Photo

Votes on boys names? :)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Boys Names (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote in the names you like!

1. Hale (7 votes [21.21%])

Percentage of vote: 21.21%

2. Gunther (1 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

3. Gunner (1 votes [3.03%])

4. Hamish (1 votes [3.03%])

5. Hawkin(s) (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

6. Fisher (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

7. Linus (1 votes [3.03%])

8. Ryker (3 votes [9.09%])

9. Theodore (11 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

10. Reeve (3 votes [9.09%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

I'm having a mini break through in names! I have a solid two girls names I'm entirely interested in, then a slew of boys I'm thinking about. Could you ladies vote in all the names you like? I'm mostly looking for a name that would suit Roman as a sibling (We have both Roman Connor and Roman Grey on our list... right this moment I'm leaning towards Grey but I still love Connor lol).

I'll add a little info about each name here if it sways your opinion at all or is just nice to know about the name :)

Hale - I didn't see Hale anywhere in the Social Security Administrations top 1000, so I guess its still unique. If you never find the Haley's I guess, but Haley and Hale still sound different. I think it sounds handsome! According to Nameberry, it means "someone who lives in a hollow", and apparently it has a namesake of Nathan Hale- a revolutionary war hero. So far I see no negatives.. yet hehe. Plus I think Roman and Hale would sound quite fine as siblings. Its my favorite new boy name of late! Feels fresh and different, and its never been on my list previously. How fun?!

Gunther - It hasn't emerged onto the SSA charts either. Its a very German name, meaning "bold warrior". I have fond memories of the name. My dad calls my older brother by it sometimes, just random nick name. He calls him Gunther, he called me Fido for a while (long story), calls me sister Cutie Pie, and my little brother Bear (but its a nick name he's adapted to a while ago). Other, more public, associations are Gunther Grass (a novelist), and there's a gentleman named Gunther in a poem so says Nameberry. Honestly, I feel this as more of a guilty pleasure. But I still am growing increasingly fond of it!

Gunnar - The Scandinavian version of Gunther. Yeah, everyone see's this and thinks all military or violent, but in all technicality its not. (Yet I still acknowledge its going to be seen as a kid with violent parents). May end up another GP. Or a middle name. Apparently Gunnar is on the SSA lists though! Its number 502, with 515 babies receiving the name in 2011. Apparently in Scandinavian legend Gunnar is a key figure, and quite traditional there. They probably don't think weapons when they hear it, but still. I honestly do like it. And I met a Gunnar who just made the name sound so attractive! Cutest little toddler <3

Hamish - okay, off the bat, probably a GP. Pronounced HAY-mish, for those who aren't sure. Its not ham-ish, like ham. lol. I can see how it could possibly give off teasing potential, but do you think it'd be too bad? Is it acceptable? I love the sound of this name, Hay is just so attractive! And the mish is a soft ending, making Hay more complete. That was a totally drawn out way of saying I like the sound haha. The only thing that troubles me even a little is that its the Scottish equivalent of our James. I had an awful experience with a James and I greatly dislike hearing the name at all, and since I saw the relation its been stuck in my head a little. WDYT? Oh, and no its not on the SSA charts hehe.

Hawkin(s) - it makes me think of author Nathaniel Hawthorne lol, even though Hawkins and Hawthorne are distinctly different. Hawkins feels like it'd be an authors name, or someone smarts name. Idk. I am still debating on that S as it almost feels unecessary as I don't care for plural names (ie Collins), but Hawkin itself almost feels... like its really missing the letter. Hawkins feels like such an established last name that it needs the S. WDYT? A website tells me it means "little Hawk", I felt like that was too obvious lol. I like the idea of nick name Hawk though, it sounds manly. Plus I adore nature names, it fits right in! Nature names are pretty in style, as are surname names which would make Hawkins fit in perfectly.

Fisher - Fisher isn't unheard of, its 854 on the SSA charts with 248 babies receiving the name. So it feels a little more plausible than Hawkins. Well established before my idea of use. I love the idea of nick name Fish really though, as I nick named my brother Bear when we were little and it really stuck well. Wouldn't it be cute to have Uncle Bear and Nephew Fish? LOL! I swear I don't only like it for the idea of that happening lol. I think the name sounds handsome <3 I love occupational names so much lately.

Linus - Yeah, a GP for the moment. It isn't on the SSA charts at all, and its stuck with the Peanuts association. But to me, thats all the better! Unpopular, and personally I think the Peanuts are a fine association. I have fond memories of the show. Apparently Linus is a Greek name meaning Flax. Kinda interesting. Yay or Nay? Usable? I'd think especially as a middle name it'd work. And idk why people would use the Peanuts as an excuse not to use it, I think it gives good advertising of the name. On nameberry there are quite a lot of associations actually. I recommend looking at it :) http://nameberry.com/babyname/Linus

Ryker - I had Ryder on my list for a while, Mikes not a fan. And it faded out of my liking. We have Ryan on my list, but my neighbor Ryan is my association to it lately so it feels awkward to have it on the list. He doesn't love Riley, and I'm not loving it either.. but I love Rye names and would love to honor my BFF Rye in a name. I honestly like Ryker. (I liked Rylan for a girl but its WAY to close to Roman. Ryker and Roman cut it close too.. but aren't as similar as Rylan and Roman). Ryker would be a middle name only I think.. though I love the idea of first name with nick name Ryo. Apparently its a German name meaning "rich". My only downfall is the fact that "Rikers Island is infamous New York City jail" as nameberry puts it. Ruin the name?

Theodore - This ones been in my thoughts for a while. Would Roman and Theodore do well as siblings? Ro and Theodore? I don't love Theo or Teddy, though Teddy is growing on me for a small child lately. (I have issues saying Theo alone it seems, though all together in Theodore it comes out fine). I like the idea of TJ as a nick name.. Ro and TJ? Idk, I'd rather use all of Theodore.

Reeve - I'm not sure I like it yet, but another I saw on Nameberry and wanted thoughts and whatnot. A fresher version of Reese. Its an english occupational name, meaning "bailiff". My only concern is the fact that Reese is kinda in the family already, not directly but the sound is there. So would Reeve just be too close? Is it a good name, do you think?

Lol, lots of thoughts and opinions to each name. I should get to bed now... I was just too excited over these names to not post them on here! OMG! And I just came up with... Hale Nicastro! It sounds so educated.. and darn handsome! Eeep! :wub:

#2 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:22 AM

waaa im not the only one head over heels for Hale weeeee

#3 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

Theodore and Hamish :)

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

Thanks ladies!!! <3

Hahaha yeah I'm suddenly so in love with Hale! I can just imagine this strong, attractive man who's intelligent and such but I also see an adorable little playfull boy :)

Ahh Ash I'm so happy someone else likes Hamish!! I figured people might like Theodore, as its the more traditional of the bunch. But I assumed everyone would push Hamish to the side :( So glad to be wrong!

#5 xxThePumpkinQueenxx

xxThePumpkinQueenxx

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:singing, writing, reading, psychology, science, math, forensics, children, going to church, being with my family and SEC football. War Eagle!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hale - I think this could be adorable, but I live in the south and I'm 100% sure it would turn sour for a kid with this name :( I can see it being mispronounced so easily.

Gunther - It's not bad, but it's not a favorite either. Average, I guess? I wouldn't use it. Though I have been wanting to look into more German names. :)
Gunnar - I can see a military family using this name. Seriously. I think it would work. :)

Hamish - so I saw this, and automatically thought Alice in Wonderland :lol: I have a love-hate relationship for this name. Sometimes I like it, then the others I'm like.. pffffttttttt. It's more Old English to me, and I think that's why I like it..when I do like it. lol

Hawkin(s) - I swear there is a writer/actor with this last name and I can not remember it for the life of me!

Fisher - this is kind of cute, but again, the southern aspect of this name drives me nuts. :/ (Hunter, Fisher, blah blah... hate them! hate them all!)

Linus - Peanuts! I called Aasyn this for a few months when he was little because he always carried his blanket with him EVERYWHERE. I think it could be usable, especially since this generation now won't know about the comic strip and if people never used names that were different, we wouldnt have sucha variety of names to choose from :)

Ryker- Not sure about this one. Makes me think of video games. Dont ask :lol:

Theodore - This is probably my favorite. Of course, right? Theodore has been growing on me as well :wub:

Reeve - My friends mothers last name is Reaves, so this is what I see when I read this, and then I remember how I use to go by Angel when I was hanging out with her and we came up with a name for me at her house, like I was her sister lol Her mom claimed me and everything!

Sorry if I wasn't much help.
In the end, it's really up to you. I'm sure with the right middle names, all these names would be adorable!

#6 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

Wow, thanks so much Lauren!!!

Oh dear, I don't even know how a southern accent would sound with Hale :l As a New Englander, I imagine it not having an issue. Even living so close to Boston I don't have a Boston accent at all, neither does anyone I know. We just say it regular ;) Good news here is though, Mike loves Hale!! Ahh I'm so thrilled :wub: And he loves the combo Hale Nicastro.. its 100% on Our List!! Eep!!! I feel like my list is getting less bland... <3

Mmm, I haven't decided if I can really imagine using Gunther ever. I feel the attractiveness of it, but I also know how my dad would respond. He likes it as a nick name, obviously as he uses it for my brother. But IDK how he'd feel of it as a given name. Though lately he's been teasing me of my name taste going down the drain :lol: he says I used to like good names, now my list has Henry and William and Charlotte and old people names XD Oh, daddy.

Gunnar does feel so militaristic. I feel like this name wouldn't go over very well with my extended family. They are the types that have never shot a gun and think its a less than great thing and all.. then naming my kid after these violent things would probably cause a scene. But, it'd be my kid. I'll do as I darned well please ;) I'll have to find a combo I love it in and see <3

Hahaha! I didn't even think of Alice and Wonderland.. even though I've been going through a strange phase of it! I was looking up birthday cakes and Alice and Wonderland popped up and ever since... Hamish has never actually been on my list before, but I've always been a fan of old fashioned names... Horatio is another one I like.

I've been thinking the same about Hawkins ever since I saw it!! John Hawkins is what I was thinking, I think. He's and English author and friend of Samuel Johnson and Horace Walpole. So says google ;) I like the author association. I'm such a fan of books... I just love it. Sounds so sophisticated lol.

The southern aspect? As in occupational names feel to southern to you? I suppose they do feel southern to me at least. Though its not why I like them. I'm not sure why I like occupational names, honestly. Same with surname names. I think I like surname names actually because they sound formal. Idk. Fisher is an interesting name though. I'm still trying to think of how well it'd age :/

Heheh thats cute!! I feel like even though so many older people would know the reference, I don't think its a bad thing. The Peanuts were so cute, and its a positive association I'd say! So IDK why anyone disqualified it from their options. Plus Linus is truly cute. True that! Especially on boys names! Most people are fairly okay with venturing into unique names for girls.. but always stick to the standards when it comes to boys. Even when you look at the SSA list it shows. All Williams and Matthews pretty much throughout, then the girls go on with Willow's and made up names and anything really. I was reading a nameberry article about how so many sibsets start looking like "Henry and Willow" because of it. Random here ;) but anyway, I think it'd be nice to venture out a bit on my boys names. Not out there, but a little different. I'll have to ask Mikes opinion.. though he wont even venture out with girls names really lol.

Video games? Lol I wont ask. I'm still on the fence. I feel like Riker Island is such a bad association on Ryker, but I love Ry- names. Especially since my BFF is called Rye... I wanna honor her. Hmm.

Hehe, Theodore is the favorite here ;) So traditional, much grounds to it. I think the nick name issue is really what gets me. I can't stand the idea of just Ted. Teddy is bearable, but Ted itself.... blahh. But I feel like people will want to give him nick names. Maybe its best left as a middle name lol. I know Mike likes it as a GP. I wonder if he'd like it as a middle name.. To think of it, Gunnar Theodore is kinda cute. Or Hawkins Theodore. OR any of the names above hahaha

I'm still really unsure on Reeve. It almost feels too last name like for me, strangely enough. Thats really cute about you and your friend though!!

Thanks so so so much Lauren! This was bunches of help!!! I always love hearing feedback on my names ^_^

#7 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

Theodore is so handsome! I love Reeve and Linus as guilty pleasures or middle names, too.

#8 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Thanks Meghan!! I've decided Reeve is definitely a GP, still deciding on the rest :) <3

#9 xxThePumpkinQueenxx

xxThePumpkinQueenxx

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:singing, writing, reading, psychology, science, math, forensics, children, going to church, being with my family and SEC football. War Eagle!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

I just found out today that there's a Hale county here in Alabama :lol: and apparently a city named Gunner :lol:
Wouldnt have known if it werent for the severe weather warnings.

#10 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

Lol Lauren!! Thats funny :P We have a Mount Hale in NH, but no town :P I feel like most towns are surnames to someone. Key word most lol, some interesting town names out there... :L

#11 coyote19

coyote19

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Traveling, Japan, Languages, and Names : )

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hale - I like heavy L names for boys, a gp of mine is Cale :) I think Hale is adorable as well though I think of the comical siren on Lost Girl now lol XD

Gunther - I'm all for German/Germanic names, they're nice and very underused! That said this one would be my least favorite :c I just don't like the -goon- sound in the beginning nor the -ter- sound at the end, it's not a well balanced name to me.

Gunnar - I too can see this with a military family, over all I'm neutral towards it though I myself wouldn't use it.

Hamish - I like the sound of Hamish a lot, I myself wouldn't use it because of Hunger Games even though I loved the character. It's a 'softer' boys name which I like a lot : )

Hawkin - lulut0xxic were you thinking of Stephen Hawking? That's who I first thought of when I saw this, overall I'm neutral toward it as it's not my style...yet I like Kestrel X D haha I make no sense! I could possibly use Hawkin as a character name or last name.

Fisher - it's got a very southern feel to it, not my style, I'd go with Marlin though. I generally avoid occupation based names : )

Linus - I thought of peanuts as well, man I'm not old but I definitely grew up with older shows and it's making me feel old! I really like this name, it's sweet and gentle : )

Ryker- It's an energetic name so I can see the appeal but I always think of the prison :c

Theodore - I used to adore this name <3 but it's fallen out of the limelight for me, it's a great name though! Very sturdy : )

Reeve - This is an interesting one! Reeve is actually a title of nobility, lesser known than names like Duke and Earl, I like it : ) it's unique but not too out there!

How I'd rank your names (best to least): Hale, Theodore, Linus, Hamish, Reeve, Gunnar, Fisher, Ryker, Hawkin, Gunther

#12 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

I love Fisher and Theodore! Especially the nickname Theo for Theodore, it's just so handsome and cute at the same time!

Hale - This reminds me of the weather, like Hail so its like names like Frost and snow to me

Gunther - I want to say I remember a character on some show with this name but I can't get myself to remember it it. Not a huge fan of this one

Gunnar - This one reminds me of names like Arrow, Garrison and Marshall, the tougher military type names

Hamish - This name makes me think of a little southern boy trying to say "Ham Sandwich" I have no idea why but I do. Cute, but not my style either :)

Hawkin - Where I come from we use the slang term "hockin" to say they we sold/pawned something

Fisher - Cute, a good name to go with the likes of Hunter :)

Linus - I think of the little boy on Charlie Brown every time! Cute but just not my style :)

Ryker- When I hear this name I think of Rikers Island which is New York main prison complex, so bad association for me.

Theodore - Love, Love, LOVE!!! The nickname Theo is so cute!

Reeve - Not a huge fan of this one but it's not horrible or anything :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users