• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Martin spent twenty straight minutes badgering me about the name Leon, which is an okay name if I didn't have two immediate associations with it. One is Leon from the Resident Evil franchise which isn't a horrible association and the other is a friend's cousin who screams, steals, kicks, cusses and causes as much trouble as he can whenever I see him and is unfortunately the biggest association I have with the name. When I mentioned it to Martin he said that if I had a son named Leon I'd forget all about our friend's cousin.
I'm not fond of the name at all. He also says that I can learn to like it and I probably could but the last thing I want is to dislike my child's name. And then there's the fact there's his brother Leonardo a.k.a. Leo, and the fact that my brother loves the name Leopold. To me Leonardo, Leopold and Leon is way too much Leo. Again, Martin disagrees.
Can anyone think of a compromise or alternative? I can't suggest using it as a middle since I do that with so many of his gun or video game based names but I don't want to upset him or make him feel as though his ideas are always going to be rejected.

#2 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

Maybe Ian/Eon ?

Does he like the name simply because of the video game, or does he like it because it somewhat honors his brother?

#3 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

He likes it strictly because of the video game. He actually thinks his brother is annoying, but then again any seventeen year old will say that about a twelve year old. If it was because of his brother I might be able to like it a bit more. But the game character is egocentric and very much so a jerk. Martin just sees a bad-######. His words, not mine. Lol.
Does Eon/Ian seem to be a bit of a stretch?

#4 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,886 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

I've tried liking names for Mikes sake but it doesn't really always work out that way :( And its true that I'm sure you'd grow to like it with a good association behind it, but you shouldn't ever have to go through a time where you dislike your own kiddo's name! If you dislike it, you dislike it. Though I do think there should be some level of compromise on names, it should be kinda little :/ Neither of you should ever bother with names that either of you dislike. There should be at least an inkling of liking in the name from both of you and all..

I think Ian is a pretty nice one, its somewhat close to Leon. But if you don't really like Ian either than its pointless to suggest <3 Idk, I'm sure after searching for long enough you'll both find something you don't truly feel like your compromising on <3

#5 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

Eon doesn't seem too much of a stretch. I think it would even work as a nickname for Leon (not that Leon needs a nickname). But it helps it stand out from all the Leo- names.

Since you aren't planning on having kids right now, maybe it is better not to argue about it and tell him you will add it to the list. And hope that when you do have a boy, he will have moved on to another video character's name. :)
  • Remy Hadley likes this

#6 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,886 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Eon doesn't seem too much of a stretch. I think it would even work as a nickname for Leon (not that Leon needs a nickname). But it helps it stand out from all the Leo- names.

Since you aren't planning on having kids right now, maybe it is better not to argue about it and tell him you will add it to the list. And hope that when you do have a boy, he will have moved on to another video character's name. :)

I agree on adding it for the sake of it now and removing it when you actually are pregnant! :P haha, I do that to Mikes names too sometimes... <3 I did for Emily for a while until I gave up on that <3

#7 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Thanks guys. I just might. Almost all of his names come from video games or weapons so I try to get him to put them in middle. Dante, Virgil, Claymore and Colt being the most memerable ones.
I like Ian and I love Eon as a nickname for Gideon. Martin dislikes it for whatever reason. He just grunts out a no and then pretends I never said it.
So for the moment its on the list.

#8 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Thanks guys. I just might. Almost all of his names come from video games or weapons so I try to get him to put them in middle. Dante, Virgil, Claymore and Colt being the most memerable ones.
I like Ian and I love Eon as a nickname for Gideon. Martin dislikes it for whatever reason. He just grunts out a no and then pretends I never said it.
So for the moment its on the list.

I think Dante could even make a great first name! I really like it, plus I saw it on the telly as a character name for one of those Disney shows little kids watch. Little kids as in 8 year olds lol, my cousin watched it. Claymore could also make a pretty good first name, calling him Clay :) Virgil and Colt definitely feel middle name like though :/ Eon as a nick name for Gideon is really cool!!

Haha, oh man.. when it comes to actually naming a kiddo Mike will probably be disappointed in me turning down names I "liked" at one point :( but hey, works for now haha

#9 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

I have my days where I like Claymore and then the fact that it's a sword/explosive throws me off. Although Clay makes it much more approachable which I like. And Martin likes that the name/nickname Clay is a family name. As much as he finds Leo annoying, he loves Clay so honoring him would be okay with me.

And just for fun I found Morphthing.com which lets you make a baby picture of off two pictures so I played around with it. Here's what I got:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

What would you name them?
Yes, I know, there's a lot of them. But the girls looked similar so I tried to get another girl in there.
  • Remy Hadley likes this

#10 Katie-Nana

Katie-Nana

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Super Moderators
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Too cute! :)

#1 & #2 - Lilith or Bethany, I can also see her/them as a Suvi or Susie.
#3 - From your list, Jane. But I also see her as an Ivy or Izzy (Isabelle).
#4 - Colton
#5 - Simon or Dominic

#11 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

Too cute! :)

#1 & #2 - Lilith or Bethany, I can also see her/them as a Suvi or Susie.
#3 - From your list, Jane. But I also see her as an Ivy or Izzy (Isabelle).
#4 - Colton
#5 - Simon or Dominic

Thanks!
I can totally see them as Suvi, and I was surprised at how much that first boy looks like my cousin. It's unnerving.

#12 CharlPlant

CharlPlant

Novice Baby Namer

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Why don't you try Liam as a compromise to Leon?

#13 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Mm, Clay does feel much more approachable. Its funny, for me violent names don't bother me. I love Gunner as a name haha <3 But I can see how it can bother someone.

omg I was obsessed with that site like two months ago maybe? I don't have any fabulous pictures of Mike or I though that are strait on or anything... so all the pics came out really crappy :( I love the ones you've got though!! They are SO cute <3 Ill have to do a few for me now as I can't find my old pics :P

Based off your list..

Posted Image
I can imagine her as Siofra, Bethany, Delilah, Harlowe, or Jane
Posted Image
Lilith, Delilah, Summer, or Suvi
Posted Image
Milena. She just seems like a Milena :)
Posted Image
Isaac, Simon, Dominic, Wilhelm, Dante, Colton
Posted Image
Isaac, Simon, Marcus, Dominic, James, August

:D

#14 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Remy: The ones I used aren't straight on either. Angled ones work and they've fixed it from the last time I used it and forgot it existed.
I wanna see what you wind up with. I'm picturing lots of cute.
  • Remy Hadley likes this

#15 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Remy: The ones I used aren't straight on either. Angled ones work and they've fixed it from the last time I used it and forgot it existed.
I wanna see what you wind up with. I'm picturing lots of cute.

I just posted them in a topic! :) A little bit of a copy cat hehe ;) but the pics were slightly angled, so the pics were only okay.. but yeah! I really like the little boy lol.. looks so 1900's <3

#16 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

I just posted them in a topic! :) A little bit of a copy cat hehe ;) but the pics were slightly angled, so the pics were only okay.. but yeah! I really like the little boy lol.. looks so 1900's <3

Lol. It's okay. Copy away. He does. But he's cute.
The second girl looks more like me. My nose, eyes and cheeks. Definetly has Martin's mouth though. No idea on the last girl. And the second boy reminds me of a blonde Martin.
I wish my kids could have pretty green eyes but both mine and Martin have blue so blue theirs shall be. Hopefully they're really light blue like Martin's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users