7 replies to this topic

#1 Airuis

Airuis

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:21 PM

Hello,

My wife and I both think Remington is a good boy's name, but we get weird looks every time we tell somebody else about it. I also think that Remy would be a cool and convenient nickname. His full name, as it stands now, would be Remington Andrew Harding. What do you all think? The genie even suggested Remington on the fourth try, so it can't be that bad!

Thanks!

#2 duckzgoquack87

duckzgoquack87

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:13 AM

Haha! I think Remington is a wonderful choice--different, but wonderful. It's not something you here every day and keeping the middle name a little more classic balances nicely. I love the NN idea, Remy. :)

Although . . . Remington, Remington, hmmm. It does make me think of the razor brand for men. But you could probably come up with a little side note/story for any name these days.

#3 ag79

ag79

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:32 PM

Ok I'm glad you brought this name up! I adore Remington. Specifically because of the nickname Remy. My partner is soooooo against the name. :) He associates it with the Remington Rifle. He thinks that every time our child tells someone his name he will get a "Oh, like the gun?" response. I don't necessarily agree and don't think that EVERYONE is as versed on guns. I really like this name and I'd say if you want to use it you should! Remington is a strong name and Remy as a nickname seems so mellow and laid back. A great combination if you ask me! Wish i could talk my partner into loving it as much as I do..

#4 Airuis

Airuis

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:02 PM

Yeah, the association of the name Remington with various consumer products (especially guns) has given us pause. We're definitely not gun enthusiasts, but that's what people seem to assume when they hear the name.

I originally proposed Remington to my wife somewhat jokingly, because I thought it was hyper-masculine...I think I actually said something like Remington Hercules. But the name really started to grow on my wife, and me as well. So here we are, us liking the name and almost all of our friends and family poo-pooing it. :)

#5 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:35 PM

First thing that comes to mind would be guns...
Type writer...
& Remington Steele (old tv show)

Remy is a very cute nn. I especially like it for a girl but I think it would be great for a boy as well.

If you decide to name your son Remington, then once people get to know him, he will be what they think of first when they hear the name. So I wouldn't worry so much about the cultural references.

On the other hand. Do you think that Remington Harding is a bit awkward since both names have the -ing. But if you plan to call him Remy then it might not present too much of a problem.

On the whole I think Remington Andrew Harding, "Remy" Harding is a nice name.

#6 ag79

ag79

Junior Baby Namer

• Bronze Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:29 PM

Airuis, haha, you are too funny!
I can relate.. my partner pretty much pooed all over the name too. He associates pretty much EVERY name I suggest to SOMETHING.
GrrrRR. so frustrating!
But here's the thing, if your wife likes it and you like it and it's not too outlandish of a name (which it certainly is not) then why not?
What will more-than-likely happen is this: the name will grow on people. They will get to know your son, and associate it only to your son. I'm one of those people who believe names are "pre-determined". So if there's a little something inside you guys telling you this may be the name, then go with it. Everyone else will just have to deal with it. I actually don't suggest you even mention the names you are thinking about with anyone other than your partner..just because people's reactions should never affect your own opinion. And lets face it, it does tend to, inevitably, at times.
If you like the nickname Remy you could always throw around Remedius? Remedy? Jeremiah? All names with the n/n Remy.

#7 RemiTrace

RemiTrace

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

My name's Remington! Everyone calls me Remi.

#8 Marnie

Marnie

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

I work with a man called Remington - he gets called Rem which is a pretty cool nn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users