6 replies to this topic

#1 Anny

Anny

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:34 AM

So, I have found two names that I might add to my list of favorites, although I can't call it list yet!

It would be:

Eliana ~~~ Hebrew, meaning 'my God has answered'; Latin, feminine form of Elianus, meaning 'sun'

Liora ~~~ Hebrew, feminine form of unisex name Lior, meaning 'my light'

I like those names because they are unique, simple and beautiful, also elegant but strong, and kinda cute at the same time!

So, what do you think?

And would the following names work as middle names? (They are/ were my grandmothers' names) Which ones would flow best with them? I am also open to suggestions :-)

Renate Margarete (mom's mom)
Rita Charlotte Emilie (dad's mom)

#2 Starlight

Starlight

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:25 AM

Eliana is beautiful!! Different & lovely. Ellie would make a nice nickname too. :)

Liora kinda reminds me of a newer version of Laura. Gorgeous name.

Lovely names, & they aren't too common either.. I like your style and would love to see more of your list. :)

Eliana Charlotte & Liora Emilie would be nice combo's.

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:15 AM

I like those names because they are unique, simple and beautiful, also elegant but strong, and kinda cute at the same time!

^My thoughts exactly :)

Eliana is very pretty...maybe Eliana Margarete.
I like Liora a lot...maybe Liora Charlotte

I think Eliana & Liora would make a cute sib set.

#4 Anny

Anny

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

Eliana is beautiful!! Different & lovely. Ellie would make a nice nickname too. :)
Liora kinda reminds me of a newer version of Laura. Gorgeous name.
Lovely names, & they aren't too common either.. I like your style and would love to see more of your list. :P

Eliana Charlotte & Liora Emilie would be nice combo's.

^My thoughts exactly :)

Eliana is very pretty...maybe Eliana Margarete.
I like Liora a lot...maybe Liora Charlotte

Thanks for the feedback.

I do not really have a list yet, but I keep liking names starting with 'El-', probably because I love the nn Ellie :)
Another one I love is Elara. It is a name from Greek mythology, but more unknown. Elara somehow stands for motherhood, it has to do something with her son going to hell to meet Hades. But she goes down there to safe him or beg for his life. If I remember correctly. And it is a name of one moon of Jupiter, and I like that association to astronomy :)

I don't like the name Laura, it is pronounced differently here in Germany, sth. like that: Low-ruh (ow like in 'how' or 'cow') and I do not like it! But I kinda always like the English pronouncation!

I always thought that I will use Charlotte for my 2nd daughter because of my grandma, but I am not sure anymore.

Concerning the middle names:
(it isn't a must using family names, but those are the ones I thought of first, especially because my dad's mom died 11 years ago and since then, I want to use her names. But I am open for others!)
Eliana Charlotte ... mmh, I think I like Eliana Margarete more! Or should I go with Eliena, so that Germans pronounce it like English/ Americans/ ... pronounce Eliana? But a different spelling might be a problem in Germany, not all names are accepted, we kinda have some limits here. But since I am not pregnant, I can deal with it later :)
This one is on my list for years and I am still loving it :) : Elara Emilie ... Emilie isn't pronounced like Emily, but neither like Emilia, more like a short 'ye'-sound (like yeah instead of yes) at the end. I kinda like the intitials E.E. like e.e. cummings. But not a must either. Eliana Emilie doesn't really flow, or does it?
I think I love Liora Charlotte!!! They fit perfectly together! And since I am a nn-loving person, I think Lia would be a nice nickname :)
Another one would be Charlotte Rita. Like I said, I would like to use this name. I had liked the name even before my grandma died. But back then I knew a girl with that name, but we weren't closed, just knew each other, so I guess it is okay to use it! But I never wanted to use popular names, and Charlotte also got very common in Germany. But I think I wouldn't care, I love that name!
I also like Cordilia with the nn Dilia. This spelling in particular because then Germans would say the 'ee'-sound in the middle, that wouldn't be the case with Cordelia ('a'-sound instead of 'e' in the middle) and I like the English pronouncation way more than the German :)
But I haven't settled on names, I still have time to look.

Thanks girls for your thoughts, and keep ideas coming :)

#5 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

I understand your issues with pron. and spellings.

I like Elara (I ADORE E names...Eliana, Elara, Emilie...) I think the flow on Elara Emilie is fine they have different enough sounds that they don't mesh together when you say them.

I LOVE Cordelia (Cordilia), it is a favorite of mine. I like the nn Cordy, though Dilia is nice too.

#6 Anny

Anny

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:21 PM

So, I think I found a nice mn to go with Cordilia ~~~ Rosalie. So what do you think? Yay or Nay?

#7 Starlight

Starlight

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:57 PM

So, I think I found a nice mn to go with Cordilia ~~~ Rosalie. So what do you think? Yay or Nay?

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users