• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 K.C.

K.C.

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, camping, bicycling, tae kwon do, reading, spending time with my family

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:04 PM

I LOVE Harry Potter and I like the name Hermione quite a lot. It has a nice flow, is unique, and of course, is associated with HP. However, would it be a little mean to name a child that if she would always be associated with HP? Would people groan if they saw that as a child's name? Do you know anyone named Hermione?

#2 Dominique

Dominique

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:34 PM

I think that while it is a nice unique name because of the time and the insane popularity of HP she would most definatly be associated and possibly teased because of the name. Now with that said, who's to say that kids in her grade will really know HP that well since all the books are done and the last movie is just going to come out. So really its up to you. For me though I wouldn't because it's a little like naming your kid after a celebrity (because of the popularity even though its fiction) with a unique name ie: Madonna or Cher.

#3 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:57 AM

I can really only see it as Hermione Granger, insufferable know it all. Haha, I'm sorry. I love the name too, but since it's so rare and the books are so insanely popular, that's the only association people are ever going to have with her name. Just like if you named you daughter Madonna, like Dominique said.

#4 Fez

Fez

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:59 AM

There used to be a pre-Harry-Potter-era in which some people associated the name with Shakespeare's "Winter's Tale", even fewer people associated it with Greek Mythology, and almost no one knew how to pronounce it. But that era is over. As LeAnne said, Harry Potter is insanely popular right now, and I think it will continue to be for quite a while (there are three more movies coming out, a theme park currently in development, a Philosopher's Stone Anniversary Edition coming out in the USA...)
I love the idea of using literary names, but Hermione has strong HP connotations, and although those who have read the books know that by the end she is not an "insufferable know it all" the connotation will still be there.

I sometimes wish Rowling didn't have such an amazing taste in names...

#5 Liz

Liz

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

I had never even heard of Hermione before Harry Potter, and I've never met a person named Hermione.

I've never read Harry Potter, yet I know the name is from there. I think it's pretty much solely associated with the books. If you name a child Hermione, expect to get a ton of comments about how you must be HP fans.

I really don't see the appeal in Hermione anyway. Hermie?

#6 rhaego

rhaego

Epic Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:16 AM

I love the idea of using literary names, but Hermione has strong HP connotations, and although those who have read the books know that by the end she is not an "insufferable know it all" the connotation will still be there.

Haha, aw. I don't actually think of her that way, I was just adding that tidbit in there 'cause I'm a nerd. :) In fact, I love her quite a bit. But no more than the Weasley men! Ah man. Or Sirius or Lupin.. she falls somewhere after them.

But honestly, I think at best, you could give her the middle name Hermione, and people would chuckle a bit when they first heard it. But it would just be an unliveable first name. =/

#7 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

I have read all of the books and seen the movies, but if I met someone named Hermione, I might think Harry Potter, but only once. I think especially if people knew her, maybe she would get that, but I really don't think it would be too bad. I also think it would die down. It's gorgeous and unique, and definitely shoudl be used.

#8 Jellybean

Jellybean

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:-Watching movies<br />-Reading (specially poetry)<br />-Writing<br />-Playing with my daughter<br />-Travelling<br />-Learning different languages

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:31 PM

Hermione is definetelly associated to HP,because it is very unusual and before J. K. Rowling,people didn't even know that name.But I would definetely name my kid another character name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users