#1 Jay.

Jay.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

Four questions.....

1.) Do you pronouce it KAY-lum or CAL-um?

2.) What do you think of the spelling Caylem?

3.) What do you like better: Caylem or Kaylen?
4.) What do you think would make a good middle name?

The other middle names on my list are:
Kyle Robert

Lyndon

Steven-Jon (the hyphon is staying)

Thomas

Holden

William Franklin

#2 ShannonElizabeth

ShannonElizabeth

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

1.) Cal-um. I've known two people with the name, and I think that's the only pronounciation. I think if you want Kay-lum it would have to be spelled differently because it's an entirely different name.
2.) Again, it's a totally different name. And I'm not sure if I like it to be honest, something about the flow is just hard to say for me. It sounds to me like someone is trying to sound Salem, but can't.
3.) Kaylen.
4.) It really depends on if you're using Callum, or Caylem. And I actually don't have time to give you suggestions right now, but I'll come back. I'm sure by then you'll have some other replies as well.

I just read this back and it sounds harsh, but that's not the way I meant it. Sorry.

Edited by Shay, 27 June 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#3 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

I've always thought Callum was adorable :wub: !! I've only ever seen/heard it pronounced CAL-um and though I've heard Kaylen/Caylen and Caleb/Kaleb but never Kaylem/Caylem and personally not a fan, I adore Callum to much to change the spelling! :P

Between Caylem or Kaylen, I would go with Kaylen.

Middle Names for Callum (Though alot of them could go with Kaylen too): I saw Callum Avery somewhere and I thought is was cute! Others maybe, Callum James, Callum Michael, Callum Paul, Callum Jonathan, Callum Justice, Callum Marcus, Callum Levi, Callum Josiah, but Callum Thomas and Callum Lyndon are cute too though.

#4 Jay.

Jay.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 697 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

I've always thought Callum was adorable :wub: !! I've only ever seen/heard it pronounced CAL-um and though I've heard Kaylen/Caylen and Caleb/Kaleb but never Kaylem/Caylem and personally not a fan, I adore Callum to much to change the spelling! :P

Between Caylem or Kaylen, I would go with Kaylen.

Middle Names for Callum (Though alot of them could go with Kaylen too): I saw Callum Avery somewhere and I thought is was cute! Others maybe, Callum James, Callum Michael, Callum Paul, Callum Jonathan, Callum Justice, Callum Marcus, Callum Levi, Callum Josiah, but Callum Thomas and Callum Lyndon are cute too though.

I always said CAL-um as well, though I saw some guy on disney with this name and his was pronouced Cay-lum.....

#5 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

I always said CAL-um as well, though I saw some guy on disney with this name and his was pronouced Cay-lum.....

What did you see it on? And did you see it written or just spoken? ;) Though with all the new/modern things on Disney it wouldn't surprise me if they "revamped" a name to make the character more trendy and relateable to the younger generation. <_<

#6 Jay.

Jay.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 697 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

What did you see it on? And did you see it written or just spoken? ;) Though with all the new/modern things on Disney it wouldn't surprise me if they "revamped" a name to make the character more trendy and relateable to the younger generation. <_<

Actually it was a kid doing a report on like Phineus and Ferb or something like that. He said it AND it was spelled out.

#7 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

Actually it was a kid doing a report on like Phineus and Ferb or something like that. He said it AND it was spelled out.

Yeah, I could see a show like Phineus and Ferb "revamping" a name. A lot of the names in that show are "modern'' or ethnic so I could see them turning Callum into Caylem.

#8 Jay.

Jay.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 697 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

Yeah, I could see a show like Phineus and Ferb "revamping" a name. A lot of the names in that show are "modern'' or ethnic so I could see them turning Callum into Caylem.

He wasn't on the show... .it was a real kid :P

#9 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

He wasn't on the show... .it was a real kid :P

Ahhh, well if it was a real kid, and not a character of any kind, and he was young (like under 8) I could definitely see some younger parent (though not always) trying to make a classic name look more trendy/unique <_< (Bugs me personally :P )

#10 Jay.

Jay.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 697 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

Ahhh, well if it was a real kid, and not a character of any kind, and he was young (like under 8) I could definitely see some younger parent (though not always) trying to make a classic name look more trendy/unique <_< (Bugs me personally :P )

He was around 15 and the name was spelled Callum, but he said it 'Cay-Lum'

#11 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

He was around 15 and the name was spelled Callum, but he said it 'Cay-Lum'

Hmmmm, well then! :P I once knew a girl named Katelyn but her whole family pronounced it Cat- Lynn and it wasn't a regional or accent thing, they actually thought it was pronounced Cat-Lynn. I have no idea how or why they thought that though. Perhaps thats what happened there :blink:

#12 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hmmmm, well then! :P I once knew a girl named Katelyn but her whole family pronounced it Cat- Lynn and it wasn't a regional or accent thing, they actually thought it was pronounced Cat-Lynn. I have no idea how or why they thought that though. Perhaps thats what happened there :blink:

My little sister's name is Katlyn but it's pronounced like Katelyn. Her mom just couldn't spell.
  • BabyNameRater likes this

#13 Wildflowerchild

Wildflowerchild

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

It's definitely pronounced CAL-um. I know a guy who's family is Irish and his name is Malcolm (I believe this is how he spells it), but he goes by Calum. They don't look all too similar, but you can hear the similarity when you say it. It sounds like a few letters are switched around, which is why I love this name :P

Caylem/Kaylem on the other hand, I don't really like at all. It just sounds made up to me.

Some combos for Calum:
Calum Isaac
Calum Thomas
Calum Damian
Calum Tate
Calum Trey
Calum Emory
Calum Everett
Calum Elliott
Calum Ryan
Calum Grey
Calum Mitchell
Calum Brett
Calum Rand
Calum Harrison
Calum Raymond
Calum Daniel
Calum Chase
Calum Sean
Calum Jonathan
Calum Tyler
Calum Tucker
Calum Michael
Calum Jace
Calum Josiah
Calum Joseph
Calum Jacob
Calum Henry
Calum Beau
Calum Wesley
Calum Holden
Calum Hayden
Calum Taylor
Calum Brandt
Calum Philip
Calum Isaiah
Calum Finn
Calum Ryder
Calum Abel
Calum James
Calum Nicholas
Calum Samuel

Since you mention Phineas and Ferb, I actually know which episode you're talking about! It seems like something trendy they would use for that show :P

Hope this helps!!

#14 Jay.

Jay.

Superstar Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • 697 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

Caylem is defiantly growing OFF me now! Lol!

#15 Strawberry

Strawberry

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:04 AM

Calum is the traditional Scottish spelling but Callum is the more common spelling variant now. Kal-um is how it is pronounced. According to behindthename. com Calum is #93 in ireland and #64 in Scotland. Callum is #847 in the U.S., #40 in England/Wales, #74 in Australia, #32 in Ireland, #18 in Northern Ireland, and #15 in Scotland. So if you're looking for a different pronuciation then you should use another spelling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users