• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DelphiMoon

DelphiMoon

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Hedgehogs, Hamilton, and corn flakes.

Posted 12 March 2021 - 02:33 PM

Hello all, and happy Friday. 

If you check the lil signature box below this, you'll see that I have quite the issue. My signature is unbearably...well, bare. 

So I would be delighted if I could enlist in some help from my name-obsessed friends! I'm very much not expecting and doubt I will be for another couple decades, but having such an absence of names I adore is quite distressing to a lil name nerd like me. I love vintage names that are outside the box, such as Imogen or Bernadette, but more of the former. 

And that's pretty much all. 

Thank you all so much!!!! 

Oh, and listen to Dodie because you won't regret it. 

#2 Nings8

Nings8

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 08:49 PM

Glad to hear someone else appreciates Dodie  :wub:  

Here are some ideas for you!!

Maud (a favorite!)

Geneva

Gloria

Alma

Theodora / Dorothea

Lavender

Pandora

Cleopatra

Philomena

Augusta (also love. A major guilty pleasure of mine)

Hester

Pearl

Opal

Eula

Leota

Thomasine

Josepha

Anastasia

Vesper

Annalisa

For boys:

Eugene

Herschel (a recent find! love it!)

Tennyson

Falconer

Falkner

Euclid

Leland

Amos

Alistair

Augustus

Ford

Elisha

Ira

Langston

Leander

Let me know what you think!!

#3 DelphiMoon

DelphiMoon

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 10:40 PM

Oh my goodness thank you so much! 

Maud (a favorite!)-Not really my thing sound-wise, but I really like the Lucy Maud Montgomery connection that springs to mind!

Geneva- Woah! That's so beautiful! I really love it! 

Gloria-Hmmm. I've never considered Gloria before, and I'm having a hard time picturing anybody but an older woman. Pretty sounds though...

Alma- Never really been into Alma. Probably the lack of nicknames. 

Theodora / Dorothea-Theodora is very pretty, though I prefer Theodosia. Dorothy is a love of mine, and Dorothea is the same! 

Lavender- I performed in Matilda the musical, so I'm having trouble separating the association. 

Pandora- Beautiful name, but the whole Pandora's Box thing is kind of ruining the name for me. 

Cleopatra- Very dramatic, but I LOVE Cleo. 

Philomena- My side character is called Philomena! It's so glamorous and lovely! 

Augusta (also love. A major guilty pleasure of mine)-AhHHH same! August is nice, but Augusta is just.. another level altogether. 

Hester-Not super into it. -er names particularly on girls tend to not be my thing. 

Pearl- Very visually appealing. The sound isn't my favorite, but it's super gorgeous spelled out. 

Opal- Never really understood the fuss, similarly to Alma. 

Eula-How would you pronounce this? Like Eulalie, just without the -lie bit? :)

Leota- I'm sorry, but all I hear is "The Yoda"  :D

Thomasine- OH MY GOODNESS that's stunning. I'm not the hugest fan of Tommy for a girl, but in full, Thomasine is gorgeous! 

Josepha- This is weird coming from someone who just swooned for Thomasine, but it feels too boy name to me.

Anastasia- Stunning, frilly, beautiful, but a tad too princess-y for me. Romanov tragedies and the like.

Vesper- Don't understand the appeal, unfortunately. Sounds like a villain name to me. Nice name for a book character, though! 

Annalisa- Again, a tad bit too frilly, but without the slightly cool slightly eerie Romanov thing. 

Eugene- Fitzherbert. Gotta love Tangled.  ^_^

Herschel (a recent find! love it!)- I'm not usually interested in surname names. 

Tennyson-See above. 

Falconer- Above Above :)

Falkner- Above Above Above. Although cool sound! 

Euclid- I'm afraid I get a bit tripped up on the pronunciation of a Eu- beginning. Could you clear that up for me? Thank you! 

Leland- I like the sound! 

Amos- I'm digging the vibes of Amos a lot, and the sound is lovely too (though of course I replaced the M with an N in my head  :unsure: )! 

Alistair-Oooh! Very dapper and cool. Nicknames seem sort of limited, but I love the feeling. 

Augustus- I'll love Gus forever, but August and all forms of it have kind of lost their sparkle. 

Ford- A little too contemporary surname for me. 

Elisha- I really like the sound of Elisha, but the spelling isn't my favorite, and Elijah doesn't really blend with my general style....hmm

Ira- I adored Ira since 6th grade, but I got told it was a girl name and lost interest. I really do love the sound, and think it'd be very nice on a boy. 

Langston- Hughes! That's my primary association, and I'm not a huge Langston Hughes fan. 

Leander- Not my thing. Again, I like the Le- sound, though!

Thank you so much, fellow Dodie lover!  :) Favorite song? Also, any suggestions for Geneva/Philomena/Augusta/Thomasine/Alistair/Ira middles? 

#4 Nings8

Nings8

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 559 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:41 PM

Ahh glad you liked some!

For Eula, I've been saying You-lah and fo Euclid I've been saying You-clid? A little more unsure about the Euclid one though

What kind of middle names are you looking for? Would you prefer modern/nature/old fashioned or a little in between?

Also, a little basic, but definitely Secret For The Mad :)) What's your favorite?

#5 DelphiMoon

DelphiMoon

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 12:46 PM

Rainbow or Burned out! 

I like more exotic choices for middles, love nature middle names. Ex. Alaska, Fawn

Secret for the Mad is so beautiful! 

#6 Nings8

Nings8

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 559 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 02:16 PM

Geneva/Philomena/Augusta/Thomasine/Alistair/Ira

Hmm... let me see what I can do!!

Augusta Daffodil, Augusta Clover, or Augusta Primrose would be beautiful! Daffodil is a little out there, but I feel like the cutesy pairs well with the grandness of Augusta

For Geneva, I like Geneva Roe, Geneva Saffron, or Geneva Lilac! Saffron I'm a little iffy on, but it definitely fits the bill of being kind of an out there nature name!

Philomena Lilac is kind of growing on me, but it has a lot of "l" sounds. I like Philomena April, if you're open to that  :wub: 

From your examples, Thomasine Alaska is a stunner! Perfect blend of modern and classic imo. I also love Thomasine Linnea

For the boys!

Ira Storm would be powerful! I feel like Ira might have girly sounds, but paired with Storm it sounds strong and masculine. Ira Adler would be a nice pick too!

Alistair Kale is kind of funky and modern. I like Alistair Thorn (if you're open to a little imagery) and Alistair Drake!

Let me know what you think!!

#7 DelphiMoon

DelphiMoon

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 06:28 PM

Augusta Daffodil, Augusta Clover, or Augusta Primrose- Augusta Daffodil is PERFECTION. Augusta Clover and Augusta Primrose are very pretty, but Daffodil is a whole other level. 

Geneva Roe, Geneva Saffron, or Geneva Lilac- Weird, the names you're iffy on are the ones I like most! Geneva Saffron is a stunner. Geneva Roe is super cool too. Geneva Lilac isn't really my thing, but Saffron just knocks it out of the park. 

Philomena Lilac, Philomena April- I really love the sounds of Philomena with April and Lilac, but the vibes don't really match up for me. 

Thomasine Alaska, Thomasine Linnea- Imogen Alaska has really been a true love Alaska combo, though Thomasine Alaska is also lovely. Thomasine Linnea is striking! So gorgeous!

Ira Storm, Ira Adler- Ira Adler isn't my thing. Ira Storm is so powerful and handsome, though! 

Alistair Kale, Alistair Thorn, Alistair Drake- Kale and Drake are both nms, though they have nice sounds. Alistair Thorn is a masterpiece. Stunning imagery! 

Thank you so much for all your help Rae! 

#8 Nings8

Nings8

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 11:34 PM

Of course!! Any time :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users