6 replies to this topic

#1 Miss Madison

Miss Madison

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:35 PM

We had a dog when I was growing up called Chloe who died when I was 8. She was much loved and we still talk about her today.

I am thinking of getting another dog, do you think it's OK to name her Chloe?

I have always liked the name and other than Phoebe, I can't really think of any other names.

I know this isn't about babies but I really want your opinions.

Thanks...

#2 coyote19

coyote19

Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Traveling, Japan, Languages, and Names : )

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

I think naming the doh Chloe would make her more of a replacement....and to me that just seems like a bad think to do, it goes against my personal morals.

I like Phoebe a lot and I think it would honor the other dog seeings as they both have -oe- in them.

#3 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

I kinda agree with the above poster.

Just me personally, I like having names keep the meaning to the original owner of the name. So you hear Chloe and think of the childhood dog. Your new dog wont be Chloe, and I just feel as if its putting a lot to own up to for the dog, almost big shoes to fill maybe? Idk if my sayings make sense here haha. But if Chloe was so grande to you, this new dog you'll be comparing to her and its almost unfair.

However, its your puppy! If you feel its what you want, then go for it! My aunt had a dog Phoebe though and I thought it suited her nicely. We can also suggest things for you if you want x

#4 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

I knew a guy who did this. His first dog Hunter died, so the next dog her got was Hunter 2 lol. I mean, if you think about it, we do it with people all the time. Many kids get the name of a deceased aunt, grandma, sibling, close friend, etc, and while its not conventional to do it for pets, why not? If she seems like a Chloe to you and you feel okay calling her that, then really, you should go for it
  • Dorcas likes this

#5 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

My uncle did it with his dogs. He started with Rio Grande (Rio) and each consecutive dog became Rio Grande II or Rio Grande III. But neither dog lived up to the original. But I personally think there's a difference between replacing and honoring.
If she feels like a Chloe, then she's a Chloe.
  • Permanent Rose and Dorcas like this

#6 Permanent Rose

Permanent Rose

Legendary Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts
  • Interests:art, reading, writing, dogs and cats

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

But I personally think there's a difference between replacing and honoring.

That's a great way to put it, and I think you can run into that problem with pets

#7 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Growing up we had multiple dogs named Hoss. Every time one of our dogs had a litter, my mom would name the biggest male puppy Hoss. We only kept one until adulthood but even after he died we named other dogs Hoss. So I don't think it is that big of a deal. We also had a dog named Lucy who was really a part of the family for a long time (we inherited her from my step-grandpa when he died) and she went everywhere with us. When my sister said she wanted to name her daughter Luci, we were all like "After the dog?" :blink: But of course, we couldn't picture Luci being called anything else now. I'm sure if my sister can name her daughter after a dog and it works, you can give the name Chloe to a second dog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users