Photo

Too popular?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Leave 'em or Keep 'em? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Abigail Sophia

1. Leave (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. Keep (9 votes [81.82%])

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

3. Leave just first name (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Leave just middle name (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Amelia Skye

1. Leave (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. Keep (6 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Leave just first name (2 votes [16.67%])

4. Leave just middle name (2 votes [16.67%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 VAB

VAB

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:38 PM

Hey guys, I'm not pregnant or trying right now but I do have names picked out for the future. Over a year ago me and my boyfriend found 2 girl names that we love but unfortunately they are very popular now. We're 18 almost 19 and don't plan on trying until possibly 24 when we hope to be financially stable, in our own home and done with our AA degree working on our bachelors. Well if you could just give your advice on whether we should keep or leave them let us know please.

Amelia Skye
Mia

Abigail Sophia
Abby

We also have two boy names picked out that I don't think are very common. Likes and dislikes are welcome but please say why. I'll also mention the last boy name has the specific middle name because my boyfriend loves it and we plan on either vacationing or honeymooning there. Thank you =)

Kenneth James III
Kenny

Leonidas Zanzibar
Leo

Last name is Rebello.

#2 Starlight

Starlight

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:33 AM

I just replied to your other topic and commented on each name
I LOVE both sets of girls names and I dont think that popularity matters.. as long as you and your boyfriend love the names then thats all that matters.
Amelia Skye, btw... is b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l.

#3 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

I mentioned this before not that long ago... but people make such a big deal about popularity sometimes, when honestly, its not that big of a deal. So who cares if Abby has two or three other Abby's in her class? Who cares if Mia ends up with three friends named Amelia? Chances are one Amelia just may like to stick with her whole first name, while one of the others likes Amy, and yet another likes Lia. Or even Mel! And Abigails may also be called Gail. But that doesn't even matter. Because what truly matters is that you love the name that you chose for your child and go with it. I mean, if you wanted to name your daughter Lobstuh-Tayle Sooop I would most definitely be like NOOO. More accurately I'd strongly discourage it. But, you have chosen some absolutely beautiful, gorgeous names. And you love them <3 So don't let popularity ruin that for you! I mean, I am considering not using Liam Alexander when I have kids if its still so popular, however I also have a name I equally love that makes it not matter to me if Liam isn't used. Because I adore the name Eli Christopher. Which isn't that much less popular, but more in my comfort zone of popularity. Or I might even use Chase Nikolai, or whatever I decide I love.

Lol, there's a small vent for you! :P But yeah. Abigail Sophia is gorgeous, Sophia is in my top 5 names list! Use it if you love it, and I'm sure little Abby will love her name. Same for Amelia Skye! I personally prefer Amelie to Amelia, but both are absolutely beautiful! And any child can thank their mummy for such a lovely name :)

I hope this helps! :)

#4 VAB

VAB

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

Thank you Hayden =)
It matters to me because I went to school being the only Victoria and I loved it but as soon as I hit high school I was one of at least 4 in each class. It was horrible! I lost my individuality with the teacher because I was Tori B. ugh! It also gets really annoying when your classmates are whispering Tori and we all turn to look than they have to say or not you this Tori. That would kinda hurt. I just don't want my kids to go through that. I'm not sure if people in my town have started using these names btw so I'm going to go look into that. I hope not lol

How do you pronounce Amelie?

I guess another question I have is do you guys think the popularity of these names will go down in 6 or 7 years?

#5 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

Well, if its important to you, then you can always go on a grand search for another perfect name, or come up with a unique nick name for the name or at least a less used one. Like Gail/Gayle for Abigail and Amy, Mel, Lia, etc for Amelia. But I know, cause my real first name is fairly popular. Like, not super popular as Ashley or Brittany or Nicole or anything, just popular enough that I always shared a name with at least something. And everyone, litteraly everyone, always knew me as [insert first name] [insert last name]. I guess as an example I can use Remy Hadley, though it isn't my birth certificate name [yet :) ]. I was always "Remy Hadley", or I was "Hadley's little sister" [everyone in school called my older brother by our last name]. So I litterally had no indivisuality through my name haha. But, the popularity thing and not having my own name didn't bother me that much. Because I love the names Kate, Sophia, Isabel, etc. Which are all madly popular, so if I have a baby, I will use them if I feel its the name. Though Sophia and Isabel I prefer as middle names anyways lol.

Amelie I always pronounced Ah-muh-lee. With the stress on the first syllable :)

Well, traditional names always seem to top the name lists, so they may lower, but I doubt by much [I hope not anyways, because the alternitive may not be better haha]. But certain names, like Michael, James, Elizabeth, etc, just always seem to remain fairly popular. You also have to remember that these names do end up as middle names many times, which probably effects the popularty by A LOT! Plus, do check out how your particular neighborhood and all is popular with names and all. Because I know that just because a name is popular, doesn't mean EVERYWHERE has this name popular, just certain parts of the states many times. I know NameBerry has a thinger that you can search a name and it'll show where the name is/isn't popular :)

#6 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:45 PM

im not sure if this will help you much, im a brittany of 1988, and its only just died down in popularity in the last 5 yrs, it has gone strong for a long time. are your from the states? because in aus i think those names are fairly mainstream, ie my friends babba boy cooper has 2 coopers in his 4yr old kindy class, he has 2 abby's no amelias though. oh and i like amelie too. there is a web site if u are in the states babynamewizard- click on name mapper and enter the name/year it will show you the states where that name is popular or use to be and when it peaked. hope this helps. i am so glad i was out before the britney obsessions and went through primary and high school with no other britt's only in after school activities and i was known as big brittany (i was fairly tall as a child) and the other was little brittany (she was sooo short) and at softball i was britt the other girl was b.j as her last name was jones so it was hard always havign a different nickname but im sure its noting like the 5 brittany's that were in yr 6 as i was graduating. on another note i do like your names i perfer amelia to abigail personally

#7 VAB

VAB

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:25 PM

Well, if its important to you, then you can always go on a grand search for another perfect name, or come up with a unique nick name for the name or at least a less used one. Like Gail/Gayle for Abigail and Amy, Mel, Lia, etc for Amelia. But I know, cause my real first name is fairly popular. Like, not super popular as Ashley or Brittany or Nicole or anything, just popular enough that I always shared a name with at least something. And everyone, litteraly everyone, always knew me as [insert first name] [insert last name]. I guess as an example I can use Remy Hadley, though it isn't my birth certificate name [yet :) ]. I was always "Remy Hadley", or I was "Hadley's little sister" [everyone in school called my older brother by our last name]. So I litterally had no indivisuality through my name haha. But, the popularity thing and not having my own name didn't bother me that much. Because I love the names Kate, Sophia, Isabel, etc. Which are all madly popular, so if I have a baby, I will use them if I feel its the name. Though Sophia and Isabel I prefer as middle names anyways lol.

Amelie I always pronounced Ah-muh-lee. With the stress on the first syllable :)

Well, traditional names always seem to top the name lists, so they may lower, but I doubt by much [I hope not anyways, because the alternitive may not be better haha]. But certain names, like Michael, James, Elizabeth, etc, just always seem to remain fairly popular. You also have to remember that these names do end up as middle names many times, which probably effects the popularty by A LOT! Plus, do check out how your particular neighborhood and all is popular with names and all. Because I know that just because a name is popular, doesn't mean EVERYWHERE has this name popular, just certain parts of the states many times. I know NameBerry has a thinger that you can search a name and it'll show where the name is/isn't popular :)

Thank you for the suggestions on nicknames but I would only use Abby and Mia. I don't really like Amelie it's just too weird to say lol like I would need to practice it. I'm definitely going to use the Nameberry! I tried to google something that would tell me by area but nothing came up.

#8 VAB

VAB

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

im not sure if this will help you much, im a brittany of 1988, and its only just died down in popularity in the last 5 yrs, it has gone strong for a long time. are your from the states? because in aus i think those names are fairly mainstream, ie my friends babba boy cooper has 2 coopers in his 4yr old kindy class, he has 2 abby's no amelias though. oh and i like amelie too. there is a web site if u are in the states babynamewizard- click on name mapper and enter the name/year it will show you the states where that name is popular or use to be and when it peaked. hope this helps. i am so glad i was out before the britney obsessions and went through primary and high school with no other britt's only in after school activities and i was known as big brittany (i was fairly tall as a child) and the other was little brittany (she was sooo short) and at softball i was britt the other girl was b.j as her last name was jones so it was hard always havign a different nickname but im sure its noting like the 5 brittany's that were in yr 6 as i was graduating. on another note i do like your names i perfer amelia to abigail personally

Thank you. I'm going to use both NameBerry and babynamewizard! Yes, I do live in the states lol. My boyfriend also likes the name Amelia a little better than Abigail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users