9 replies to this topic

#1 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

Ok, so I have a project/hobby of mine that is tracing back the Family Tree and my ancestry as far as I can. I am fascinated with my roots and on my journey back through the branches of My Tree, I have come across some very interesting names! People now a days think that making up all these odd and out of place names is a new thing, but its not! At first I just thought that perhaps there had been an error when they had submitted the information, but the records confirm nearly all of the odd/strange names I found in my tree! I'll list them below for you guys to see.

But what I want to know is if you guys have any odd names in your family trees, from recently to as far back as you know. I would love to hear some names of a bygone age! That may be the only way we'll ever really see them again -_-

Mine are:

Eramantha-(Era-mantha, basically just like it looks) I personally find this very pretty!
Squire-....very wordy and silly
Zilpha- (Zill-fah) I think I could learn to like this one
Exilda- (Ex-hilda, I think) I want to like it, but I'm not sure :wacko:
Marilange- (Mary-lanj) I'm on the fence with this one
Medelise -(Medal-eese) I'm not sure on this one either
Ethana- (Ee-Thah-na) It looks like a feminine form of Ethan to me.
Fidelis- (Fe-dell-is) This one I could actually believe to be a "legit" old name
Stogner- (Stog-ner) Makes me think Russian.....
Condy- (Think Candy but with an O-) I think this one ended up as a NN turned full name
Vreni- She was from Switzerland so that could actually be a normal name there.
Kimes- (Think "Dimes" with a K) Err.... unique thats for sure. (His brother was actually named Doctor!)
Everilda- (Eva-rill-da) I actually kind of like this one
Dorcas- (Dork-us) ......That poor woman....
Ethelbert- (Ethel-bert) Yikes....
Buelah- (Like the beginning of Beautiful, Bew-Lah) I know this one is actually legit but I've never seen it other than my tree
Golie- (Goal-Lee) First thought was of Soccer....
Eulah- (Think Buelah without the B-) I want to like it....
Nola & Ovaline- Same person, FN & MN. Nola is like they put Nora & Lola together. Ovaline reminds me of that old drink mix.
Persis- Makes me think of Pertussis......
Coldric & Alford- ( Col-drik and Al-ford)Same person, FN and MN. I want to like Coldric!
Nimrod- That poor, poor man....... :unsure:
Rencenvey- I'm not exactly sure how thats pronounced.....
Hulda- This screams old lady to me.....
Palestine- (Its either Pal-is-stine or Pale-stine) I think this was actually a maiden name turned MN.
Eleazer- Not sure how to pronounce this one either.....
Eldora- Makes me think Spanish.......
Mehetable- (Mah-het-able, I think) Weird thing is, I kind of want to like it
Mahala- (Ma-Hall-ah) Its alright I guess, sound foreign
Zebb- I actually knew a teenager with this name
Ziba- (Zee-bah) Not related to Zebb actually
Orpho- This one seems like part of a name is missing
Stukely- (Stuw-ck-lee) I think this was also a maiden name turned FN

I also found old names that aren't really used any more like Meriwether, Bartholomew, Pearly, Sylvester, Otis, Minerva, Floyd, Norma, Abner and Cornelius .

Along with name combos that made me giggle- Amber Sunshine, Darlene Delite and Golden Pearl.

So, do you guys have anything to add!?

#2 Guest_Rainbow-Eyes_*

Guest_Rainbow-Eyes_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

Those are all......interesting :blink: I saw something similar to Eramantha in mine, she was named Amarantha... Others I've seen from old photos and the family Bible were Opaleen, Jarmen and Earline but thats all I can think of. :P

#3 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:34 AM

Eleazer, is "Eli-ezer".

Sadly, Nimrod is an actual name here in Israel. It's not that common, but definitely popular around the 7O's. It sounds nicer when you don't stress the "rod" part though ;)

Mm.. I'm fond of Nola. It's a twist on Nora and Nova, it's kind of sweet.

Emarantha could be sweet with the nickname Emi. But it does remind me of "Araminta" for some reason.

No idea what weird names I have in my family tree!

#4 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

Eleazer, is "Eli-ezer".

Sadly, Nimrod is an actual name here in Israel. It's not that common, but definitely popular around the 7O's. It sounds nicer when you don't stress the "rod" part though ;)

Mm.. I'm fond of Nola. It's a twist on Nora and Nova, it's kind of sweet.

Emarantha could be sweet with the nickname Emi. But it does remind me of "Araminta" for some reason.

No idea what weird names I have in my family tree!

Thank you, hmmm, Eleazer isn't to bad then, still unique though. :)

The Nimrod in my tree is from the mid 1800's!

I like Nola too, Classic like Nora but "new" enough (now a days at least) to fit like Nova

When I first saw it, I thought Eramantha was a misspelled Samantha (The writing was very curvy and hard to read) but the sure enough it was Eramantha! I actually like the NN Eri for it but Emi would be really cute too!

#5 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

Buelah- (Like the beginning of Beautiful, Bew-Lah) I know this one is actually legit but I've never seen it other than my tree

I also found old names that aren't really used any more like Meriwether, Bartholomew, Pearly, Sylvester, Otis, Minerva, Floyd, Norma, Abner and Cornelius .

I actually knew a Buelah, she was an older lady who lived next door to us growing up and she used to baby sit us. When I was little I couldn't say her name and I called her Boolah :) I believe this is a biblical name.

I know of several people with these names, Bartholomew (I know one in his 30s but goes by Bart), Otis, Floyd, Norma and Cornelius...Though most are older people, definitely not many babies being named this.

Names on my family tree:

Milda - my mom, only seen one other place, but never on another person.
Pheriby/Pherreba - Variants of same name, multiple spellings, an old family named used in several generations
General Green - First & Middle name.
Green Berry - First & middle, General Green's father :)
Paschal - A family surname used as a given name.
Lark- Not all that unheard of, but it is uncommon that it is used for a male
Ollie-Floyd - She was named after a grandfather named Floyd
Isham
Gaines
Phebe
Myrtice
Tilden
Grover Cleveland - obviously named after the president
Franklin Delano - again
Christopher Columbus
Rush
Alerson Beverley - first & middle
Eldridge
Upson
Leonidas Buford - first & middle
Demascus
Elender
Malissa
Mahala
Cassinda
Sheriff Brewster - first & middle
Sealinda - intriguing.
Jet - odd that this was used in the civil war era.
Bitterne - middle name, thankfully
Pinkney - middle again
Taswell - middle
Darling- middle, I actually think this is quite darling :D
Milus
Homer Vergil - interesting combination :)
Emeine
Myre
Ary Beatrice - born in civil war era, really like this combo :)
Junius - not sure if male or female ?
Biddie - I'd HATE to have this name.
Onie - Married an Obie :D
Jadie - middle
Armon
Awyer - Kind of like this.
Foy
Eleese
Conald - not sure on sex, assume male?
Curry
Lindle - sister to Kimble
Kimble - brother to Lindle
Twyler
Kermit Maye- first & middle
Mittice
Casper Dee - first & middle
Istaline
Elem
Paratee - unsure of sex
Asbury
Iun - NO IDEA.
Grace Prudence

#6 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

I actually knew a Buelah, she was an older lady who lived next door to us growing up and she used to baby sit us. When I was little I couldn't say her name and I called her Boolah :) I believe this is a biblical name.

I know of several people with these names, Bartholomew (I know one in his 30s but goes by Bart), Otis, Floyd, Norma and Cornelius...Though most are older people, definitely not many babies being named this.

Names on my family tree:

Milda - my mom, only seen one other place, but never on another person.
Pheriby/Pherreba - Variants of same name, multiple spellings, an old family named used in several generations
General Green - First & Middle name.
Green Berry - First & middle, General Green's father :)
Paschal - A family surname used as a given name.
Lark- Not all that unheard of, but it is uncommon that it is used for a male
Ollie-Floyd - She was named after a grandfather named Floyd
Isham
Gaines
Phebe
Myrtice
Tilden
Grover Cleveland - obviously named after the president
Franklin Delano - again
Christopher Columbus
Rush
Alerson Beverley - first & middle
Eldridge
Upson
Leonidas Buford - first & middle
Demascus
Elender
Malissa
Mahala
Cassinda
Sheriff Brewster - first & middle
Sealinda - intriguing.
Jet - odd that this was used in the civil war era.
Bitterne - middle name, thankfully
Pinkney - middle again
Taswell - middle
Darling- middle, I actually think this is quite darling :D
Milus
Homer Vergil - interesting combination :)
Emeine
Myre
Ary Beatrice - born in civil war era, really like this combo :)
Junius - not sure if male or female ?
Biddie - I'd HATE to have this name.
Onie - Married an Obie :D
Jadie - middle
Armon
Awyer - Kind of like this.
Foy
Eleese
Conald - not sure on sex, assume male?
Curry
Lindle - sister to Kimble
Kimble - brother to Lindle
Twyler
Living
Kermit Maye- first & middle
Mittice
Casper Dee - first & middle
Istaline
Elem
Paratee - unsure of sex
Asbury
Iun - NO IDEA.
Grace Prudence

I love how some are unique all together while others are just interesting combos! I have a great-great grandmother named Malissa, I assume its a variation of Melissa. Just found another one Ilo (I-L-O, Ee-lo) I even researched it a little bit and there are only a small select handful of people named Ilo. One site said that it was almost solely used in 1899-1900 before it practically disappeared. I found that very interesting! :P

#7 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

My cousin did something like that with my mom's side of the family years ago. I can't remember all of them but there was Obel (twin to Abel) and Kroeger. There's also a Marina. More recently I have a cousin who's about 10 now named Skeeter James, he's decided he likes James better.
On my dad's side of the family I had a great great aunt named Cuba and I now one of her brother's had an off the wall name but I can't remember it anymore.

#8 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

So I was talking about family names with my grandmother this weekend. We have a lot of information about my grandfather's family pretty much all the way back to the first member to come to america, but I don't have a lot of information from my grandmother's side of the family.

And I was pretty excited to find out that my grandmother's grandmother was named Ophelia! My sisters pretty much turned up their noses but they aren't name affectionados like I am :)

#9 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

So I was talking about family names with my grandmother this weekend. We have a lot of information about my grandfather's family pretty much all the way back to the first member to come to america, but I don't have a lot of information from my grandmother's side of the family.

And I was pretty excited to find out that my grandmother's grandmother was named Ophelia! My sisters pretty much turned up their noses but they aren't name affectionados like I am :)

I love the name Ophelia! :wub: Running with the "Shakespearean" theme, I had a great-great grand uncle and aunt (they were twins) who were named Claudius and Gertrude! (After Hamlets mother and uncle) I love Shakespeare's works so when I saw this I figured it must have been genetic since it was well known that their mother (my great great grandmother) made it clear that's where she got their names :P their younger brothers name (my great grandfather) was Horatio! I thought it was really cool :)

#10 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,889 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

I'm jealous!! I wish I had an Ophelia in my family to try and rationalize the name to Mike :rolleyes: I do love the name, but I can only imagine what Mikes response would be if I told him I wanted a girl named Ophelia haha. Probably the same response he had to Olive in it being an old ladies name. :L

I'm not very familiar with my family tree though, my family doesn't talk much of them. I do know one of my grandfathers brothers is named Cosmos. Apparently its an authentic Italian name, common there in his time. I thought it was interesting. My dad also randomly mentioned my having a great aunt Orah. I thought that was pretty<3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ancestry, inspiration, names, weird

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users