• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BoyJune09

BoyJune09

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:07 PM

I'm due in June 09 with our first baby - a boy. We have a very long Italian last name and my husband is of Italian descent (I'm not) but I like the idea of an Italian-sounding first name. We have decided on Richard as a middle name because it's an important family name, but we are having trouble picking a first name. My husband really has his heart set on naming the baby Vito. What do you think? Some friends/family have told me they thought it sounded cheezy-Italian or (because of the Godfather movies) like someone untrustworthy or in the mafia. I was looking through name books and came on the name Marco, which is Italian but much milder. I don't like/can't use because of uncles/cousins Anthony, Michael, or Dominic. Also, because our last name is 4 syllables long, we'd like to keep it to a shorter first name. I need opinions on:
Vito Richard
Marco Richard
other ideas???

#2 Sprinkles

Sprinkles

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:49 PM

I like Vito Richard and Marco Richard. Here are some other ones I think are nice:

Matteo
Sergio
Dante
Angelo
Nico
Leo
Enzo
Arturo

Good luck and congrats on your baby boy!

#3 Lula Rose

Lula Rose

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

I like Marco, very masculine and serious. Not a fan of Vito at all. I love Enzo for a boy, its short for Lorenzo and Dante if its not too dramatic for you.
Good luck, Lula.

#4 Momo Cicerone

Momo Cicerone

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Interests:-Manga/Anime
    -Reality shows
    -Fanfiction (ages ago)
    -Books (Science fiction, Romance, Fantasy, Poetry, Adventure, Suspense, etc)
    -Shopping (shoes -watched too much Sex & the City)
    -Movies (and popcorn)
    -Surfing the internet
    -Video games (ages ago)
    -Dogs (Have an Alaskan Malamute named Zoe)
    -Karaoke (could stay all night long)
    -Drawing (ages ago, already lost my touch)

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:37 AM

Enzo from the previous post is great! I vote for it! GL!

#5 BoyJune09

BoyJune09

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:54 AM

I can't do Leo, Anthony, Matteo, Antonio, Vincenzo, or Giovanni because of cousins that have those names. I like Lorenzo and Enzo, too, but the cousin named Vincenzo is called Cenzo for short so Enzo would be too similar. I like Nico (even as short for Niccolo) but my husband thinks it sounds Greek. On the non-Italian side, I like Nicholas, but I would rather not give him a super-popular name (it's in the top 10 in popularity right now). Thanks for the suggestions! Now if I can only convince daddy-to-be that Vito is not the right choice!

#6 Dawn

Dawn

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:12 AM

What about Nikolai, nn Nico?

#7 Jessica J

Jessica J

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Worship, singing, writing songs, being with friends and loved ones, reading, and watching movies.

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:05 AM

Like Marco and Mossimo :D

#8 Heather Leigh

Heather Leigh

Superstar Baby Namer

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:03 AM

I think Marco is a great name, but I agree with your relatives that Vito is pretty cheesy.

#9 Listlia

Listlia

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Lots and lots of things!

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

Vito has a great Italian meaning behind it: Victor but it also has a strong Spanish meaning: Vital.
However, if you personally aren't fond of Vito try looking for Italian names that still begin with a "V" like Valente, Vittorio (your man can still call him Vito if he likes), Vitale, or Valerio.
If you really like Nicholas then go for an Italianized version - Nicolo or Nicoli.
Maybe try something that can be simplified like Martinus (Matry or Martin), Luca (Luke or Lou), Arrigo (ok I can't think of a shorter version of this one but it's a good name :)) Maximo (Max), Ludo (Lu), Emiliano (Lien or Lano), Giomar (Omar), Marcell with or with out and "o" at the end (Marc and you can still call him Marco if you like), Cosimo (Imo like at the beginning of Imogene or even Simon), or Franco (Frank or Frankie) etc.

All of these names will flow with Richard at the very least, but since I don't know your 4 syllable last name I can't say if they all go together.
There, you have some very Italian names that aren't Anthony, Michael, Dominic, Leo, Matteo, Antonio, Vincenzo, or Giovanni! :D
I hope you can find something you and your husband both fall in love with! :)

#10 carlyscissorhands77

carlyscissorhands77

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Doing hair and chilling out at home with my boyfriend. I have 5 nieces and 1 nephew that im with a lot too ... i like to hang out with my family :O) i love spring and fall so i am happy right now because its finally getting nice out! Me and my boyfriend have been together for 8 years so we are really excited about this baby :O)

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

I like Vito and Marco

heres some more and i apologize if a few of these are the ones you said you cant use... :D .. Adrian, Dante, Rocco, Arlo, Sal, Nico, Tino, Leonardo, Lukah

#11 Filly

Filly

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

I love Marco Richard, it's a wonderful name. Marco as a mn is on my own list! I would go with that, but if you still want/need other suggestions:

Lando
Martino
Gavino
Santino
Paolo
Pietro
Carlo
Sandro

Orrrrr, you could name him Ricardo/Riccardo and still be able to honor all the Richards in your family...and then have a different mn. That would be kind of neat I think. Oh, and I totally agree that Vito is cheesy, besides being stereotypical. That said, Vito is fun to say!

#12 Momo Cicerone

Momo Cicerone

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Interests:-Manga/Anime
    -Reality shows
    -Fanfiction (ages ago)
    -Books (Science fiction, Romance, Fantasy, Poetry, Adventure, Suspense, etc)
    -Shopping (shoes -watched too much Sex & the City)
    -Movies (and popcorn)
    -Surfing the internet
    -Video games (ages ago)
    -Dogs (Have an Alaskan Malamute named Zoe)
    -Karaoke (could stay all night long)
    -Drawing (ages ago, already lost my touch)

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

Valentino, perhaps?

#13 D3sire

D3sire

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:37 PM

I MUCH prefer Marco. I get the cheesy-mobster vibe from Vito too. Have you considered Luca and Dante?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users