• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Hey girls, might finally be getting past the bump in my road of girls names... Lol. I found four I'm interested in:

Avery
Briar
Lucy
Ruby

I was watching that Dog With A Blog show on Disney (haha so silly...) and a girl was named Avery. Seeing it on someone made the name more likeable.

Briar popped up when browsing previous name lists.. I'm really liking! It sounds pleasent when said out loud and its pretty.. I love nature names as well. I'm leaning towards just Briar, but Briar Rose is also in the thoughts.. Especially as mikes grandmother loves Rose.

Lucy is just cutesy to me, haha.

And Ruby rhymes with my surname in a way, so i figured it could honor me. Either way I like <3

Avery and Briar are my tops but the other two are so lovely as well... Could I have opinions? And maybe some middle name suggestions, pretty please? :wub:

xoxo

#2 Guest_Alyse_*

Guest_Alyse_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

I LOVE LOE LOVE Avery! Since it is on 'Dog with a Blog' it might be more ppopular(not that it already isn't) but if you don't care go for it! I like the combo Avery Rose.

Briar is BEAUTIFUL! I would steer clear of Briar Rose though, just b/c that is the name of a Disney Princess(sleeping beauty, I think) but otherwise it is awesome! May I suggest Briar Lily, Briar Grace, Briar Noelle, or Briar Elise.
HTH! GL!:)

#3 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

Not a fan of Avery on girls, never have been a fan of the whole "girls with the names Avery, Dylan, Spencer, etc" trend. But it's no where near close to the worst name I've ever heard haha :P

I love Briar as a GP for me, very edgy and tough but sweet.

I ADORE Lucy, especially for a nickname for Lucille

Ruby is nice, an elegant and vintage gemstone name.

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

Thanks girlies! :) Yeah its definitely pretty popular, as is Ava. So she'd definitely have a few classmates with similar names. It bothers me slightly, though I don't let popularity ruin names I love <3 Haha I thought the sleeping beauty association was a cute one lol. Both the book and the disney movie are fabulous.. and she'd be my little princess ;) haha! Briar Lily and Briar Elise are beautiful though, thanks!!

Oh I'm definitely not into girls with the names Dylan, Spencer, etc. Those are strictly BOY to me, And though I can picture Avery on a boy, I really picture it on a girl now adays, especially with how popular it is on girls <3 Not that that makes it right, but you know ;) I think its how Ava and Avery are so close that makes Avery feel somewhat feminine.
Briar is definitely edgy, hehe ;) But I don't feel its out there which I like! Has familiar sounds to it and such. I somewhat like Lucille, but plain Lucy has really been sticking out to me. And I 100% agree on Ruby <3

Thanks Alyse and Lauren!!

#5 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

I love Avery so much, on girls AND boys tbh. It doesn't seem super masculine to me at all, which is a criticism some people have. The "ay" sound and the fact that it ends in a "y" make it much more feminine sounding to me. Honestly, I'm not concerned with making sure my kid has a "masculine" or "feminine" name, but I know some people are, so if that was a concern of yours, I don't think it should stop you from using it. :) Avery Genevieve, Avery Sophia, Avery Cadence, Avery Catherine, Avery Noelle, Avery Madeleine, Avery Georgia, Avery Quinn, Avery Juliet, Avery Fiona, Avery Claire.

I don't dislike Briar, but it's not my favorite. Just as far as appearance goes, it looks like someone was trying to write Brian and got cut off before they could finish the "n." The two "r"s close together kind of run into each other and muddle the name as well. I prefer Blair or Briony, which I think have similar feels, but I'm not in love with either of those either. Briar Elise, Briar Victoria, Briar Juliet, Briar Louise, Briar Penelope.

Lucy is cute! It doesn't seem like a full name to me, but that's not a huge problem. Lucy Corinne, Lucy Madeleine, Lucy Annabel, Lucy Theodora, Lucy Violet.

Ruby is a nice name, but not really my style. I can't figure out whether it sounds old or cutesy and that contributes to my frustration, haha. Ruby Eleanor, Ruby Nicole, Ruby Annalise, Ruby Francesca, Ruby Lorelai.

#6 Guest_Alyse_*

Guest_Alyse_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

If you like Briar Rose tbh I personally love it.

#7 Lrprevost

Lrprevost

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

I like Avery the best. It reminds me of Ainsley which I also love for a girl. I think Ruby is kind of cool too! Avery Ellen, Avery Noelle, Avery Anne, Avery Lucille, Avery Elise. The possibilities are endless! Good luck!

#8 Mishada

Mishada

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, I guess.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Avery - I think of labels or of Avery on 30 Rock. Don't particularly find it appealing for either gender, not sure why.

Briar - I like it more than Avery, not actually sure which gender I prefer it on, though it is definitely safer on a girl. I have an association from a male and female character. What about Daphne Briar? Too floral? Imogen Briar? Cosima Briar? Briar Lucille? Briar Leonie? Briar Diana? Briar Juliet? I think Briar Rose is a bit too princess with Sleeping Beauty.

Lucy - I love Lucy! I especially like Lucia nn Lucy. Lucia Eleanor? Lucia Marilyn? Lucia Felicity? Lucia Beatrix? Lucy Victoria? Lucy Adele?

Ruby - I like Ruby, though I like some other color/gem names better. I definitely prefer Lucy for a short, spunky name. Ruby Emilia? Ruby Victoria? Ruby Coralie?

#9 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

Thanks ladies!! Avery does have a bit more feminine sounds to it than masculine in a way definitely. Though the "ay" sound is just really popular right now (Aiden, Ava, Cadence, Jason, etc all has that AY). The ending in Y does feel girly to me though. Avery Sophia, Avery Cadence, Avery Catherine, Avery Madeleine, Avery Juliet, and Avery Fiona are all lovely! I had Ainsley on my list for a little while, it looks gorgeous but just doesn't flow off my tongue very well. I'm not sure what 30 Rock is, sorry Heather! If its a show than thats probably why, I'm not very familiar with the majority of modern entertainment hahaha. Oh, Avery Lucille is also very pretty! (and the endless possibilities stump me quite a bit! ;) ).

I just asked Mike about these names last night, and though he loves all but Lucy, Briar was actually his favorite! Which puts it much higher on my list :) I can see what your saying about Briar looking like Brian with the N half missing, it really does if I think about it. That bothers me too tbh! The R's clash real bad.. I just like the princess association. Mike likes Blair, but I've heard about those blair witch trial things and the association managed to get real stuck in my head </3 Briar Elise, Briar Victoria, Briar Juliet, and Briar Penelope are all lovely. Now that its been brought up, I somewhat can see Briar on a boy. "Bry" is more traditionally known as a boys name. Though in a way it makes me think of "Rye" my bff, could be an off way of incorporating her name into a girls name <3 Daphne makes me think of Scooby Do lol, I watched that A LOT when I was small. But Daphne Briar does have good flow.. Imogen Briar and Briar Lucille are both beautiful <3 You think its too princessy though? Any worse than naming your kid Aurora, Jasmine, etc do you think?

Lucy is really nick name-ish. And I dislike eee ending names because Mikes surname ends in eee so they clash. But eh... I like Lucy Madeleine, Lucy Annabel, Lucy Theodora, and Lucy Violet. Lucia is a lovely fuller version I never thought of! I really like it actually! Is it pronounced Lou-see-ah or lou-sha though? I like both tbh. Lucia Eleanor is lovely, Lucia Marilyn would honor a lot of family. Lucy Victoria is also beautiful.

And Ruby.. I agree! I can't decide if its cutesy or old.. though in my mind, I love old names! Idk, I have a sweet spot for grandmother names haha. Elsa, Harriet, Agnes, etc. Haha, yupp. So Ruby would fit right in. and again, it honors my surname. Ruby Eleanor is lovely. I bet Mike would like Ruby Nicole. Riby Annaliese is gorgeous! I have Jade on my list as well to honor Mikes grandmother, so maybe that'd be too much a theme? Ruby Emilia is so pretty! As is Ruby Victoria <33

And I adore that Theodora was suggested as a middle name.. cause I've just fallen in love :wub: thanks so much ladies, you've helped SO much!!!

#10 Sami Marie

Sami Marie

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Names
    Movies
    Music
    Family

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Avery I've always like Avery (off and on) but I've come to prefer it for a boy. My combo is Avery Daniel so for a girl combo I'd suggest Avery Danielle.

Briar I knew a girl named Briar in middle school. Briar Rose would be a lovely combo.

Lucy I liked Lucy for a long time, and finally decided that it just didnt work with my future surname. But i love Lucy and Lucille as middle names for some of my favorites.

Ruby I knew a little girl named this. I prefer it as a middle name but its definitely cute nonetheless.

#11 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Avery - I really like this name. It's sweet but not too "cutesy".

Briar - I've never been fond of this name... it just doesn't sound like a real name to me. And Briar Rose makes me think Disney.

Lucy - I think it's cute... perhaps a a bit too cutesy... but you could always use Lucinda, Lucine, or Lucille with the nickname Lucy.

Ruby - Very cute and pretty as well. I like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users