• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BabysMama

BabysMama

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:31 PM

Is it possible? Is there a way or any steps that you can take to avoid your child having their name shortened? My parents somehow made it work with me. My name is Jennifer and throughout my entire life, I have never been a Jen or Jenny. How do I go about avoiding a nickname for my child when I prefer them to be called their full name?

#2 Smile

Smile

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:07 PM

It is possible but it is hard. You really need to be persistent in correcting people I think. Once you settle into an environment ith the same family the same friends and the same colleagues, I don't think it will be hard, especially when you introduce yourself as your full name and not a nickname. Sometimes however, a child may actually want to go by their nickname. It may not last long, but it may happen. Sometimes I also think the shorter names thebetter. Even people I know with two syllable names have sometimes or another whether in quick talk, their names have quickly been abbreviated. I'm not sure I would call it a nickname exactly, but it's pretty close to one. I think if you get into the habit of using the full name, things will go much easier. ALso, you can pick a name you love that has nicknames you don't l'ke. It may not seem like the most pleasant situation, but at least you won't want to call your child by any nickname.. I don't just my unclear thoughts. It's late, ahha what can i say. I think it can be avoided, but it will take effort.

#3 amandagayle151

amandagayle151

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:09 AM

Well, I've *kindof* been successful at this. You see, my dad HATES the name/nickname Mandy, so the only way he would agree to name me Amanda is if *NOBODY* called me Mandy, ever. Nobody ever has. I've always been Amanda, or Manda to a select few of my closest friends. I also go by Skip, which comes from my last name, but have never ever been called Mandy.

I think it's possible, but you just have to be persistent :)

#4 destiny

destiny

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

All you have to do is correct people for awhile. I have a nephew named Matthew.
He has always been Matthew. However.. the biggest challenge comes from your childs friends especially when
they hit preteen ages. Alot of times the friends shorten the names. If your child likes it or doesn't correct it then
in the school/Friend environment your child will have a nick or shortened name and there wont be a whole lot
you can do about it there. But I know of alot of people who use full names. The other alternative would be to
pick a name that doesn't have much Nickname possibility like Erin, Kaye, Lisa, Ava, Eve, Eden, Joy, Reagan,
Taylor, etc.. .. ..

#5 scarlet520

scarlet520

Expert Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:I LOVE reading. I'm into almost every genre and generally read a book a week, if possible. I like Iris Johansen, Karen Marie Moning, Stephen King, James Patterson, Jane Austen, Charlotte Brontë, Diana Gabaldon, Kathy Reichs, and Robert Burns (every Scot's favorite author). I really love music and even got accepted to the Mason Gross School of Performing Arts at Rutgers University (my alma mater) for vocal performance. Unfortunately performance life was not for me, so I went into English Lit and French instead. Music is still a big part of my life, and I like a multitude of musical genres from Reggae to Rock to Opera. I've seen Carmen and La bohème each twice. (And I cry every time.) My husband and I also have a special place in our hearts for The Beatles.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

It's possible, but you have to tell everyone ahead of time that the nickname or nicknames would not be tolerated.
I have a friend, Dawne, who's son is Nicolas. Just Nicolas, he's not a Nick, Nico, or Cole. When he was born, Dawne told everyone that he was only to be called Nicolas. And everyone has complied. He's only 3, and not yet gone to school, so this might change in the future. He might choose to use a nickname.
I know that if this baby ends up being a boy, Brian and I are seriusly considering the name Henry. I can't stand the nickname Hank (so he'll never be called that), but Harry would be an OK nickname to me.

#6 Guest_bellasbellas_*

Guest_bellasbellas_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:42 AM

Always be sure to call the baby by their full name at all times and everyone will follow that pattern. I've also been afraid of that happening if I named my future child "Joshua" because I'm not a fan of "Josh".

Is it possible? Is there a way or any steps that you can take to avoid your child having their name shortened? My parents somehow made it work with me. My name is Jennifer and throughout my entire life, I have never been a Jen or Jenny. How do I go about avoiding a nickname for my child when I prefer them to be called their full name?

#7 Liz

Liz

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:25 PM

It is possible, as long as you are willing to politely correct people who try to shorten the name.

However, when your child is old enough to decide for himself/herself, he/she may decide they prefer to be called by a nickname, and there's not much you can do about that.

If you absolutely can't stand a nickname, I wouldn't use the longer name. If you just prefer the full version, then fine, as long as you're okay with your child using the nickname at some point if they so desire.

#8 Alexis!

Alexis!

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,614 posts
  • Interests:Bones
    Mysteries
    Baking
    Photography
    Science
    Writing
    Reading

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:10 PM

I do think it's very possible. Correct people if they use a nickname and eventually they'll stop.

I wasn't lucky in that though. I actually prefer Lexii to Alexis. Plus, my aunts all call me Goobie. Everyone has a crazy nickname in my family. My sister, Amanda, is Kramer, my mom, Tammy, is Kit. They're hard to avoid in my family, but only cause I like my nicknames.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users