• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Tressie06

Tressie06

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:50 PM

that is all IMO. relax. breathe. and don't get so offended.

#22 Elle W

Elle W

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Art History, Astrology, Baby Names!, Board Games, Books, CAD, Cheerleading, Cooking, Etymology, Extreme Sports, Family, Fashion, Friends, Linguistics, Marketing, Native Americans, Philosophy, Psychology, SEO, Web Development & Design, Writing

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:31 AM

Ashley and Courtney are not boys names.

Actually, they are... Ashley is an Old English surname and given name meaning "ash meadow" and Courtney is an English cognate of the French surname Courtenay, referring to the Courtenay regions of France. These names have etymologies dating back to at least the 11th century (1000 years old!)

Their usage for girls, on the other hand, has only come into use in the past 30 years or fewer. And I am not one to believe that a few years of trendy usage can magically unravel what our ancestors took centuries to achieve (which is why my website will offer past and current gender usage in its database).

As far as the US goes, these two names have fallen out of style for boys but were insanely popular during the 70s and 80s, so you will probably meet quite a few 20 and 30 year old male Ashley and Courtneys. It also means, like all naming trends, that a resurgence is due any day now :D

Anyway...

I, too, have a name list of names I dislike. I find them, keep them for future reference. The biggest bad name culprit I've stumbled upon was a woman with the last name Waters, who insisted on naming her child Aquafina Dasani-Evian.

I could not make these things up if I tried.

My biggest baby naming peeve is "Native American" names. For lots of reasons - people don't know how to correctly use them, it's offensive, the names that are listed aren't really Native American names, ack I could go on forever...

#23 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:39 AM

Ashley was definitely a boy's name first (my name). Even though in more recent times, it has become more popular as a girl's name, it originally started as a boy's name and even in the 1930's, 1940's, 1950's it was rarely seen on girls. I don't mind it as a boy's name really, but only that spelling. I think spellings like Ashleigh (my spelling) and Ashlee are definitely more for girl's. One of my best friend's brothers is called Ashley and I know of a few professional Australian male swimmers who have the name Ashley also.

Courtney too, I know is a boy's name, but I think I still prefer it for a girl.

I don't think any name exists that people SHOULDN'T use. Truthfully, it comes down to what the parents prefer and I guess if someone else doesn't agree with it, it doesn't mean it is wrong. There are definitely names I would never use like Augustus or Cornelius even though I really like those names. I just would never use them. But I think any name someone chooses is acceptable in one way or another.

#24 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:53 PM

DOn't get me wrong, there are names that I like that I'm sure others think are absolutely crazy. For instance:
Willow

Hattie or Haddie

Lorelei Raine

Madeline (the way it is)

Lilah

I like boys names for girls, as long as the have a feminine middle name (Taylor, Andi, Riley etc)

Kaya (IA for 'elder sister') if i have a girl first, that will probably be her name

Not a single one of those are crazy, lol! Not in one way :D Haha, people call me Haddie all the time and no one has told me it's crazy :P

But I think the only thing about this topic is we shouldn't focus on the names we dislike, or stuff like that. But talk about the ones you like! Sounds kinda like a "goody-goody" girl sort of thing to say, but it's true! I hate seeing unnecessary drama on the boards...

For the most part, all names are good! It's when people turn words into names or make up their own names that some things start a bit of trouble... like when a parent says "I'm going to name my daughter Boobahlyn cause I think it's so unique, and I know she wants to be unique!". That looks moreso like an uneducated parent who wants attention and thinks her child will be how she wants, when in all reality "Boobahlyn" just might be shy and want to fit in :P

~ Haddie

#25 eirin799

eirin799

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:35 PM

roquelle, or any variant thereof.
keisha? wanda, latisha, donna... i don't know, the ones that sound... agressively feminine, not delicately so. forceful and obnoxious.
and i can't say i dislike made-up names, because i adore fantasy names. i suppose forcefulness is another thing, though. i mean, i even like some "unpleasant" germanic names, such as brunhildr or helga, though they couldn't be found near the tops of my lists.

#26 Christina=)

Christina=)

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Swimming<br />Working<br />Being with my husband <br />Church<br />GOD

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

I do happen to like some of the names you have listed. But I don't like some of them as well. I personally am up for changing y's, i's, eigh's, etc. Especially if it ends in an -ee sound. Most names just look prettier to me that way. But you do have a slight point. But I don't think you anyone should be critisized for their name choices.

#27 Rylee's Mommy

Rylee's Mommy

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

i am a little bit torn on the subject
obviously i don't mind spelling names differently, but i can understand how other people wouldn't like it.
it's also obvious that i don't mind boys names for girls (not all boys names, but i have several that i wouldn't mind on girls)
in my opinion, there is a difference between spelling a name differently and just spelling it "weird" (for lack of better terms), as long as you can still understand what the name is supposed to be, then i don't consider it odd at all, but i understand that everybody has there own feelings about it and just because it maybe "weird" to one person doesn't mean it is to them.

i chose my daughter's name (rylee) because i liked it, not so she would be unique or different, as a matter of fact i know or know of several girls named Riley/Ryleigh/Rileigh etc.
i will admit to choosing the spelling of my daughter's name for a certain reason though. Her middle name is also considered to be a "unisex" name "Dakota" and i figured it would be less confusing if i chose a spelling that seemed a little more feminine in nature. i have had some people that still think she is a he but for the most part everyone has been very complementary of it and like it alot.

sorry, i'm not very good at explaining my feelings about things but oh well :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users