#1 bebeeg

bebeeg

Administrator

• Community Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:06 PM

What makes a bad FULL baby name?

Can a name really be bad? Or is it just a matter of opinion?
Are there some absolute rules behind what makes a bad name?
How do you grade a baby name?
Let's try and get beyond... initials that spell things or names that say something strange or bad when combined and read quickly.

Can't think of what makes a bad name? Try responding to the post about what makes a good name :)

This is intended as an ongoing question. As you discover new things about this, come back and post. Also post your theories for others to confirm or debunk!

#2 MellyMade

MellyMade

Star Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Names (of course), animals, books, music, quirky things from thrift stores, soft serve/frozen yogurt.

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:29 AM

What makes a bad FULL baby name?

Can a name really be bad? Or is it just a matter of opinion?
Are there some absolute rules behind what makes a bad name?
How do you grade a baby name?
Let's try and get beyond... initials that spell things or names that say something strange or bad when combined and read quickly.

Can't think of what makes a bad name? Try responding to the post about what makes a good name :)

This is intended as an ongoing question. As you discover new things about this, come back and post. Also post your theories for others to confirm or debunk!

Good and bad are only matters of opinion :) I doubt there is any one name that everyone can agree on as being "good" or "bad" or pleasant/unpleasant. (Although when people post names like Shaniqquyahah Vakezielle on the polls, it seems like we all band together in solidarity against the name, haha.)

Most names that are considered "bad" are out of favor usually because of a bad association -- for instance, Paris (Hilton) Bertha (usually associated as a nickname for overweight women, i.e. Big Butt Bertha) or have a sound that is unpleasing to people at the time (Eunice, Beulah).

I have more thoughts swirling around in my noggin, but I'll have to come back to this later (at work right now).

#3 Hannah

Hannah

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Interests:I love writing, reading, sports of any kind(my favorites being basketball & soccer), music, and hanging out with my friends and family.

AND, I of course love thinking of baby names even though that is a VERY far in the future thing for me because I'm still young!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

What makes a bad full name? Well, let's see. I would have to say bad initials are a start (e.g. Franklin Alec Thompson [FAT] or Hayley Amanda Gray [HAG] and other such ones that make you think of inappropriate things. Like one of my good friends is Brittany Jade and her initials [BJ] often get pointed out for the obvious reasons.) Other things are names that sound like you're trying to tell someone to do something to their last name (e.g. Chase Michaels.) And some names just give people the wrong idea. I'm not trying to be rude or intolerant, but I've asked around and people said names that sound like they were thrown across a scrabble board and then jotted down give them the impression of someone who isn't well schooled or something of the sort. (e.g. Rolonda, Neveah, DayJohn, other such names.) Another thing I realized is number names. I've met a couple Seven's and one girl names Two (her middle name was Morrow, and I'm pretty sure a celebrity did that as well?)

I also think day names are bad. Sunday, Wednesday, Monday are all people I've met and not one of them have liked there name. I also think that when a name is associated with someone or something that is a bad thing, people will assume things about that person. (e.g. Paris reminds most people of Paris Hilton, Adolf reminds people of Adolf Hitler) and sometimes, it can be associated with something people just won't let go. For example I LOVE the name Lucy, but so many people bring up "I Love Lucy" and I can't get away from the name Ginny, but everyone I know thinks of Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter. Like I said, some of these aren't bad, but I'd fear for a child who would constantly hear that.

I know this is so long and all, but I do believe that a name isn't "bad" unless you take the time to think so, so yes, to me it is a matter of opinion.

#4 Dominique

Dominique

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

I think that 99% of it is all a matter of opinion as to whether a name is good or bad and thats why I think that while these sites are very fun, you should always stick with what you love the most, not what other people tell you works best with your last name or anything. However if parents go off the deep end and name their kid crued things then obviously thats a bad name and just wrong. Just like this women at my Ma's office who named her daughter Desire Cox. Now come on you didnt think that would sound perverted at all and just wrong to give your child? My ma at first thought her name was said Dez-err-ray but the mother loudly corrected her in front of everyone and said her name is Desire. How embaressing for your kid right?

#5 -TebowTime-

-TebowTime-

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

I can only think of one at the moment:

Paynen Diaz (Pain in the a**) Though I adore the name, I could never name my kid this.

#6 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

I can only think of one at the moment:

Paynen Diaz (Pain in the a**) Though I adore the name, I could never name my kid this.

Lol, I always thought this would be such a funny name when I was younger... and this is why children don't have children ;) lol!

But most names aren't necessarily BAD. I think most names are just a matter of opinion. However, I personally feel that a name that puts a child out there for teasing, is discriminating, or anything of those sorts, then it definitely is a bad name!

Such as when you look up names that were banned by law to name your children [ie sexfruit, Anus, etc] are all names that are completely unfair for an innocent child to live with. It's asking for your child to be made fun of, which can cause psychological issues. And being friendless and made fun of is definitely a miserable existence. Everyone has the right for the name they carry to not bring them down so early in life! :wub:

Otherwise.. there really aren't BAD names. I grade my opinions of names sometimes, like this is good, awesome, or LOVE IT!! [or dislike, or greatly dislike..]. But I don't think the name is really bad, I just don't care for it!

And certain initials are less fortunate than others. But I don't worry quite as much about initials as I do the name itself. Its easy to hide a middle name, and if you decide not to announce your initials its fine. Of course, if it spelled out one of those four letter words I'd definitely find it bad. But most swears and derogatory words aren't three letters, which is what most people have for initials. Few have four, but more than that... Yeah.

As for what makes a good name-- many things!!! :wub: I think meaningful names are absolutely wonderful! Honoring that family member, literary character, best friend, etc! <3 I personally think its neat when you can look at your name and think back to a wonderful person that you got it from.

I also think if the mum and dad are truly in love with the name, it makes it amazing! Because there's nothing more amazing then finding that perfect name for your little bubby! <3 Something you can picture it growing up with for the rest of its life, and calling it by every day <3

Thats what I currently think. But we'll have to see how that changes throughout time! ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users