4 replies to this topic

#1 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:03 AM

For some prac for uni, I've been going to a different primary school every Wednesday for the last four weeks. Naturally, I look at all the names of the kids (I was surprised to find there were a Maya and Luca in 3/4 classes I was with).

Today there was a girl called Lucia (Lucia-Sarah) to be precise. I've always pronounced the name as "Loo - see- uh". My friend I was with said it "Lucy-uh" but the way this girl pronounced it was "Loo - chi - uh". I've never heard it said like that before.

I was just wondering how you all pronounce it. Have I been getting it wrong all this time?

#2 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

There are multiple pronunciations... though I never heard Loo-chi-uh before! <3 Usually its either loo-see-uh, or loo-sha [in the same way that Lucian is loo-shin]. <_<

Is either Maya or Luca popular in australia? So peculiar that you'd have so many of them! <_< Though tbh, my name wasn't horribly popular in accordance to the social security lists for my year. Yet I manage to meet SO MANY girls that share my name!!! I tease my mother, cause she picked it in hopes of me having a unique name thats familiar but not everywhere... but its everywhere.

Lol don't mind my rambling! <_<

#3 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

Lucia, said "Lou-CHEE-uh" is actually the Italian pronunciation.
I use the English pronunciation of "Lou-SEE-ah" though. But it's really just a case of which you prefer.

#4 ashooles

ashooles

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 5,952 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

Is either Maya or Luca popular in australia?

They must be, but I'd never met anyone with either name until I went to the schools. It must be the new generation <_<

#5 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

They must be, but I'd never met anyone with either name until I went to the schools. It must be the new generation <_<

Hahaha probably! <_< Do they have a list online for the popular names of Aussie, like the do the SSA lists of America? I'll have to go google it now <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users