• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kenziix3

Kenziix3

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:09 AM

my mom's friend recently had a baby, and they named her Genevieve. They call her Genna, pronounced 'Jenna'. I think that if they were going to call her Genna anyway, why not just name her Jenna? Now people will constantly misspronounce 'Genna', like saying it 'GEE-NAH' or 'GEH-NAH', in my opinion. What do you think?

:)

#2 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:14 PM

i actually disagree. i immediatly thought of the pronunciation geh-nah when i saw it. if it has said geena or gina, i would have undoubtedly thought it meant the gee-nah pronunciation.
a lot of times, i like a kid being able to have a name and use a nickname, so they can still have a cute nickname growing up but can use a more professional nickname on a business card, etc. but it hink that jenna is a great name anyways and ages fine, so i see your point.

#3 Haylelujah

Haylelujah

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:21 AM

I wouldn't assume Genna was GEE-na, most will see it and assume it's Jenna but spelt with a G. I love the name Genevieve, it's beautiful.

#4 Jellybean

Jellybean

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:-Watching movies<br />-Reading (specially poetry)<br />-Writing<br />-Playing with my daughter<br />-Travelling<br />-Learning different languages

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:51 PM

Genevieve is beautiful.In my opinion,they're right to name her Genevieve instead of Genna,because Genna is very intimate,so no strangers are gonna call her Genna.And also,having a nickname makes you fell "loved".I don't know how to explain this.It makes you think that certain people (that call you by your nn) care more about you.

#5 Antelope

Antelope

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:36 PM

I like Genevieve but it will take a while for a girl to learn to spell her name... Genna is an alright nickname but I think she already has a beautiful name you don't need a nickname unless she wants one. My name is Andrew but I despise Andy and dislike Drew.

#6 lucy

lucy

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:I have 5 kids: Samara (Sammi), Kimberley (Kimmy), Lauren (Lolly), Bianca (Bee) and Jessamine (Jem)

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:39 AM

Genevieve is gorgeous. I also like Genna as a nickname, but hate it as a given name. Genna sounds kind of informal to me, so it's nice she has Genevieve to fall back on. Also, if Genevieve decides she doesn't like Genna, there are plenty of other nickname she can get from her name.

As for the pronunciation of Genna, I would assume that it rhymes with Gemma.

Jellybean: I totally see your point about nicknames making you feel loved, or in a way at least. My youngest daughter's full name is Bianca, her official nickname being Bee (which most people use - grandparents, aunties and uncles and our friends) but then we (my husband and I) call her anything from Honey to Bumble to Buzz to Rosa, and our other 3 daughters call her BeeBee. Anyone outside our immediate family don't know Bianca well enough to call her by anything other than Bee or Bianca, depending on how well we know them (I'm sure once she starts school another name will be added). Strangers only ever get Bianca. So, I don't know about nicknames making a child feel loved, but it does sort of measure the closeness to people. There are considerably less people that call her Bianca than Bee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users