15 replies to this topic

#1 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

I was wondering what your thoughts on the name were? Spelling? (Lorelai vs. Lorelei)
It's really been growing on me again. I had it on my list for a long time but it didn't make my top list the last time I edited. But it's been stuck in my mind for a while now and I'm thinking about adding it back on.

Any middle name ideas? Or even first names to go with it? -though I would prefer it as a fn. :wub:

I currently only have these combinations, but none seems to stand out for me:

Lorelai Jane

Lorelai Maeve

Lorelai Phoebe

As for nicknames, Lo, Rory and Elle are my favourites.

#2 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Spelling wise, I prefer Lorelai, as that’s more in tune with pronouncination. I find Lorelei when I say it out loud I say Lor-e-Lee (lei) not Lie(lai) if that makes any sense :s

As for middle names I must say Jane hit a good spot.
Lorelai Juliana
Lorelai Anna
Lorelai Clara
Lorelai Heidi
Lorelai Olive
Lorelai Estrella
Lorelai Matisse
Lorelai Portia
Lorelai Maxine
Lorelai Harriet
Lorelai Nora
Lorelai Dorothea
Lorelai Tabitha
Lorelai Samara
Lorelai Violet
Lorelai Fleur
Lorelai Jolie
Lorelai Satine
Lorelai Bronte
Lorelai Charlotte

#3 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

I prefer Lorelei in spelling :) Lorelai makes me think lore-ah-lye (lye rhyming with sky rather than lee like lore-ah-lee.. it is supposed to be lore-ah-lee, right?)

Lorelei Sarah
Lorelei Calla
Lorelei Vera
Lorelei Isla
Lorelei Olive
Lorelei Mara
Lorelei Freya
Lorelei Esther

Idk why, but I like names that have the letters above with Lorelei. So visually attractive! I especially love I's and C's with Lorelei. Idk. Its a short list, but do any help? I can recommend more if you need!

#4 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

I first fell in love with it when I watched "Gilmore Girls". I was 13.. I'm now 20 and I've just started rewatching from the beginning for the fourth time.

I actually like it pronounced Lore-uh-lie. (The same as it's pronounced on the show). I also love both characters and since that's what people seem to think of first when they hear the name, I don't see it as a bad connotation. :wub:

LOVED Lorelai Charlotte from your list, Brittany. Also Lorelai Bronte and Lorelai Violet.

I liked Lorelei Sarah and Lorelei Esther from your list, Remy. Though I personally prefer names with different sounds to Lorelai, so for me a name that's not too "L" or "R" heavy would work best.

(I think I'm leaning towards the Lorelai spelling though. Lorelei makes me feel like it should be pronounced "Lore-elle-ey"?)

• brittany111 likes this

#5 MeganMoxie

MeganMoxie

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Education (I'm a teacher). Being online, reading and tv. I love to shop, but I can't afford it anymore lol.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

I've always prefered the Lorelei spelling because pronunciation wise, I would think more of a "eye" sounding end, whereas Lorelai would have an "aye" sounding end.
But either is very nice. I <3 the name.

Lorelei Samara
Lorelei Marilyn
Lorelei Simone
Lorelei Margaret
Lorelei Vivian

#6 kelsie__

kelsie__

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

OOH! I visited my cousin's church this past summer and we had to take care of the nursery. It was ages 2 months to 2 or something. But Lorelei was a little3 or 5 month old girl in there. She was so pretty! Really tiny, dark hair, eyes I think were blue or hazel. I got to hold her, too!! She reminded me of a little lamb! I'd never heard the name before and I added it to my list after meeting her. I'll think on the middle names for ya. I like it as a first name, too. I'll text Kaylee and ask what her middle name is, maybe give you an idea. <33

#7 Camellia

Camellia

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

I prefer the spelling Lorelai. Like you said, the -lai makes me think more of the "eye" noise, whereas -lei makes me think more "ay."
Out of your three choices, I like Lorelai Jane the best.

Here are more suggestions:

Lorelai Hazel
Lorelai Jade
Lorelai Poppy
Lorelai June
Lorelai Maude
Lorelai Faith
Lorelai Maxine
Lorelai Daphne
Lorelai Frances
Lorelai Catherine
Lorelai Kate
Lorelai Tess
Lorelai Judith
Lorelai Beatrice

Sorry for any repeats. (:

#8 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

I prefer Lorelei personally :)

#9 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

I first fell in love with it when I watched "Gilmore Girls". I was 13.. I'm now 20 and I've just started rewatching from the beginning for the fourth time.

I actually like it pronounced Lore-uh-lie. (The same as it's pronounced on the show). I also love both characters and since that's what people seem to think of first when they hear the name, I don't see it as a bad connotation. :wub:

LOVED Lorelai Charlotte from your list, Brittany. Also Lorelai Bronte and Lorelai Violet.

I liked Lorelei Sarah and Lorelei Esther from your list, Remy. Though I personally prefer names with different sounds to Lorelai, so for me a name that's not too "L" or "R" heavy would work best.

(I think I'm leaning towards the Lorelai spelling though. Lorelei makes me feel like it should be pronounced "Lore-elle-ey"?)

Hehe, I really don't want many movies, shows, etc. And I've never watched Gilmore Girls before, so I have no associations towards Lorelei / Lorelai. Nor have I heard it pronounced properly anywhere, so I just guessed a pronunciation :/ Opps <3 is the lie part of lore-eh-lie like when telling a lie, or more like lee? I know the feeling, normally I like the names to compliment each other in separate sounds. Not sure why I prefer I's with it. Though I do understand C's.

I don't think Lorelei looks like lore-elle-ey any more than Lorelai does, tbh. But silly me didn't realize that wasn't how either way pronounced :rolleyes: so I'm not a good judge there lol!

Hmm... I've been trying to search for names that don't contain any of the prominent letters to Lorelai, but its so darn tricky! Ah I swear every name either has an L, an R, an oh sound, an A, or a mix of the bunch! :( A few of the suggestions are a little more out there, which isn't really your style, but I figured it couldn't hurt to throw them out there ;) Idk, just maybe one might unexpectedly be liked or something. lol
Catherine
Elsa
Scarlett
Vivian
Violet
Petal
Fleur
Sage
Helen
Joan
Anne
Jane / June
Faith
Beatrice
Matilda
Sophia / Sophie
Tess
Georgia
Susannah
Patience

I know a few of these contain L's, but I guess they were not as prominent in the name. Like Scarlett doesn't emphasize the L. Though it has a double whammy of RL >:l no winning Yaz, just no winning. Though I think Lorelai Patience would be really cute tbh. Though I'm currently having a thing for Patience haha <3

I hope these ones help, girly :)

#10 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

Thanks so much ladies!

Though I love both Vivian and Margaret, Megan, it bothers me that they have the same syllables as Lorelai. I'm a little picky, huh?

I loved Lorelai Hazel, Lorelai Poppy, Lorelai Maude and Lorelai Kate from your list, violet illusion (Sorry I don't know your name!).

Riss, I think you'd like Gilmore Girls. It's one of those quirky, hilariously funny, awkward mother daughter shows. I adore it!

I pronounce it like the "ie" in lie. Not "ee". ^_^

Lorelai Scarlett is gorgeous, as are Lorelai June and Lorelai Sophie!

Lorelai Georgia might be a little too much Gilmore Girls (Lorelai's daughter Rory -Also Lorelai- has a half sister named Georgia "Gigi").

And as for Lorelai Patience, it's gorgeous. I really like it. I've loved Prudence/Patience for such a long time.. I'm just not sure if I could get past the meaning of either.

#11 Camellia

Camellia

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

I loved Lorelai Hazel, Lorelai Poppy, Lorelai Maude and Lorelai Kate from your list, violet illusion (Sorry I don't know your name!)

I'm glad you liked some! It was hard to find names that didn't have too much R or L in them.
My name is Cassie, by the way. (:

Good luck! If I think up any more, I'll make sure to let you know!

#12 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

I prefer Lorelei for the spelling.

MN suggestions: (sorry for any repeats)

Tess
Tabitha
Elise
Matilda
Fiona
Catherine
June
Eve
Zoey
Alicia
Elizabeth
Rhiannon

#13 MeganMoxie

MeganMoxie

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Education (I'm a teacher). Being online, reading and tv. I love to shop, but I can't afford it anymore lol.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Thanks so much ladies!

Though I love both Vivian and Margaret, Megan, it bothers me that they have the same syllables as Lorelai. I'm a little picky, huh?

I loved Lorelai Hazel, Lorelai Poppy, Lorelai Maude and Lorelai Kate from your list, violet illusion (Sorry I don't know your name!).

Riss, I think you'd like Gilmore Girls. It's one of those quirky, hilariously funny, awkward mother daughter shows. I adore it!

Lorelai Georgia might be a little too much Gilmore Girls (Lorelai's daughter Rory -Also Lorelai- has a half sister named Georgia "Gigi").

And as for Lorelai Patience, it's gorgeous. I really like it. I've loved Prudence/Patience for such a long time.. I'm just not sure if I could get past the meaning of either.

lol I used to be the exact same way with syllables. I totally get it.

#14 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

Thanks so much ladies!

Hehe, I might! I just don't watch TV ;) If I got it on DVD I'd probably sit and watch it eventually though haha <3 But it sounds really cute! :)
Oh okay, I get it now haha <3
And haha wow, opps :P Lorelai and Georgia are a cute sib set though.. :P
I'm glad you like a couple though! <3

Mmm, yeah true. I don't think I could get Mike to like Patience because of the meaning. I haven't tried, but you know.. its a feeling I get. I understand though :) I haven't thought of Prudence though, and I kinda do like it! I'll have to get around to suggesting them to him.. anyways.. hmm :( I wish I could just get a good suggestion in my brain! I'm not sure whats happened, but my name nerdiness seems to be going wonky :o Can't think up name combo's for the life of me! Its been so many months now and I'm still all blahh. Oh well...

I really love Lorelai Scarlett tbh. I think they flow well and they seem to match somehow.. idk :)

<3

#15 CJAngel

CJAngel

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Family, Reading, Writing, Music, Designing and Creating things, Animals, Relaxing.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Love the spelling Lorelai, loved this name ever since I first started watching gilmore girls. I have this name on my list too as Lorelai Penelope Grace, Lorelai Noelle Grace & Lorelai Charlotte Grace.

#16 Sami Marie

Sami Marie

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Names
    Movies
    Music
    Family

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

I have always liked Lorelei and its currently on my GP list. I also have always prefer the Lorelei spelling. Mostly because that's the one I'm use to seeing. The combination I have on my GP list is Lorelei Victoria. Out of your combos I like Lorelei Jane and Lorelei Phoebe. I also love the nickname Rory for Lorelei. I also know theres a connection to Gilmore Girls and Lorelei. I watched the show the entire run of it. Which the show used the spelling Lorelai. While Lorelei is from Germanic Mythology and means "luring rock".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users