9 replies to this topic

#1 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

I thought about this as I was creating a Skype account. I've never liked my name. EVER. Too common and popular. Had several of them in my class up until high school. Nothing too special and very limited on suitable nicknames. What does come to mind is pretty...well...predictable. Ashley nn Ash. Several years back, I started a new job and I went by "Anna". I know, I know. It's a pretty common name too. But, there was special meaning behind the name. And, until this day, the people I worked with know me as Anna. Well, I was thinking about trying to go by a new nickname. Especially with school starting soon. You think it's too late to introduce a new nickname?
  • Remy Hadley likes this

#2 Madi Wolf Princess <3

Madi Wolf Princess <3

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Interests:Marilyn Manson, Five Finger Death Punch, being a creepy cute princess, being a wolf puppy, Harry Potter, Ravenclaw, Supernatural, Dean Winchester, the fall season, Halloween, sparkly things, the moon, the stars... The whole galaxy, the element air, learning of different religions/cultures, especially the more unconventional ones.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Family is used to calling you by your name however you could say to new people you meet "My name is Ashley, but I'd prefer to be called _________." Then maybe it'll catch on. Idk, at least you'd have some people calling you by a name you like. :-)

#3 NikitaJade

NikitaJade

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Looking after children (I am aspiring to be a kindergarten teacher). Mini golf. Watching movies. Reading. Obsessing over tumblr.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

I don't think its too late. I think lee or leya might be cute nicknames? As long as you don't go too far from your name or some people might get confused. <3

#4 Sierra Eleanor

Sierra Eleanor

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

I think introducing it at work may be a bit late, but starting school you can go by something new for sure!

#5 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

I think you can do it! I introduce myself as Remy and thats what most people know me as. Coworkers normally call me my real name because its a professional environment. But on an every day bases I go by Remy. You can always explain it later on if anyone asks. Anna is really cute though! If you love that, you should use it. You could go by A. Or your initials? I don't remember your middle name :blush: Or really, anything you want. Its your decision ;)

#6 Riley_Jane

Riley_Jane

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Singing, Acting, Dancing, Writing, Names, Event Planning, Hiking, Fitness, Cooking, Baking, and Exploring new things!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

I have never liked my name either it's always mispronounced or spelled. It's Alicia. Recently a friend of mine wrote my name down and the 'c' ended up looking like a 'v', so now they call me Alivia. A small change, but I like it much better. It's not to late if you start introducing yourself as your new name. At school just be sure to tell teachers what to call you and it will probably catch on. I had a kid in my class that switched between his first and middle name every year until he decided which one he liked. Shouldn't be to hard to start! As someone with similar personal experience, Good Luck!

#7 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm not looking for something completely out of the norm. Something that you can pull from Ashley. I like Ally. :)

#8 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

I think Ally works great as a nickname for Ashley. I remember Ashleigh used to use it.. not so much any more!

Ally is lovely.. and seems to have more of a connection to your name than Anna does (Though I LOVE Anna!) :wub:

Plus, allyofthevalley is a great new username.

• Remy Hadley likes this

#9 Lazuli

Lazuli

Epic Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

That is right, huh? She did go by Ally! :)

I promise I will not switch it again! I like allyofthevalley because my birth flower is lily of the valley and a reference to where I live. :D plus, it flows!
  • Remy Hadley likes this

#10 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

I love the new username!! Am getting confused on all the change though girly!! :lol: haha. But I really love it. And I think Ally really does work for Ashley! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users