#1 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 07:38 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm in need of reassurance/ help! I am due in 2 months and my husband and i have had our future child's name picked for the last 4 years. So we totally love the name and have done for so so long. Dilemma though. My husband would like to spell the babys name phonetically. I would prefer the traditional spelling.

Baby's name will be Mya (Maya) Grace.  

So hubs wants Mya because he thinks the spelling Maya could make people pronounce May-Uh.
I would rather the more traditional Maya. I can understand where he is coming from (only just :P) BUT know that i continually have to spell my name to people and its just annoying. Hubs says 'its fine, it's only correcting 3 letters, your name is long and that why you get annoyed'.  It's actually pretty nice that he has such an opinion on her name not just the yeah whatever attitude.

So i guess what im asking ...Is Mya really that bad or am i just being silly? Thoughts and opinions appreciated :)

Thank you <3

#2 Jenna_Lee

Jenna_Lee

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 05:34 PM

I would recommend that you spell it Maya. Since it's the traditional spelling and Maya is common enough that most people have heard it before, I'm pretty sure almost everyone knows that it's pronounced MY-uh. I would think that it would be much less annoying to correct the very rare person who pronounces it wrong than almost every person who spells it wrong.

Good luck! Maya Grace is a lovely name.

#3 DanielleH

DanielleH

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 06:52 PM

I would go with Maya Grace. That's a perfect choice! 💕
I don't believe Maya will be mispronounced. However, I do think there is a chance of people confusing Mya with Mia.

Good luck!

#4 ASL<3

ASL<3

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:08 AM

I agree with the above posters. Mya might be mispronounced more often than Maya. I also love Maya Grace! 💕 Congratulations and good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users