• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kassieb11

kassieb11

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Art, History, Kite-Boarding, Kites, Xbox, Video Games, Puzzles, Movies, Reading, Mythology, Animating, Anime, Animals, Names, Cooking.

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

How do you feel about virtue and emotion theamed names like Joy, Happy, Justice and Peace. Be completely honest Jeff and I have been playing around with these types of names and some appeal to us but we wondered if you gave one child a name from this theme wouldn't you make all the kids names from the same theme?

Tell us how you guys feel we are just looking on thoughts and may never use these types of names anyway but we just want to see your opinions.

Anyway if you like these types of names add on your favorites just for reference, if you don't just tell us why ect. Posted Image

#2 blakesbaby

blakesbaby

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

I absolutely LOVE them! I love names with meaning and there is no more to-the-point meaning than what you get with virtue names. I think you either could make them all virtue-type names or not, I'm really not one who is that into "sib-sets" as I think you should just go with what you love whether it sounds like it matches or not :)

A few of my favorites are:

Girls- Amity, Bliss, Charity, Clemence, Faith, Grace, Harmony, Honor, Hope, Liberty, Mercy, Serenity, True, Verity
Boys- Brave/Bravery, Constant, Earnest, Justice, Noble
Unisex- Glory, Love

#3 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

They are alright. Some appeal to me, others I absolutely can't stand. Names like Hope, Joy, Faith and Grace are well established and seen as classics, those I like. But names like Serenity, Harmony, Liberty, Trinity, Bliss, and Courage I honestly can't stand. I do have Trinity and Serenity as a GP Sibset just because they are matchy, but actually seeing them on babies makes me cringe. Though names like Charity and Blythe I neither like or dislike, they are simply names that were once very common and are still usable. I dislike most Virtue/Pseudo Virtue and Emotion names on boys. Virtue names have just always seemed a female trend to me.

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

I don't care for them, sorry! I feel like they give too much pressure on a child, adds to teasing potential. What if little Happy grows up being a very depressed person? And what if Chastity ends up not being a very chaste person?

I do think that the standard ones are fine, like Faith, Hope, Joy, etc. I feel like they've been used past the point of them having much meaning when you call them out anymore. Like when I talk to a girl named Faith, I no longer think of Faith like "I have faith in you" or anything, just another name. Though Peace or Serenity would still have meaning to me. I'd say them and think of the meaning of peace and serenity, and not so much names.

Don't know if I make any sense :( But those are my thoughts on them <3

#5 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

I don't care for them, sorry! I feel like they give too much pressure on a child, adds to teasing potential. What if little Happy grows up being a very depressed person? And what if Chastity ends up not being a very chaste person?

Haha, I knew a Serenity (I still know her but I don't talk to her) and she is definitely NOT calm, or serene. Haha. She was one of the most hyped up kid I knew, and as she grew older she turned into one of those girls who loved drama.
So I know exactly what you mean Remy. :P

#6 Jay.

Jay.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Joy is my favorite name! When I think of it, I don't really think oh my favorite name is a virtue name! Nah. I do adore the name Courage <3.

#7 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

Haha, I knew a Serenity (I still know her but I don't talk to her) and she is definitely NOT calm, or serene. Haha. She was one of the most hyped up kid I knew, and as she grew older she turned into one of those girls who loved drama.
So I know exactly what you mean Remy. :P

Haha Shay! :P Thats kinda funny, and exactly what I mean lol!

Joy is my favorite name! When I think of it, I don't really think oh my favorite name is a virtue name!

And thats exactly what I meant when I said this above:

I do think that the standard ones are fine, like Faith, Hope, Joy, etc. I feel like they've been used past the point of them having much meaning when you call them out anymore. Like when I talk to a girl named Faith, I no longer think of Faith like "I have faith in you" or anything, just another name.

Joy, Faith, Hope, all those don't sound like virtue names anymore. Just another name. Not to downsize them at all, they are pretty. But they don't hold their meanings so much anymore. In the same way when you call out to someone named Cameron, you don't automatically think crooked nose. Or when you chat with Lily you don't necessarily think of the flower OR that its a nature name. Idk, just a random thought haha

#8 kassieb11

kassieb11

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Art, History, Kite-Boarding, Kites, Xbox, Video Games, Puzzles, Movies, Reading, Mythology, Animating, Anime, Animals, Names, Cooking.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

What about virtue and emotion names that never or rarely get used like:

Curious
Serene (Not really serenity but same concept i suppose)
Proud
Courage
Honor
Modest
Sublime
Patience
Tact
Thrift
Zeal

Thanks for the help so far :) we love hearing everyones opinions!

#9 Wildflowerchild

Wildflowerchild

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

I don't think some virtue names aren't too bad. I really love Amity and Mercy for a little girl. I like Harmony too, as a middle. There are a few boys' virtue/emotion names that aren't too bad as well, like Chance.

Then there are the ones that I don't think should be names at all! Such as...Loyal, Loyalty, Peace, Trinity, Verity, Reason, Pleasant, Justice, Jolly, Fidelity, Chastity, Promise, etc.

I know a girl named Heavenlee, and she is anything but! Sadly, a lot of virtue names that used to be considered really pretty (like Destiny, Serenity, Trinity, etc.) have been turned into "trashy" or "female entertainer-" type names.

#10 Jay.

Jay.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

I actually love the name Trinity, always have... not really sure why people hate it.. though I do really like it <3 And Justice <3

#11 xxThePumpkinQueenxx

xxThePumpkinQueenxx

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Interests:singing, writing, reading, psychology, science, math, forensics, children, going to church, being with my family and SEC football. War Eagle!

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

I'm more fond of Grace, Faith, Hope, Mercy, Joy, Destiny and Chance. I like Justice, but I don't think I'd ever use it. I honestly have never liked Serenity or Trinity. Most of the other virtue names just don't seem like actual names to me. So I'm 50/50 on using them I guess.

#12 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

Grace. And Hope and Faith on occasion. That's about the extent of it for me

#13 kassieb11

kassieb11

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

I also really like prosper for a boy :)

#14 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:30 AM

I'm not a huge fan of doing a virtue theme among siblings, however I adore the names True & Patience for a girl. Currently Patience is on my guilty pleasure list. As for boys names, I'm not sure if these count but I like Worth, Wisdom & Wise. Loyal is another one I sort of like but most of these will probably stay on the guilty pleasures list.

True & Patience are really the only ones I could come close to using. But if I used one, I don't think I would use the other. I wouldn't want to start a theme that would box me in on future kids names.

If the names have special meaning to you (the parents), and you (the parents) really love the names, then I don't see a problem with using more than one 'virtue' themed name. But personally I only care for a handful of them.

#15 kassieb11

kassieb11

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

Well Jeff and I really only like one specific name which happens to be a not so used name from this theme and really dont want a whole theme of virtue names so we wanted to make sure that it wouldnt be weird to have kids named from diffrent themes ect. :) So we really appreciate the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users