if names go in and out of style as long as you have a name that is meaningful to you.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users