• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FanOfTheGenie

FanOfTheGenie

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

My husband and I are expecting a baby girl and want to call her Milly. We are planning to name her Milly Elizabeth (both family names). We considered using a more formal first name, making Milly a nickname, but we don't want to use any names that are typically shortened to Milly (Millicent, Mildred, Amelia, Camille, etc.). My grandmother's name is Madeline. If we named our baby girl Madeline Elizabeth, would Milly be too much of a stretch for a nickname? We also thought about Mia Lily...combining the two to form Milly. Would it be annoying to go by Milly, but have an official name that is totally different? Or would she appreciate the option to go by a more formal name later on? Any advice or suggestions would be grately appreciated! Thanks so much!

#2 ashleylyn

ashleylyn

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

I love Milly but it's more of nn to me....What about Malece (Muh-Lease) and call her milly?

#3 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Matilda is one of my faves for a full name for Milly. It's a little stretch but it's easy enough to see how you got there. For me Milly is a nickname, and I'm not sure that Mia Lily would work fully, but she'd always be introduced by you as Milly I'm assuming, although it would be difficult going through school and having to explain.

Other names that could use nn Milly:
Mallory (quite a stretch but possible)
Marilyn
Camilla/Camille
Amelie
Emilia
Emiliana
Romilly

If you love just Milly then go for it, she's your baby, and people will love her no matter her name. Nicknames are very popular as first names here in the Uk, which is a trend that could spread elsewhere.

Hope this helps!
Hannah x
  • FanOfTheGenie likes this

#4 FanOfTheGenie

FanOfTheGenie

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

ashleylyn - thank you for putting thought into our dilemma! I really appreciate it! I wish I liked the name Malece. It's a creative solution, but to me it looks and sounds a little like "malice" (evil). ;) We're hoping to end up with a sweet and pretty name that is fairly easy to spell and pronounce. Thanks again!

#5 const3llati0ns

const3llati0ns

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Millicent
Mildred

Personally, I think Milly or Millie is fine by itself

#6 PaigeA

PaigeA

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

I have an Auntie Millie and a few friends called Milly so to me it is more of a name than just a nickname :)

Names that could maybe have Milly as a nickname:
Melissa
Camilla
Millicent
Melina
Milena
Matilda
Melia
Milania

Good luck!

#7 CLA

CLA

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

I think Milena would be a good formal name with Milly as a nickname. Milena Elizabeth goes very well together imo.

#8 Barbie

Barbie

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading, sign language, riding horses, volunteering, working with children, and teaching martial arts!

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

I LOVE Millie and don't see a need to have a full name with it. It works quite well on its own IMO.

#9 Kaysee712

Kaysee712

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

I think Millie/Milly is fine on it's own, otherwise I don't think Madeline is that far off. It's more unexpected but it still makes sense.

Otherwise Matilda, Amelia, Camille, Milena, Romilly, Emmeline, Milagros or just Mila.

#10 FanOfTheGenie

FanOfTheGenie

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

Thank you everyone SO MUCH for the feedback. What a helpful and thoughtful baby naming community this is! I tried to "like" each of your comments, but apparently I reached the website's maximum quota of likes for the day :). I'm happy to hear that many of you think Milly works on its own...we're leaning towards doing that. Thanks again!
  • PaigeA likes this

#11 Addison

Addison

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,122 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

I think it could work. If she is wanting a more formal name in the future, she could always use her middle name. :)

Just another thought, how about Emily nn Milly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users