• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:35 PM

My best friend and I have created our own… I suppose you could say “roleplaying” universe, a private little world between us where we can flesh out our characters and keep on improving our writing skills. We’ve been at it since 2006 now, and between the two of us we have we well over a hundred characters… and needless to say I’m sometimes forgetful of names :lol:

One of my favorite characters is named Ayame -- she’s of Japanese descent, obviously, and the name means “iris” in its native tongue. The name is pronounced a-yah-may. Problem is that I just created another character named May, and the similarities between them didn’t click until I had May completely planned out.

They’d be around the same age and would pretty much be living in the same place, too. Do you guys think that their names are too similar? Ayame’s name is staying no matter what, but it wouldn’t kill me to go back and change May. I also have a character named Esme, so I might just be having an overload of the “ay” sound..

#2 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohčme each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:16 PM

Unfortunately, I do think that they're too similar especially if you've already got an Ayame, an Esme, and now a May. I'm not sure if these suggestions would "fit" her, but what about using Molly, Maggie, or Mina (min like in minute - "I'll be there in a minute, hon." not mee-nah).

#3 Danni

Danni

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:I love reading...Romance and fantasy novels mostly, though I do get into some other genres every now and then. I also LOVE music...Mainly older music, but some newer stuff, also. I LOVE the Beatles! They are the greatest! lol. I also love to just drive around in my car...And shopping! When Ihave money, I LOVE to shop!

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:16 PM

I think May and Ayame are too similar sounding to go with it. It's pretty, though. If you like May, you could name her Mayella and have her go by the nickname Ella. If not, I'm sure you can come up with something else.

#4 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:More than anything else in the world I love being with my family, which includes my amazing husband and our three gorgeous daughters. We are currently expecting number four, and are so excited! I am of course a mother first, but I am a writer second. I am a nut about names and etymology in general. I love reading; I’m a sucker for both the more modern fantasy books, like Harry Potter, and the also classics, like Shakespeare. Music is another thing that I could’ve live without, and I have to say my tastes definitely lean towards modern rock: Nickelback, Hinder, Papa Roach, and Theory of a Deadman are my very favorites. Not too big on television, but I couldn’t live without Lost. I also love cars (and driving them!), and I am the proud “mommy” of a Ford Mustang. I’m also pretty big on talking and I like to see myself as friendly, so I hope to see you around the boards!

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:56 PM

Thanks gals, I was afraid I'd pulled a stupid and it looks like I was right :lol: I actually do kind of like the ring of Maggie, it goes with her last name pretty well. I'll think on it :D Again, thanks so much! You two are the best :P

#5 Danni

Danni

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:I love reading...Romance and fantasy novels mostly, though I do get into some other genres every now and then. I also LOVE music...Mainly older music, but some newer stuff, also. I LOVE the Beatles! They are the greatest! lol. I also love to just drive around in my car...And shopping! When Ihave money, I LOVE to shop!

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:07 PM

I agree that Maggie is cute! Love it!!

#6 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohčme each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

Glad to be of help! :lol:

#7 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:38 AM

Just thought you guys should know I just redid her character profile, and her name is now Maggie May Clarke :lol:

#8 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:51 AM

Maggie May Clarke is a great name!

#9 Danni

Danni

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

Love it!! Awesome choice!

#10 Charity

Charity

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 706 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

Thanks gals! Couldn't have done it without your help :lol:

#11 Danni

Danni

Superstar Baby Namer

• Charter Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:32 PM

That's what we're here for, isn't it?!

#12 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

i just came across this topic, and that is just an awesome name! maggie may clarke, i know the topic has long gone or whatever, but i cna't get over what a great ring that has, just saying :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users