• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:polka dots, strawberries, comfortable clothes, chocolate, good music, baby things, working with kids, blogging, my friends

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

This is the Czech version of Katherine, and also the name of one of the models on America's Next Top Model. I absolutely love it and I think we might use it.

The middle names we like are Grace, Caroline, and Paige. So, her nickname will be Kate or Katie.

#2 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

How exactly is it pronounced? I'm trying to say Cat-ar-zee-na, but I might be wrong. Nonetheless, I think it looks pretty and I think Katarzyna Grace sounds beautiful.

#3 meg

meg

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:48 PM

I'm undecided on whether I like it. Another name I do like with similar sounds is Karenza/Karensa which is a cornishname that means love.

#4 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:polka dots, strawberries, comfortable clothes, chocolate, good music, baby things, working with kids, blogging, my friends

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:40 AM

How exactly is it pronounced? I'm trying to say Cat-ar-zee-na, but I might be wrong. Nonetheless, I think it looks pretty and I think Katarzyna Grace sounds beautiful.

That is how it is pronounced, I believe. Does it even matter to use a non-American name for a child?

#5 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:47 AM

Why not? People do it all the time.

#6 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:05 AM

Teasing. Mispronunciation, Misspelling.

#7 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:40 AM

I think it's fine. Katarzyna is actually spelled phonetically, so I don't foresee any problems. Though it is more common to see non-English names on recent immigrants (first or second generations too). But I think the name is pretty, so I think it should at least make the list.

#8 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:10 AM

Hurray for pronouncing it right, then! Now that I really know how to say it out loud, Katarzyna Grace (I also like Katarzyna Hope) is definitely a gorgeous name. I see absolutely nothing wrong with using a non-American name; Victoire is purely French, and we still get a lot of funny looks for Sinéad's name. For the longest time I wanted to give my child a Japanese name, because I love the culture. If you love it, use it :) I think it's beautiful.

As for the teasing? Trust me: no matter what name you choose, the cruelest kids will always find a way to make fun of another child's name. I got picked on because of Charity, and so did my cousins at one point or another.

#9 Kate

Kate

Star Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:22 AM

Katarzyna looks pretty, but I'd pronounce it kah-tar-zee-na. In my opinion it's fine to use a name from another culture, it's done so often that people don't even find it odd anymore. I like Katarzyna Paige.

#10 Adriana

Adriana

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:43 AM

I’m a little more inclined to agree with Kate on the pronunciation; I tried to use the “Kah-tar” sound as well - either way, I think it makes a very beautiful name for a little girl. I absolutely agree that it’s fine to use a name from another culture, there isn’t anything wrong with that at all! I say go for it. I don’t care for Caroline as a middle name for it, but the other two are lovely and I like Char’s suggestion of Hope.

And Charity’s DEFINITELY right about the teasing… kids will always find some way to tease another kid! I usually got called A-Drain :)

#11 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:49 PM

It maybe pronounced that way Adriana. "ka-tar-zy-na". If nothing else, we could call her Katie

#12 Jennifer

Jennifer

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Interests:I am a widow, I have 5 children, 3 at home still. Right now they keep me too busy to have my own interests or at least to give them much time. I do love taking pictures and changing backgrounds etc on the computer. I read when I get a chance.

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

Pronunciation: kah-tahr-zee-nah

Origin: Polish
Name Meaning: Polish cognate of Katherine, which is from the Greek Aikaterine, a name derived from katharos (pure, unsullied)

http://www.babynames..._Katarzyna.html you can hear how to pronounce it on this link..

I think it is really pretty and I like it with Paige

#13 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:27 AM

Thanks Jennifer!!!

#14 Adriana

Adriana

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

I take some sense of pride in knowing that I was phonetically correct, when Char the journalism major was not :) But I really adore the name. It's absolutely beautiful, and reminds me of a fairytale princess.

#15 Melissa

Melissa

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:My husband and I are very into basketball and soccer and our daughters are enjoying sports too. My oldest daughter does gymnastics, soccer, and dance and my youngest does soccer and dance, so those are my interests rights now. <br /><br />I also love kids and my job. My husband and I's jobs both involve children.

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:24 PM

How about Katharina? I like Katharina Grace a lot.

#16 Nicole

Nicole

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:51 PM

I'm not using it

#17 Liz

Liz

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:08 PM

This is pretty much a moot point since you've decided not to use it, but I know a woman named Katarzyna. The way she pronounces her name is very difficult for my American accent to replicated, but it's very close to Katarina. The Z sound is very subtle and almost an R, if that makes sense.

I do think it would be a pretty hard name to live with in the US. People are going to look at and get confused and then butcher it in 500 different ways. If you still like the sound, Katarina is very similar and a more "user friendly" name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users