• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

So BNG'ers I was curious, do you have any rules that you follow when it comes to picking names?
Mine are fairly standard, don't use exes names (one my little sister purposely breaks) or names that have bad connections and embaressing intitials.

#2 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

I'm very picky with names, but I can't say I have set rules. The ones you listed are pretty much a given (except for the bad connections--every once in a while you can make an exception because a name can be gorgeous even if some jerk has it)

I don't do "trydee" spellings. I tend to shy away from unisex names, though I will make a few exceptions with middle names and if it is paired with either a very masculine/feminine name. On the topic of unisex names, I never swap my unisex names. If by chance there is one I like, its either all girl or all boy. I could never consider the same name for both genders. I tend to shy away from nicknames, though I've become more lenient on that one recently. But for the most part I like to choose names that I would plan to call my children by, not ones that I deliberately find nicknames for (for example I like the name Kate--so I'd use Kate, not Katherine. But Helen "Len," Lydia "Lydie," and Penelope "Penny" are a few exceptions). I also try to pick very feminine and soft names for girls, but I guess that's more of a style than a rule. Hmm...idk, I suppose that sums up my "rules" haha

#3 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

I'm slightly picky too. My rules are:

1. I cannot add a name to my list if I know someone with that name. If I've known them in the past but haven't seen them in a while, then I could possibly use the name. It seems like a stupid rule, but I just can't picture myself using the name of someone I know!

2. Unique names or creative spellings aren't necessarily bad, but the names I add to my list shouldn't look or sound too obscure. I want people to be able to pronounce and spell my kids' names.

3. I agree with Permanent Rose... a name should be all girl or all boy to me. I don't usually like unisex or ambigious names.

4. No teasing potential! I don't want my kid to be made fun of for his / her name.

5. Ideally, a name should age well too. I wouldn't want my kid to feel ashamed of his / her name as an adult.

That's all I can think of right now... cool idea for a topic, Erin! -_-

#4 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

Unisex names don't bother me too much. Although I definetly tend to see them as boy names or girls names with no in between. The only exception being Riley. I love it for a little boy and a little girl, a girl a little more though.
Trendy spellings aren't too bad as long as they aren't outrageous. Aynzleigh vs Ainslee vs Ainsley

Thanks Meghan!

#5 xxThePumpkinQueenxx

xxThePumpkinQueenxx

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:singing, writing, reading, psychology, science, math, forensics, children, going to church, being with my family and SEC football. War Eagle!

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

I won't use a name if I see more than one other person naming their child that around me.
In an example : Emma. There are twins at the church and one of the girls is Emma Grace, the other is Hannah Grace.
And then Annie's Emma -_- I love the name, but I feel like that's two out of three little girls with the same name.

I won't use a name if I have immediate family with the same name like Nick's cousin Matthew. I won't use Matthew for a first name. Middle maybe.

I don't like unisex names because, to me, most of them aren't unisex. They're male or female in my eyes.

I won't use a crafty name if someone else has already named their child that. My friend from college named her daughter Braylee, and my friend of 12 years named her daughters Braelyn and Kaelyn. I won't use those either, even though I totally love Braylee and Braelyn. (Though Braylee's name is Braylee Ann.. I would have added a second middle name in there if it were me ;) ) Then there's Jaycee Drew. My cousin's daughter. I was considering the name Jaycee for Hayleigh but I felt like I was snatching Diane's name.

I also don't like names that feel plain. Too easy to come up with.

I'm kind of picky, but not really picky all the same. I like unique, low profile names. I like my babies to have their own name I guess. I thrive on being different, but at the same time I like vintage, southern, and strong names.

I'm a tad bit weird :)

#6 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

I do have a few rules.. but most of them tend to have exceptions ;) As my naming style changes, and I explore different options, sometimes there are names that just stand out past any rule. But here are the rules I can think of..

1. There will be absolutely NO teasing potential. This is a no exception rule. If my child will possibly be subjected to ridicule on my account... -_- There are just some names that no child will ever be cool enough to sport.

2. No awkward initials. Another no exception. I would never name my child Amelia Sadie Silvermen's, nor Charlotte Olivia Wilson's. No matter what.

3. No names that run into each other. I don't want to name my kid Jonas Sanders. Half the people in the world would think he was named Jonah Sanders, the other half Jonas Anders. So nothing that smooshes.

4. It has to be a name I can picture myself growing up with. I suppose this has to do with the "out there" factor. Because naming your kid Jupiter might sound cool, but actually growing up with the name might not be as cool. Of course I see teasing potential in "Jupiter is stupider". But I also foresee job interviews where the boss is like "...?". And so on... And this also has to do with the aging factor. Cause can you see little baby Jupiter, to high school aged Jupiter, to grandpa Jupiter. ]

5. It has to be a name that me and my future hubby both agree on extensively. I could adore a name and possibly convince the Mike [or whoever] to use it. But unless they are 100% they love it too it doesn't matter. Because I want something that makes us both happy to use. Not just compromising either... a full out "we both loves these names and couldn't find a better name to use" sort of deal. Which having Mikes baby would be easy with seeing as we agree so much.

6. No ex's. I totally agree with you there, because you might say you'll just forget the ex and its a great name... but you wont. Well, I have an exception here. I dated a guy named Christopher / Chris, but the name isn't ruined for me because we only dated for like three months. When I was fifteen. And unless I really think about it, I generally forget him. Plus I have so many family members with the name Christopher / Kristopher, and know so many with the name, my associations with it are everywhere. But I still like it. Only as a middle name, I think. But this is one of the few ex's I'd still be fine with. There are some ex's that really don't effect people I guess. But others... I could never, EVER use Tyler. We never officially dated, but still. Never. Even if its Mikes fav [which it is one of his favs].

7. If I know someone who is having a baby around the same general time as me and she tells me she the name she likes, and I like it too, I am not going to use that name without asking permission. Especially if I'm due before she is! Its just so rude to steal names like that, even if I was thinking about using that name before she mentioned it. Now, I guess it might be different if I was already set on that particular name and didn't say anything then she pops it up. I'd just casually mention I had planned on the same name and come to an agreement. But to hear someone say a name then decide to use it is rude. [which is why I'm not going to tell anyone what I'm planning to use as a name until the baby is born if possible! The only circumstance I'd squeal is if what mentioned above happens. Someone else using the same name by chance].

8. I'm going to TRY to not use any name that are in the top 30 for name popularity!! My original goal was 100, then to 50.. now 30. Because I just love so many popular names. In the end, I'm going to use whatever name me and Mike love. But my goal is to be the least popular as possible.

9. This one is also a little less important, but flow matters a lot to me. I like having the "perfect flow" to my names, you know? Penelope Clara is so perfect to me in how it just comes off the tongue so nicely! No hassle in saying aloud, and I can't imagine someone mishearing the name. Its clear. Pleasant to say. And I'm aiming for any name I use to be clear and pleasant to say. Chase Anthony is me and Mikes number 1, so far we're on the right track. We'll just have to see about girls names!

When I want to be, I am VERY picky about names!! But I feel once it actually comes down to having a baby, I'm just going to pick any old name that sounds amazing to me and Mike. Something stellar that makes my heart flutter when I say it. And something I can imagine my little prince or princess being called for the rest of his or her life! <3

#7 EmilieKay

EmilieKay

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:playing the piano,playing the violin,reading,baking,cooking,taking care of kids,sewing,teaching piano,playing the mandolin

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

Basically mine are-
No unisex names-I'll give animals unisex names but I'll never give a person a "either or" name
I won't do the exact same name as someone I know, I may do a variation
I have a few more but I can't remember them right now! lol

#8 Kristi18

Kristi18

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Name Games Moderator
  • 6,906 posts
  • Interests:Spending life with my husband.
    Cuddling with my kids.
    Hanging with my family.
    Enjoying God's creation.
    Laughing with friends.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

My "rules"

1. Initials can not spell anything.
2. The name has to age well with my child, or have a nickname they can use as an adult.
3. Nothing unisex. When someone looks at my child's name on paper, I want them to know if it is a girl or boy.
4. The first and middle names have to sound good together when hollered out loud!
5. The middle name has to be a family name, or a form of a family name.
6. Can not be the name of someone I know or knew and do not like. Some people can totally ruin a perfectly good name!
7. My DH has to approve (more his rule than mine!)
8. The name needs to have a nice meaning.
9. Maybe needs to have both an "L" and a "K" in it to continue our "theme"????

My kiddos - Kayli (means laurel or crown) and Luke (bringer of light)

#9 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

Tried to think of as many as I could!

1. Ageing Potential
I stray away from names that sound too cutesy. I much prefer longer and more old-fashioned names with cute nicknames [Helena nn Ellie].
However, there have been some exceptions like Molly, Pippa, Lucy, Ruby and Ella.
To "rectify" this, I paired these with much older sounding names that I figure the child can be called by as an adult if they wish.

2. Associations
It might be a little weird to name your child the same name as a friend or someone you've known for a long time.
Most of the names on my list are ones who are not of people I know. There are inevitable exceptions like Charlotte, Katherine, Lucy or Hannah.
But I won't not use a name I love, simply because of a person that I knew a while ago with the same name.
I am inclined to agree, though, that ex's names are immediately vetoed!

3. Honouring Names
There are a lot of people who only use names of ancestors that have passed. I however, wouldn't mind using my mother's or sister's name to honour them.
But I will never use it as a first name. So what I've thought of is using a variation or a name of similar sound or meaning {As a first or middle name}, to honour them more discretely.
There is also the use of initials and using their surnames as middle names.
Some examples:
Mother's name is Andrea = I might use Alexandria.
Sister's name is Danielle = I Might use Daniel or a name with "-Elle" in it.
Brother's initials are OP = I might use Owen Patrick.
Father's last name is Cohen = I might use Cohen as a middle name.
Grandmother's name is Hannah, meaning Grace = I might name my daughter Grace.
...I would love to name my first daughter Anna which could honour both my mother and grandmother!
There's so many ideas that I don't think it should pose a problem!

4. Initials
A combination cannot have initials that end up spelling something rude or that could be easily made fun of.
e.g. Zachary Ian with a surname beginning in T or Grace Aurelie with a surname beginning in Y.
Of course this will depend on the letter of the surname eventually used.
I also have a strict rule of staying away from the initials B and J together... unfortunately, my mother didn't and named my brother Benjamin Jonathan!

5. Meaning
It isn't all that important to me, I won't not use a name I really love, simply because it's meaning isn't too favourable.
However, I know when a bad meaning trumps a beautiful name.
e.g. I really like the name Mara, but it's meaning "bitter" has been the reason for it's transfer to my GP list.
Same for Temperance, meaning "moderation" in reference to food.

6. Pairing
I will never pair names ending with the same sound e.g. Lillian Vivian or Oliver Archer.
I avoid using the same beginning letters in both first and middle names e.g. Anna Audrey or Ethan Everett.
Also, I shy away from using combinations with the first name ending in the same letter with which the middle begins.
Exceptions are with names ending in a silent letter, like "E".
e.g. Charlotte Emily or Blake Edison.

7. Repetition
Unless it is unavoidable, I will refrain from using the same clump of letters in both first name and middle name.
e.g. Annie Francesca or Henry Spencer.
Sometimes I can be a little too obsessive about this though.

8. Similarity to Actual Words
Even though I might love the name, if it reminds me of a word -usually one that you wouldn't want your name associated with- then I have to reconsider.
Like Aurelie or Violet for example, if said too fast, might come out as "Orally" and "Violate". So as much as I love it, I could never name my child this.
Both have, however, stayed on my list.
There's also names that are fine in English, but are everyday words in other languages {In my case Hebrew & French!} which I just cannot bring myself to use.
Nora for example, is the word for awful in Hebrew.

9. Spelling
Usually, I try and use the cleanest looking spelling of a name I can. No "tryndee" names for me!
However, names that are originally spelled a 'strange' way but are legitimate versions [Like the Irish Sinead & French Matthieu] - I would gladly use.
There are names like "Niamh" and "Eoghan" for example, that I do like easier spellings for.
On my list I have the name "Neve", for the simple reason that it's the way Israeli's spell it in English.
It's just a way to make it easier in all three of my "family languages". As for "Eoghan", I prefer the -legally correct- Owen much more!

10. Style
Only one of the two names in the combo might be considered extravagant. What I mean by that is, I will never pair two very uncommon names together.
There will usually be either a traditional first name or middle name. e.g. Esme Diana or James Cassius.

11. Syllables
Maybe it's OCD, but I dislike combining two names with the same syllables.
If I have a short first name, I pair it with a longer middle name [e.g. Julianne Ruth], same with a long first name and a short middle name [e.g. Max Benjamin].
The only exceptions are with 2 syllable names, however, one of the two names will have more letters and look longer.

12. Unisex
This is a tough one. I like a couple of unisex names, but most are already much more popular nowadays on one gender than other.
Though like most of my combinations, there is a rule. I will always pair them with a first or middle name that is traditional and considered ALL boy or ALL girl.
e.g. Isobel Quinn or Drew Graham.

#10 xxThePumpkinQueenxx

xxThePumpkinQueenxx

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:singing, writing, reading, psychology, science, math, forensics, children, going to church, being with my family and SEC football. War Eagle!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

4. The first and middle names have to sound good together when hollered out loud!

Amen to that! I forgot to put that in mine, but I did that when I was naming both my children. I would take the names I picked and holler them out loud a few times to see if they worked!

I also forgot to put no ex's names, as well as no weird initials. Which sucks because some of my favorite names for a girl would make the initials A$$ -_-

#11 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Amen to that! I forgot to put that in mine, but I did that when I was naming both my children. I would take the names I picked and holler them out loud a few times to see if they worked!

I also forgot to put no ex's names, as well as no weird initials. Which sucks because some of my favorite names for a girl would make the initials A$$ -_-

I holler names too. It's probably the first thing I do. If I don't like the way it sounds when it's hollered than I can't use it even if I like the way it sounds when it's said.
Most names I come up with wind up spelling things like DAB or JIB but spelling things like that are okay. My little sister's intials would be KFC if she marries her current bf or the last two guys she dated before him (if she moves her last name to the middle), which I'm highly entertained by.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users