• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

1. I've decided to add Madeleine or Madelyn to my list, nick name "Minnie", to honor our lovely Yasmine. *Madeleine is mad-uh-line while Madelyn is mad-uh-lyn* I'm trying to decide on a nice middle name, maybe mixing it up with something Mike loves. Madeleine Riley, Madeleine Cadence, Madeleine Jade, Madeleine Eve? I'd love some idea's for middle names if you've got any :)

2. These will probably only be on my personal list, but thoughts on Lucienne, Philippa "Pippa", or Elisabetta? I think I'd end up using Elisabetta as a middle name only, while the other two could be either. But they are names that have come to mind recently.

Honestly been having a really hard time with girls names. I've fallen madly in love with Clementine, but Mike hates it :'( its not even that I want him to give in but I just wish we shared a passion for it.. His absolute favorite is Emily, "Emmy". Which I figure compromise would help cause Clementine could easily be called Emmy as well but he doesnt seem interested in compromise. He is set on the idea that we wont need to compromise because we were able to find a bunch of boys names we equally love... But I dont think we will fall in love with the same girls name ever. Anyone else going through a similar issue? Its a real downer to know the absolute most beautiful and wonderful girls name (in my opinion ;) ) isnt equay loved or even liked and will never be used :( just had to get it out there <3

Thanks for all input ladies!!

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

1. I've decided to add Madeleine or Madelyn to my list, nick name "Minnie", to honor our lovely Yasmine. *Madeleine is mad-uh-line while Madelyn is mad-uh-lyn* I'm trying to decide on a nice middle name, maybe mixing it up with something Mike loves. Madeleine Riley, Madeleine Cadence, Madeleine Jade, Madeleine Eve? I'd love some idea's for middle names if you've got any :)

2. These will probably only be on my personal list, but thoughts on Lucienne, Philippa "Pippa", or Elisabetta? I think I'd end up using Elisabetta as a middle name only, while the other two could be either. But they are names that have come to mind recently.

Honestly been having a really hard time with girls names. I've fallen madly in love with Clementine, but Mike hates it :'( its not even that I want him to give in but I just wish we shared a passion for it.. His absolute favorite is Emily, "Emmy". Which I figure compromise would help cause Clementine could easily be called Emmy as well but he doesnt seem interested in compromise. He is set on the idea that we wont need to compromise because we were able to find a bunch of boys names we equally love... But I dont think we will fall in love with the same girls name ever. Anyone else going through a similar issue? Its a real downer to know the absolute most beautiful and wonderful girls name (in my opinion ;) ) isnt equay loved or even liked and will never be used :( just had to get it out there <3

Thanks for all input ladies!!

I know how you feel. Me and Ben came up with a girls name we could both agree on rather easily. I've never been able to get really attached to a girls name, my top girls names have always been rather loosely assigned and move around a lot. When Ben said it was really important to him to name a girl after his grandmother, Leona, I was a bit hesitant. I like the name Leona but I felt it needed a usable nickname. After playing around with it a bit, I was able to come up with a nickname that fit my style and which I just love, Lennie. It was a bit of a compromise. Ben gets a first name that means a lot to him, and I get a nickname that I love.

When it comes to boys names, however, it is a different story. I have several boys names that I am very attached too. The main one being Wiley. I've loved the name for so long (very few of my names have stood the test of time) that I can't imagine my first son going by anything else. I have the same attachment for Wiley that you have for Clementine. When I mentioned it to Ben, he wasn't very impressed, he says he doesn't HATE it, but he doesn't like it very much :(. He has a similar attachment to the name Nathaniel "Nathan" which ironically was my favorite boy name when I was in high school, however, I've out grown this name. Ben seems to be willing to compromise with me on the middle name being Lark Alfred after my grandpa, but we have yet to agree on a first name. Neither one of us want to let go of our favorite.

As for your questions: I prefer the spelling Madeline "Mad uh LYN" which is how my sister's name is spelled, however the Madelyn spelling does make the pronunciation more clear. I think Madelyn nn Minnie is adorable :)

I like Pippa & Elisabetta a lot. I think Elisabetta nn Bette would be really cute. I'm not a fan of Lucienne of course it may be a pron/lost-in-translation issue for me. (loo CEE en)?

#3 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

My fiance and I agree pretty well with names, both boy and girl. He gives me pretty much free reign over it and only if I suggest one he absolutely hates does he veto it immediately (which is rare). He doesn't share my love of names like Saoirse or Niamh and those are usually the types of names veto'd most of the time but since I would never actually use them since there would be so many pronunciation issues I'm ok with it. some of the ones I like that he doesn't (for various reasons) are names like Violet, Anastasia, Seraphina and such while some of his that he adores but I personally can't stand are names like Ellen and Juno.

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

I know how you feel. Me and Ben came up with a girls name we could both agree on rather easily. I've never been able to get really attached to a girls name, my top girls names have always been rather loosely assigned and move around a lot. When Ben said it was really important to him to name a girl after his grandmother, Leona, I was a bit hesitant. I like the name Leona but I felt it needed a usable nickname. After playing around with it a bit, I was able to come up with a nickname that fit my style and which I just love, Lennie. It was a bit of a compromise. Ben gets a first name that means a lot to him, and I get a nickname that I love.

When it comes to boys names, however, it is a different story. I have several boys names that I am very attached too. The main one being Wiley. I've loved the name for so long (very few of my names have stood the test of time) that I can't imagine my first son going by anything else. I have the same attachment for Wiley that you have for Clementine. When I mentioned it to Ben, he wasn't very impressed, he says he doesn't HATE it, but he doesn't like it very much :(. He has a similar attachment to the name Nathaniel "Nathan" which ironically was my favorite boy name when I was in high school, however, I've out grown this name. Ben seems to be willing to compromise with me on the middle name being Lark Alfred after my grandpa, but we have yet to agree on a first name. Neither one of us want to let go of our favorite.

As for your questions: I prefer the spelling Madeline "Mad uh LYN" which is how my sister's name is spelled, however the Madelyn spelling does make the pronunciation more clear. I think Madelyn nn Minnie is adorable :)

I like Pippa & Elisabetta a lot. I think Elisabetta nn Bette would be really cute. I'm not a fan of Lucienne of course it may be a pron/lost-in-translation issue for me. (loo CEE en)?

I was surprised how easy our boys names came to us! We're head over heels for Archer Cole and Roman Connor and we have no doubts on our sons being named such. We both love Christopher Atlas Graham as a potential third son, and we just have such a sturdy list that I really dont feel compromised on at all. Then the girls names come.... And its that exact attachment! I cant imagine my first daughter as anything other than my little Clem and its hard to let go, especially when I dont really even like half his girls choices :( we have a few common names, but I cant seem to let go of Clementine at all!! I would be willing to give in only for Mabel, I think. Which he isnt digging all that much either. He likes it more than Clem, but not enough to necessarily use. He seems to feel the same about Emily / Emma. With his close seconds being Riley and Harley. I could give in with Riley or Emma as middle names, but idk...

I think a big thing for me is that I dont plan on having many children. If I was going to have five or six I'd be more likely to compromise cause at least I'd have another chance to get in a name I love... But I dont even know if I'll have more than one so it feels more pressured <3 my plan is two kids, but still.. I could end up with only one girl to name, or none and we'd be set anyway haha! But still.. Id honestly give him Emily if I knew I could have a Clementine <3

#5 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

Ahh answerin on my ipod and missing things ahh... I do prefer the clearer pronunciation / spellings :) Elisabetta nick name Bette would be cute <3 I say Lucienne as LOU-see-en.. No idea if thats right :/

Aw Lauren, its nice that he's so easy going!! In a way its nice he has his own style, but it stinks when it veto's my fave ;) ah I adore Irish names!!! Mike liked Saoirse until he saw the spelling and trashed it haha. Ah, me and Mike both have associations to names that we cant get over either like mean coworkers or something :/ i'm sure when it comes down to me being due in a few months he'll buckle down more, but while I'm not pregnant and its not as serious... Bleh :/

#6 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

I'm sure once the name game gets serious he'll start opening up to a lot more options in general hahaha When it came time for Caia to be born we had just barely had time to decide on a possible definite when I went into labor, two weeks early! So when we thought we still had two weeks left to decide a name (not that much time at all really lol) Caia decided she wanted to be named then and now! Haha and so she became Caia Rose :P

#7 Wildflowerchild

Wildflowerchild

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

1. I personally prefer Madelyn. It seems to go with more, and "Minnie" is such a cute nickname! From your Madeleine combos, I really like Madeliene Cadence and Madeleine Jade. Madelyn Riley is really pretty as well!

2. I really like Lucienne, LOVE Italian names. Very elegant <3 And the nn Lucy is always an option! Philippa is okay, my sister has taken a liking to this name recently and I just can't get into it for some reason. I really like Pippa though. Elisabetta is VERY pretty, it's unique, but still a classic. <3

#8 PaperHeart

PaperHeart

Genie-ous Baby Namer and Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

I personally love Madeleine. I had it on my list when I was a little younger. I love the nn Addy.. even Adele as a nickname could work.. but if it's to honour me, Minnie works wonders ^_^

Quick question though... why are we honouring me? Honouring Rye was a great idea with Kathryn or Victoria!

Madeleine is also cute to honour yourself (Hadley - Even though you don't use it, it reminds me of you)

Here's a bunch of middle names for Madeleine either way:

Madeleine Saoirse

Madeleine Ava

Madeleine Lucy

Madeleine Gemma

Madeleine Hattie

Madeleine Vera

Madeleine Sofia

Madeleine Poppy

Madeleine Rose

Madeleine Blythe

Madeleine Charlotte

Madeleine Sadie

Madeleine Faye

Madeleine Laurel

Madeleine Pearl

Madeleine Sara

Madeleine Clara

Madeleine Emma (I know an Emma Madeleine)

Madeleine Katya

Madeleine Violet

Madeleine Sophie

Madeleine Hazel

Madeleine Phoebe

Madeleine Victoire

Madeleine Jessa

Madeleine Evie

Madeleine Aubrey

Madeleine Pippa

Madeleine Gwen

Madeleine Ivy

Madeleine Harper

Madeleine Zoe

Madeleine Niamh

Madeleine Bailey

Madeleine Aria

Madeleine June

Madeleine Claire

Madeleine Norah

Madeleine Briar

Madeleine Hanna

Madeleine Scarlett

Madeleine Eva

Madeleine Victoria

#9 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Haha yeah I imagine he'll open up more when we're serious too <3 he is pretty open in general, but idk. I also dont want to start fighting over names until I am ;) haha! Again who knows if I even will have a baby girl? Then the fighting would be over nothing lol

HemiLB, I kinda do see more of a connection to Minnie through Madelyn. Its conflicting cause I prefer Madeleine but Madelyn is slightly closer <3 I was thinking of Lucienne nick name Lucy! I'm Italian so it would be nice to keep some heritage in here :)

Yas, Addy is cute as well... But not so honoring hehe! But I think your a very honorable person, thats why! I may know Rye in real life, but I've actually known you longer <3 and idk, I love you :) it'd be a great story to tell her of amazing auntie Yas ;) I can still honor Rye too though. I am still liking Kathryn / Victoria nick name Rye (though Mike is crazy about Riley so I'm considering sticking to it because he adores it so much - like me and my Clementine hehe ;) ). Madeleine would also be like a family theme with so many M's! Hehe <3

Ahh I always love all these suggestions!! <3 I am loving...
Madeleine Saoirse*
Madeleine Gemma
Madeleine Hattie
Madeleine Poppy*
Madeleine Emma
Madeleine Katya
Madeleine Violet*
Madeleine Hazel*
Madeleine Phoebe*
Madeleine Evie*
Madeleine Gwen
Madeleine Ivy
Madeleine Zoe*
Madeleine Bailey
Madeleine Aria
Madeleine June*
Madeleine Briar*
Madeleine Scarlett
Madeleine Eva*
Madeleine Victoria *

I *'d the ones I'm adoring <3

Thanks soooooo much ladies!! So helpful!!!
  • PaperHeart likes this

#10 Meghan<3

Meghan<3

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 3,823 posts
  • Interests:Baby names, writing, reading, animals

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

I like both Madelyn and Madeleine. However, I personally have always thought that Madeline was pronounced "Mad-uh-line" and both Madelyn and Madeleine like "Mad-uh-lyn". If you want to use the nickname Minnie, I would recommend using either Madelyn or Madeleine (mad-uh-lyn) because this pronunciation has the "in" sound in it already.

Lucienne is all right. I personally prefer Lucy, Lucille, or Lucia. I think Lucienne would make a better middle name than first. Elizabetta is also nice, though a little long for my taste. I agree that it would make a nice middle name. Philippa is not my style, but the nickname Pippa is cute.

I'm sorry Mike doesn't like Clementine! :( I personally think Clementine nicknamed Emmy is adorable!

#11 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Thanks Meghan! :) I feel like everyone has different pronunciations on Madelyn / Madeline / Madeleine haha! Cause there are definitely people who pronounce Madeline like Madelyn as well! I agree though on the -in sound already being in it makes Minnie fit a bit better :)

Elisabetta is pretty long, which is one of the reasons I like it as a middle hehe <3 I'm back and forth on Pippa / Philippa today hehe, can't decide if I prefer plain Pippa or Philippa as a longer. Ah, I'll ask Mike. He'll probably say no but ah well lol

Thanks though!! I'm so in love with Clementine it will be so hard to let it go :( But who knows, maybe I'll end up with boys anyway haha <3

#12 flying-person

flying-person

Distinguished Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Everything that isn't maths or geography ;)

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:48 AM

I know a girl named Elisabetta, but she goes by Lisa (lee-zuh). I love it, but school always spells her name wrong :/

I prefer Madeleine over Madelyn, but I like Madeline more than both put together. My mother's friend just named his baby girl that, and I think it's adorable :D Minnie reminds me of Minerva McGonagall, but that's only because I'm a Harry Potter nerd.

I agree that you should pronounce it mad-uh-lyn to get the nickname Minnie.

Lucienne is a GP for me, but I have it listed as a middle name. I pronounce it loo-shh/ch-en (kind of rhymes with ocean, but it's really hard to write down phonetically, haha).

Philippa "Pippa" is nice, but I think it's going to get a lot more popular (just a guess) because of Pippa Middleton. Though I do love Pippa, I'm not a fan of Philippa. And, eventually it might be shortened to Pip. Definitely not my style.

I actually think that Madeleine/Madeline (mad-uh-line) Emily sounds nice, and MIGHT be able to be shortened to Emmy. And have you considered the name Emily Clementine? You can call her Clem and he can call her Emmy. And at school, you can list down your preferred nickname- like how my brother's name is Henry, but only on official school documents (he's Harry for everything else). Just a thought :)

Just make sure you don't over-compromise. You might get something like my name, which is completely out there and really clashes- Anthea Audrey. My dad wanted Audrey, my mum wanted Anthea soo... Now my initials are AAH :P

#13 Dorcas

Dorcas

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

I have a friend that is Madeline Emily (mad-uh-line) and I have always loved her name. They're both so amazingly pretty and feminine. I also know a Madeliene Claire (mad-uh-lyn but she likes to be mad-uh-line) and I think that's quite pretty too, though I prefer the first!

Out of your three names I LOVE Pippa! Not a fan of Phillipa but Pippa is just so adorable and could even be shortened to Pip which is equally as gorgeous!

Was very much in the same situation as you for my baby girls name. Hubby is very, very, exceedingly ridiculously fussy with names and I can't keep my mind on anything I particularly like. My list consisted of Wilhelmina (Helley), Henrietta (Etta, Etty or Hetty), Bonnie, Cambria (Bree), Emily, Willow and a few others. I ended up taking Willow off the list because I went off of it but Hubby just fell in love with it and despite trying to convince him of other names, he just wanted Willow. In the end he told me I could have whatever name I wanted, he understood that I'd dreamt about what I'd name my babies since the concept of one day being a mummy was in my head (from about the age of 4 probably!) whereas he really wasn't as bothered or quite as attached to any of the names like I was but I went with Willow because I couldn't believe that he'd been so thoughtful and realised that it had made its way onto my list for a reason. It was beautiful. It wasn't my first choice but it was certainly a choice again and the more I got used to it the more it seemed that our little baby girl would be a 'Willow'. I also know that the names I had liked were a little odd by today's standards and I'd rather my daughter not grow up getting teased for her name! Though there had been another name Hubby had liked, Zelda. I did not want that as her first name so I gave it to her as a second middle name, that way if we have another girl it won't be used!! Every now and then I go 'Ohmygod, we've named our daughter after a tree' but then I think, well there's heaps of natural names out there and Willow is one of my favourites so I smile again and I like that it's a little different. Not Completely out there but not too common either. I believe that you will come to a name that you both like, one might like it more than the other but that's okay, marriage, relationships and having a baby are all about compromises. Clementine is beautiful but maybe DH doesn't quite understand what it means to you (guys can be a bit slow on the uptake every now and then, even if you say you like it and you really want it they might not understand just how much you want it!) try and express again how much you like it, why you like it and the emotions you feel when you think of that name and if you can picture what she would look like (his eyes, your nose, his hair colour, your chin etc) he might start picturing a cute little girl with a cute little name and the name might grow on him. Though of course, Emily is also very beautiful!

#14 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

I also know a Madeliene Claire (mad-uh-lyn but she likes to be mad-uh-line) and I think that's quite pretty too, though I prefer the first!

My sister's name is Madeline (Mad-uh-lyn) Claire :D
  • Remy Hadley likes this

#15 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

Lisa is a cute nick name :) I'd be tempted to use it... but eh yeah I imagine people mispelling it, another reason I'd probably only use it as a middle name <3
I've never seen harry potter so I have no associations there ;) I do think of Minnie Mouse, but eh. I also think of Yazzie hehe <3
Ahh, looshen like rhyming with ocean is a nice pronunciation as well.. Lucienne will defs be best as a middle name with all the pronunciations though!
Mmm, it might get more popular. It might end up getting shortened to Pip I'm sure, but I don't mind that hehe.
Madeleine/Madeline Emily is really nice, and definitely a possibility! Mike completely vito'd Clementine though, and he's not willing to compromise with a name he dislikes. Like he'll compromise with a name he only semi likes but not one he completely dislikes (which I kinda get). But if her name was Emily I'd call her Emmy, I'm not a fan of using middle names.. kinda irks me personally :( and I wouldn't want to call her Clem if Mike dislikes it so much, takes the fun out of calling her such <3 Its a nice idea though!
Hahaha AAH is cute intitals hehe!! Something to chuckle at but not mean like EWW or something hehe <3 Anthea and Audrey are nice names! I mean we'll find something I guess I just don't love a lot of his options.. he goes more for names like Whitney, Nicole.. and of course Emma / Emily, Riley, and Harley being the top 3. While I love names like Clementine, Mabel, Harriet... TOTALLY different <3 It'll be tough finding common grounds!
Thanks Anthea though!! <3

Madeleine Emily is pretty, and a great compromise I think :) Madeleine Claire is nice as well, though I don't adore Claire. I like Clara but Mike doesn't <3
Hehe my friend mentioned Philippa being a real old ladies name so I'm thinking about how I feel about it (old like Hortense old, not old like Mabel I guess ;) ). I am liking Pippa or Pip though.. so springy and up beat!
Willow is actually fairly up in the SSA charts, so I'm sure she wont be thinking "uh whats up with this tree name?" lol. Willows 202 on the SSA charts :) But aw thats cute of him! Yeah I've been dreaming of these things since longer than I can remember, but I feel like names matter a very lot to Mike too. He even said how "baby names are super important, cause like they will have to live with their name forever" hehe :) I adore nature names though, Willows on my list along with Hazel, Ivy, Juniper, etc etc. Life in general is all about compromise really haha! Yeah, I mean I'm not sure if he understands how much I adore it, but I don't want to bring it up too many times to make the name annoying to him. I've brought it up vaguely a few more times, like how Clementine is french for mercy and its fairly popular over in france. How our names would match because many people call me Remalem as a nick name for Remy, and she could be Little Lem <3 Or just how much I adore it and what not... and I defs brought up nick name Emmy.. but he just hates the sound of the entire name it seems :/ I'm hoping maybe it grows on him, maybe it will. But I'm not depending on it cause I don't want to be disappointed ;) Who knows, we'll have to see <3
  • PaperHeart likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users