Photo

What to do with pop culture names you love?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 powerfulnames

powerfulnames

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:46 AM

Okay so I fell into the Supernatural tv series...My hubby and I LOVE the name Castiel, and we decided we will use it for our first son(we are trying for second child) My first daughters name is Isis, I love the meaning and I wanted to match the meaning of any other kids name, to avoid the whole " Her name means supreme goddess and my name means flowing stream...why do you love her more(lol)" . The problem is we like the way Castiel sounds and we love the character and it's not so much that we just like the sound is has alot to do with the character in the show, but basicly, I've picked a name off a tv show and alot of other fans have talked about Castiel like they are going to name their kid Castiel. I dont want to let it go, but how do you deal with a name that you came to name based on a show and other pop culture things, I dont want my son to be in a cluster of like a group of castiels

has anyone else loved a name but not used it because of where you got it from?

#2 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

I doubt many people here in the States will use the name Castiel. (I'm don't know where your from so I can't speak for the world but Castiel isn't a really common name here in the States) I am also a HUGE Supernatural fan as well and Castiel is on my GP (Guilty Pleasure) Names List, along with Samuel (Sam/Sammy) Dean and Jensen (Jensen Ackles plays Dean Winchester) I loved the names anyway but them being affiliated with Supernatural was really just an added bonus! Samuel Jensen is one of my favorite combos and Jonathan Castiel was on my list for a while too!

Castiel (Also the more commonly known form, Cassiel) means "Angel of Thursday" so if your baby is a boy and is born on a Thursday, that would be really cool! I honestly don't think he's going to run into many (if any) Castiel's on the playground. My cousins and sister also wanted to name their kids from the show, two wanted to use Castiel, and now they think the name is silly and said it was just a phase. Most people get discouraged when they mention a name and people look at them oddly, which a lot of people do with Castiel, and so they change it to something more familiar like Samuel, Robert, John, Raphael or Zachariah.

I personally have always adored the name Balthazar, but obviously I'm not going to use it! :P Thats how many people are with Castiel. I think you will be fine with using it since by today's standards and trends, it's an uncommon name but not way out there and ridiculous like Jerzee or Destaneey which makes it just about a perfect fit. Also, of course a lot of fans are going to say they want to use Castiel just like fans of the show "Dexter" say they might want to use the name Dexter or fans of Doctor Who/Torchwood might say they want to use Rose, Jack or Micky. ;) Don't sweat it, the name is fine.

#3 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

Supernatural has been around for awhile (since 2005) so you can already get an idea of how many people are using the name Castiel.

In 2011, the name Castiel was given to 83 boys in the US.
In 2010, Castiel was given to 47 boys in the US.
In 2009, Castiel was given to 13 boys in the US.
No births were recorded for the name Castiel in 2008, 2007, 2006 or 2005.

So you can see that yes, Castiel is growing in popularity. But it is still barely a blip on the radar in the US. You can go a step further and see how many were born in your state if you go to the Social Security Association website and click on the state-specific link: http://www.ssa.gov/O...mes/limits.html

Personally, I think Castiel with the nn "Cas" is adorable :)

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

I don't exactly watch TV, so I have no idea where Castiel is from. I wouldn't worry about growing popularity, though! As Katie pointed out, though its rising its still barely there.

I'm not a huge fan of Castiel, but I do see the appeal. I love Cassius, which is similar. I guess I like "Cas" names? :)

But basically your question is have I ever denied a name because of an association? I've definitely had bad associations with names, therefor I wont use them. (IE I knew a James in high school whom I had an unfortunate incident with, so I will NEVER use the name). But I can't say I really ever get rid of names with good associations. I just add it to the "pro's" list of my name :) For the most part, I feel familiar with quite a few names.. so I can't say I ever really read a book or watch a movie and go "Wow, I've never heard that name before- I like it!". But thats coming from the girl who'll stay up late browsing through her name books :blush: Yup, HUGE name nerd here B) But I can say that I've rediscovered a few names through books and such. I've always known the name Charles, but I can definitely say after reading A Wrinkle In Time that Charles became much more appealing (Charles Wallace). After watching Hanna, with Saoirse Ronan in it, I starting really loving the name Saoirse so much! Though I already liked it before, it just helped me like it more I suppose.

I don't think theres anything wrong with a TV show being where you found a name. Even if it is a bad character in the movie or he has negative traits to himself, ie liking the name "Lacey" after seeing Rock of Love or liking Dexter after seeing that Dexter show. (I've seen neither, but apparently Lacey has a lot of negative associations on that show I heard of her being a "villian" or whatever, and apparently Dexter is a serial killer?). Lacey and Dexter are both fine names, and I doubt the kid would suffer from teasing of these or anything, and I also doubt very many kids with these names would have stemmed from these shows. Idk :)

#5 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

I tend to latch onto names from books/movies/tv shows that I love, so I totally get where you're coming from. I've been lucky that most of the characters I love tend to have more common names: Maura, Jane, Monica, Meredith, Penelope, and Sawyer, so those names wouldn't even be solely connected to the TV show they're from because they've been used enough

Like Katie pointed out, Castiel may be more popular than it used to be, but it's certainly not going to be a Michael, John, or Matthew anytime soon. It goes great with Isis, and if you're just worried about popularity, I wouldn't make that the reason you don't pick it.

#6 powerfulnames

powerfulnames

Aspiring Baby Namer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

Okay, It's just that I am a big Name nerd, and the names I like I tend to find and they have these meanings that I love and they are unusual. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't silly to pick a name based off a character completely. I really do love the name and I am really not a nick name person at all, but I would call my son Cas on occasion, I just love this name

#7 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

Okay, It's just that I am a big Name nerd, and the names I like I tend to find and they have these meanings that I love and they are unusual.

No worries, we're all big name nerds around here. ;) I own three name books filled with highlighter and side notes, and over 20 notebooks filled with different names and thoughts B) Its always a plus when theres meaning to the names you love that have to do with something you love! I am familiar with the meanings to the names on my list, but few of them have more meaning than the actual meaning they come with. Besides a few family names :)

Castiel doesn't even sound horrible unusual to me :) Like its different, but not out there. "Cas" is very familiar, so it kinda brings it in a bit. I feel like this would be fun to live with: a little different with a feel of familiarity to it. Or at least thats my thoughts. Hope they help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users