Photo

What do you think of the MN?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: ~ Which MN and which combo? ~ (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Which combination do you like best?

1. Jan/ Ian Thadeus (5 votes [29.41%])

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

2. Franklin Thadeus (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Thadeus Franklin (5 votes [29.41%])

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

4. Paul Thadeus (1 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

5. Thadeus Paul (6 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Anny

Anny

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

So, my bf and I actually agree on a boy name for a future son. Right now I am looking for middle names. He isn't really fond of 2 first names, but a nice flow.
So he suggested Jan Thadeus (Jan is pronounced like Ian). It is growing on me, but I am not sure about it. We both agree that Thadeus Jan doesn't sound right.
Franklin is after my dad Frank, and Paul is after his grandpa. I would like to honor a family member, but it is not a must.
No matter what combo, we would call him Thadeus or by a NN, and every combo sounds great in German and in English. So the only question is the flow, and what to put on our favorite list.

#2 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

I knew a Thaddeus, called him Tad :) i much prefer the original spelling Thaddeus rather than one D Thadeus <3

I have really been loving Franklin lately!! So handsome! I watched a movie with this really hot guy named Franklin and ever since I've been in love haha :)

Im only not a fan for Jan because I feel like people will get really confused. Even if its legitimate people will see it as Jan like the nick name for Janet rather than Ian :( it'd make a nice middle name though!

If your planning to call him Thadeus no matter what, I'd most definitely make his first name Thadeus. I always found it silly that, except for special cases, people give their child a first name they dont plan to call him/her by. (special cases being, example, if Gordon was a family tradition to use as the FN on your boy, but there are so many Gordons its comfusing, naming him Gordon Isaac with the intention of calling him Isaac is cool. Everyone would understand.). I voted Thadues Franklin cause I really love both names, love how it'll honor family, flows nicely, and has Thadeus in first place :) seems like a win-win combo to me! <3 though Thadeus Paul would be in second for me :)

I hope this helps!

#3 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

I agree with Remy on the Jan/Ian thing and with the spelling of Thaddeus. Jan would be mistaken for a J- sound rather than the E- sound of the traditional version. That being said, all the names are nice but I love Thaddeus Paul! Using both Franklin and Thaddeus makes it a little to old fashioned to me and while Ian is one of my favorite names, I can't really it see it going with Thaddeus. Though depending on the surname, they may actually work very well :P

#4 Anny

Anny

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:30 AM

Thank you, ladies,

well, in German Jan = Ian in pronouncation. I would probably go with Ian as well, because it is in international name which is pronounced differently in different countries. But still, not sure about it. I am aware that names are pronounced differently in German and English. So that isn't a big deal to me, as long as it sounds good in both languages.
I think my bf kinda wants to start a theme for boy names. His nephew is also called by his middle name. I would be okay with that as long as it flows great. And Ian Thadeus does flow great in German.
Thadeus Franklin is on my list. But I would like to honor his grandpa, more than honoring my dad. So that makes Thadeus Paul/ Paul Thadeus my favorite. I still have to convince him.
I don't know why but I always thought that Thaddeus is spelled Thadeus after hearing the name without seeing the spelling. And it stuck, Thaddeus doesn't look right to me. And my bf agrees with me: "Please, with one d" :D ... Probably the same as Matthias and Mathias, which became popular a couple of decades ago, and as Isabel/ Isabell/ Isabelle and Isobel, and other names...

Do you have other middle name suggestions for Thadeus?

#5 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

I would definitely pair Thadeus with a one syllable name for the best flow. Of your choices, I like Thadeus Paul. Thadeus is more uncommon, whereas Paul is very traditional and balances the name out. If I were you, I would pick Thadeus as a first name, especially if that's what you want your son to go by. In my opinion, it's very confusing when a kid goes by his / her middle name.

Other middle name suggestions:

Thadeus Clark
Thadeus Grey
Thadeus John
Thadeus Cole
Thadeus Graham
Thadeus Grant
Thadeus Drew
Thadeus Mark
Thadeus Wade
Thadeus Beau
Thadeus George
Thadeus Neil

Good luck!

#6 Mika Casey

Mika Casey

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

I love Thadeus Paul, I think it has a fabulous flow!

Thadeus Franklin is my second favorite. :wub:

I agree that I like the spelling Thaddeus better. ;)

#7 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

I really like Ian/Jan Thadeus... I think Thadeus is cute, Thad is a great nickname possibility.

#8 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

Ian Thadeus :) It has the nicest flow in my opinion.

#9 Anny

Anny

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

I think my bf got me with Ian Thadeus. It grew on me. And I told him that I prefer the spelling Ian because Jan can be confused as a girl in English, and that bothers me. I think he is okay with that. I said that he chose the name, so I can choose the spelling (I would say that this is compromising :D )

and FYI: It doesn't bother me to call my child by his middle name. In Germany we only say first name, even for middle names. We do make the difference by saying "calling name" (the word by word translation), so it doesn't really matter what name to use for addressing the child. My mom is also called by her 2nd first name instead of her 1st first name. I hope that made sense.

#10 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

Ian Thadeus is very handsome! <3 Jan could be nice, but best left in the middle name slot. So I definitely like Ian if its used as a first name. Honestly, I do think Thadeus Ian would sound very nice. When I say it out loud I like it a lot <3 But, its all a matter of if you think it flows :)

Mm, there is no real problem with doing so intentionally. I just think its easier. Like among the family its easy any way because you introduce them and thats it. I just think in school and among friends and whatever it'll be a little different. Not necessarily hard, but not as easy. Or at least my personal experience with it is the people in school all ended up calling me by my first name anyways.

Maybe I'm just simple and go by the "name your child what you plan to call him/her" method lol :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users