• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kassieb11

kassieb11

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Art, History, Kite-Boarding, Kites, Xbox, Video Games, Puzzles, Movies, Reading, Mythology, Animating, Anime, Animals, Names, Cooking.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

Because of Jeff's last name and a quirk I have, I set down rules for picking kids names and was wondering if anyone had to do the same thing, for example:

Because of Jeff's last name:
No B names (actually Jeff's Rule)
No names ending in S
No names with B in the middle
No names like Ryder as in his last name starts with Bull so the kids name would end up sounding like Ride-a-Bull, or Killian Kill-in-a-Bull

My Quirk:
No double letters as in all kids have to have a diffrent letter name (unless we did for example Desmond & Delilah and Orion & Ophilia thing where two sets of kids had the same letter ect.)

Do you guys also have rules as well? And if so could you share them with me? :)

#2 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

I guess I have personal rules... Me and Mike are pretty together on most of them.

1. Any name we pick will be something that WE love, whether others agree or not. Naming is going to be solely between Mike and I, and we're not going to just "settle" for any names. Thankfully, we have very similar tastes that make this easy. But neither of us are going to just agree to make the other happy. We want to have names that we adore.

2. No "creativity". Our names are going to be fairly familiar names, nothing that looks made up. And we're going to go for traditional spellings. Its not that we don't want to have a different name or one that stands out. Its just that we don't want anything that looks made up, as Neveah does (our personal opinions, no offense!). And we don't want to change spellings on a perfectly good name (no Broockelynne's). We don't mind the idea of using names that are lower on the popularity list, I know I'd prefer it! But we want our child to have a name they can easily love, little to no pronunciation issues or spelling problems. We feel changing things up just makes things a bit harder for the child.

3. No teasing potential. We want a name that if we present it to a bunch of 10 year olds they wont start snickering. Me and my best friend joke about that, its the "name test". Present a name to a bunch of 5th graders and if they start joking about the name then its a no-no. We wont have any strange initials either. It isn't horribly hard with his LN starting with an E. I don't see too much for initials that would be a problem.. but still.

4. Avoid names that have D's in them. Its not a biggie, but I personally would prefer it. His last name has a D in the second syllable that stands out, so any D name would sound clunky with it. Its not set in stone, but it is a preference.

5. When we are expecting, there will be a thorough, ongoing search for the perfect name. Mike actually stated this one, and I'm loving his style ;) I am always up for a good name search! However, Mike really stresses about having a name that the child will appreciate growing up with. He talks about how he will be called this for the rest of his life (or her, haha), so it better be a darn good name! He really does like names, and even though we're not expecting he will chat with me a little about potential names to consider. Though he's 100% that our first boy will be named Roman Connor. He even refers to our future kid like that haha, gotta love it.

6. Siblings will have to sound good together. Another that isn't set in stone, but it matters to me. I don't want the names to sound overly matchy, I just want the names to sound pleasant together. like they're meant to be. There's nothing wrong with sibling sets like Annabel and Archer. They are two distinct names, never will be necessarily confused with each other, and sound fine together. But I'd rather not have the obvious A theme, and if we happened to have a third child we'd have to settle on another A name so the last kiddo isn't out of the loop. Maybe we can find connection through the same ethnic origin, or maybe the same amount of letters, or even they all have the same meaning (ie joy, love, fire, etc).

I used some gold coloring for our golden rules haha :P I kinda posted a lot of names, but I feel like they flow into each other very well. Cause finding the perfect name would result in us using names we both love extensively, no teasing potential, and finding names that sound pleasant to the ears (ie without D's, perfect sibling sets) and pleasant to the eyes (no creative spellings). But eh, its fun writing them out! I don't really consider them rules though, because we don't have to hold ourselves to them. We kinda naturally do. Like when we picked Roman Connor, it sounds pleasant, no creative spellings and no D's, and it flows perfectly with his last name. Idk! <3

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

Since I'm not sure what sort of last name my future kiddos would have, my list is somewhat incomplete/unspecific. However I have some of the same sort of rules that you do.

1) Can't rhyme with last name. (Edith Smith or Aaron Brown). This goes for both first and middle names.
2) Can't have same initial as last name (Sally Smith or Billy Brown) First name only.
3) Can't end with the same sound as beginning of last name (Linus Smith or Caleb Brown) For both first and middle names.
2) I prefer short first names, only one or two syllables. If it is longer, 3 or more syllables, it has to have a usable nickname that I love. Some of my favorite names that are longer: Christopher, Theodore & Georgiana (to name a few) have been regulated to the middle name spot because I'm not a fan of the nickname options.
3) No K names...I can't stand K names :P

As for naming multiple kids with the same initials. I plan to have a lot of kids (I'd like 4, but at least 3) so I don't have a problem naming 2 with the same intials. Edie & Eller are two of my tops for a girl and boy, I wouldn't feel pressured to use another E name just because I already had 2.

#4 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

These are general guidelines but not rules per se.
Since Martin's last name ends in -er that excludes any names ending in -er (Archer, Spencer, Sawyer, etc), the exception to this being Summer and only as a middle name because it's an honoring name.
I try to avoid obvious themes with sibling names, like Remy said ethnic origin, # of letters or meaning are okay.
And in general the name has to sound good.
Rules are no boy names (Dylan, Logan, Ryan) on girls. Sorry to anyone who likes that. I don't. The -son names go along the same lines as boys' names. I'm not a fan.
No girl names on boys. Although "true" unisex names are okay (Avery, Riley, etc). Boys names like Ashley that have been firmly cemented as girls' names are a no (again, okay on someone else's kid, not mine).

Remy: Martin does the same thing as Mike. He's sold on Isaac Dante since that's "his" name. He'll start rambling and he'll be like "and I'm gonna do this and this with Zac someday." There's times he'll say stuff like that so casually I don't notice.

#5 kassieb11

kassieb11

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Art, History, Kite-Boarding, Kites, Xbox, Video Games, Puzzles, Movies, Reading, Mythology, Animating, Anime, Animals, Names, Cooking.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

Oh yeah i forgot about our rule against unisex names, we like it when people can tell the gender of our future kids right off the bat. Also Jeff dislikes any boy names that sound girly to him. For example Wendell because he thinks it sounds like Wendy, He was teased alot as a kid and alot of his name rules relate to that.

Yes with the whole double initial thing i brought up is because Jeff and I want a big family at least 4 kids, but we wouldnt mind 6, i know that seems like alot for some people but for us its perfect. (and symmetrical XD)

I love your guys rules, and am glad that i am not the only one!

Especially love the "Any name we pick will be somethig "We Love" wether others agree of not" one.

Jeff and I talk all the time about names, mostly because of his obsession with video game characters names and my obsession with naming things in general... My last car was named Rodney and i have a tablet called Sol. >.>

Anyway, thanks for sharing with me!

P.S.
Jeff does the same thing with the name Desmond as your guys do.

#6 Jay.

Jay.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

My Rules :)

1. You will be able to tell the gender of my child.

All the name's on my list and future children, you will be able to tell the gender's of my child. I don't want to say: Oh, this is my child, Jordan, and yes, he's a boy. I want to be able to say "This is my child Liam" and get the responce "Oh, you have a cute son!" I just don't like gender neutral names!

2. My sons will not be named: Elliott, Andrew, Owen or Phillip.

These boys names just bug me, this is to be no offence! I've never liked these names :P.

3. NO double initials. EVER.

My real name and my last name both start with the same letter, I HATE it.

First and middle name won't start with the same letter (Joy Juliana or Liam Lucas)
First and last name won't start with the same letter (Joy Johnson or Liam Larson)
And even worse, all won't be the same! (Joy Juliana Johnson or Liam Lucas Larson)

None of these based on my future husbands input XD (obviously...)

#7 brittany111

brittany111

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:20 AM

i dont have too many rules as yet, it will depend alot on the childs last name.

Im very much for a ballanced name ie long last name = short first name and vice versa.

Don't want the name to end in S.

Perfer the childrens names to have the same amount of letters all up ie first+middle+last (4+7+6 and 5+6+6)

No rhyming.

No teasing.

No settling on something that isnt 'the name'. Both have to love it.

I'm sure there are other little things but this is all i can think of at the moment.

#8 -Regan<3

-Regan<3

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:30 AM

For us it was:

Needs to have a family name:

My daughters middle name is Danielle, which is my middle name. A future boy will have his fathers middle name, Nathanial, after that we are considering using forms of William, Michael, Lisa, Amanda, Gail, Margaret and possibly Scotty.

Needs to be not in the top 50 of popular baby names

Ariana is 84 and our boy name Seth is 185.

No creative spellings

We considered Rylee but just couldn't do it

Nothing that can be rhymed with a bad word.

Tucker for example, love it! Will NOT use it.

We don't do the "both have to love it" thing because I knew my daughters name was Ariana, Nathan took a few days (ahem-weeks-ahem) to convince, so therefore he gets a lot of naming power with our second, I get to veto if I absolutely hate it!

That's all I can think of

#9 coyote19

coyote19

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Traveling, Japan, Languages, and Names : )

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

None of my rules are set in stone as my SO and I haven't really discussed rules when it comes to naming, he usually says "Every thing I name is either Benedict or Isi. I'm really bad at naming so I'll just go with whatever you like." So my rules are more tailored to my own preferences with little input from him.

No double word names (Grace Joy)

No season + flower names (Summer Rose)

Bad initials (I'm not worried as his name ends in J)

No names wih obvious connections (Athena connected to the goddess)

No family names or boring names (his rule)

No prominent S's in a name (they flow odd with our ln)

#10 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

Mine are kind of repeats of everyone else's, but I'll post them anyway:

1. No teasing potential.

No matter how much I love a name, even if it has the slightest bit of teasing potential, I will not use it. I may keep it on my list, but I don't want my child to feel burdened because of his / her name.

2. No alliteration.

My child will not be named Julianna Jones, or Matthew Michael. Alliterative names sound sing-songy to me.

3. Must age well.

No matter how "cute" a name is, if I can't picture it on a job application, I will not use it. In my opinion, cute names belong on pets, not children who will eventually enter the adult world.

4. Must be a name my future husband and I both love.

I really hope I can fulfill this rule! I don't want either of us to compromise; ideally, we would name our kids something we both love.

5. Cannot be the same name as someone I know.

This one is kind of irrational sometimes. If I know someone, even if I don't know them well, but see them occasionally, I will not name my kid the same name as them, no matter how much I love that name!

6. Must have good flow.

I will not name my kid Gabriel Samuel or Greyson Jackson.

7. No unisex names.

As Jay mentioned above, I want people to know immediately whether my kid is a boy or girl.

8. No ridiculous spellings.

I grew up with a slightly uncommon spelling (Meghan instead of Megan). While I like my spelling, and it isn't too extreme, I don't want my kid to have a really tryndee spelling. A slightly different spelling like Meghan is okay for me, but nothing too out there, like Meaghanne or something.

9. Sibling names cannot be too matchy.

I don't want my kids to be named Lily and Lila, or Harper and Piper. It's just a little too much for me. I don't mind sibling names that start with the same letter, but I want my kids to have their own distinct names.

10. The names I pick must be actual names, not made-up ones.

I won't consider names like Neveah, etc. That's just not my personal style.

#11 Mika Casey

Mika Casey

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

Ah, rules. When I was younger, I didn't really care as much...but since joining this site, I've gotten a little more strict.

1. Avoid misspelled or trendy names.
2. Avoid repeating letters in first/last name. For instance, Silas Smith. Unless I'm totally in love with the name.

I'll add more if I think of them later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users