7 replies to this topic

#1 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

1. So, we decided on the name Cadence for a little girl. And my stepmother mentioned that Cadence and our last name were too similar in meaning. (I won't reveal our last name but it is a verb. LOL) There is a similarity in the fact that both involve movement of some sort. Cadence meaning rhythm or flow (musical) and our last name being a physical movement. Other people we talk to don't really see the correlation. Do you think that's a big deal or is my stepmom being way to analytical of the name. Plus, we love the NN Cadie.

2. We are still brainstorming nicknames. We have Cadence Lily on our list. We both thought of Cadence Michelle. Two issues with the middle name: one, Michelle is James' aunt's name. And she is a very negative person, so we don't like that association. Two, our name has a sh- sound in it and saying Cadence Michelle *insert last name*, it gets to be a tongue-twister. We like Cadence Isabel/Isobel but the initials are iffy. Generally, names ending in --elle but without the strong sh-- sound fit nicely. Unfortunately, James doesn't like Noelle. I've brought up Cadence Alexandra and Cadence Persephone as well.
(I think my husband is getting tired of all this naming talk. LOL.)

James tends to like classy, more traditional-sounding names and I like more trendy names.

#2 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:38 PM

I don't think many people are going to research or know the meaning of your last name and Cadence. I don't think that really matters too much.

I LOVE Cadence Lily, so my vote is still with that one, but Cadence Alexandra is nice too.

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

So basically your last name would be similar to Shakes...with the Sh sound and it being a verb having to do with movement...I HOPE this isnt your last name...but we can substitute Shakes.

Cadence Shakes similar meaning-wise doesnt seem that big a problem to me...considering Cadence has become more of a household name and people think of it as such rather than thinking "rhythm & movement", plus since you plan to use the nn Cadie, it would eliminate that happenstance most effectively. (I think I'm in a big word mood...)

Does James think Cadence Alexandra & Cadence Persephone are too long...:)
I still like Cadence Lily, Cadence Isobel is nice as well.

#4 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:24 PM

Katie, I don't think it's crossed his mind yet that they would be too long. Though, I'm pretty sure he won;t care if her middle name is Persephone. LOL.

#5 Auntie Megan

Auntie Megan

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:14 AM

I think your stepmother's overreacting, especially if others can't see the problem. Here are some 'Elle' names:

Cadence Danielle
Cadence Joelle
Cadence Louella
Cadence Brielle
Cadence Adele
Cadence Annabelle
Cadence Arielle
Cadence Estelle
Cadence Gabrielle
Cadence Janelle
Cadence Mirabelle

#6 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:18 PM

Ooh Elle names! :] ♥

Cadence Isobel
Cadence Estelle
Cadence Rosabel
Cadence Danielle
Cadence Mirabel
Cadence Noelle
Cadence Rochelle
Cadence Michelle
Cadence Gabrielle
Cadence Arielle
Cadence Annabel
Cadence Brielle
Cadence Giselle
Cadence Amelle
Cadence Belle
Cadence Adabel
Cadence Carmel
Cadence Jezabel
Cadence Nouvelle
Cadence Mabel
Cadence Mariel
Cadence Joelle
Cadence Arnelle
Cadence Bethel
Cadence Clarabel
Cadence Hazel
Cadence Laurel
Cadence Amabel
Cadence Raphael
Cadence Raquelle
Cadence Roselle
Cadence Sabelle

That was all I could find :]

My favourites ♥; Cadence Isobel, Cadence Estelle, Cadence Noelle, Cadence Nouvelle.

Though I love Cadence Lily.

#7 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:45 PM

I like Cadence Isobel and Cadence Noelle. James doesn't like Noelle. He considers it an 'old' lady name. If we went with Isobal, her initials would be CIS. (We will just go with Shakes as our last name. LOL) Not too bad but it could cause a problem later.

Most of the people we've told that we chose the name Cadence like the name. My stepmom and mother-in-law are the only ones who have a slight issue with the name. My stepmom, as I said, thinks it's too close to our last name. My mother-in-law thinks it's too close to Candice. Candice = the NN Candy, which is James' ex name. (Spelt Kandy though.)

But, we love it anyway. And, so far, I think Cadence Lily is at the top of our list. James hasn't offered much input on the middle name.

#8 Karissa

Karissa

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:29 PM

I would't worry too much about first name and last name having similar meanings being a girl chances are she will grow up get married and have a new last name which she will probably have longer than her birth last name.

What about Cadence Rose?

Hope this helps good luck

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users