Photo

Nickname Maggie/Maggy?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Maggie? Jem? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of Maggie/Maggy?

1. Cute while he's small (3 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. Ehhh...meh (4 votes [40.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Just no... (3 votes [30.00%] - View)

What do you think of Jem?

1. Cute while small (3 votes [30.00%] - View)

2. Ehhhh...meh (6 votes [60.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

3. Just no... (1 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Spelling?

1. Maggie (2 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Maggy (5 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Neither (3 votes [30.00%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 BabyNameRater

BabyNameRater

Legendary Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

My (now!) husband and I are naming our son Magnus James (as most of you know :P) and we want a very cute nickname for him when he is small, like 2 years and younger and my husband recently started referring to him as Maggie and.......I LOVE IT! :wub:I honestly don't connect Maggie/Maggy with a girl/woman, despite it being a popular nickname for Magdalene and Magdalena and sometimes for Margret and Marguerite. It would also be a strictly family name unless he chose to use it when he got older. We thought about Mag/Mags when he got older (5 and up) unless he preferred Magnus.

For those thinking, why not a nickname for James instead? Nicknames for James aren't really available. We have a multitude of Jay's, Jaime's, and Jim/Jimmy's in both sides as it is and the only nickname not taken (not that we really liked Jay, Jaime or Jim/Jimmy anyway) is Jem, which some would argue looks just as feminine as Maggie since it sounds so close to Gem. We considered Jem when we were calling him James (As at the time our choice of Michael was EXTREMELY common in both families and had every possible nickname taken and so chose the lesser used of the two names).

If we were to use Jem, it would be one that continued on into adulthood because not only have I met a (30 something) man named James who went by Jem but it is also the nickname of a favorite character in my favorite series named James AKA Jem, also a grown man. Ironically both the real man and the character are from England, don't know if that's a coincidence or if Jem is their version of Jim, I honestly don't know.

So thoughts, Ladies!? Thank you!

#2 The Future Mrs B

The Future Mrs B

Epic Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Interests:Music, names and my friends.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

I would say that stritcly as "around the house" nickname Maggy/Maggie is fine while he's young but knowing a Maggie (Margaret) it seems feminine to me. But for a small boy, it is cute. Mag/Mags is nice when he's still a small child but not a toddler.
The one James I know goes by James, Jimmy and Strawberry because of his strawberry scented shampoo. A nickname may not come from his name. I like Jem though.

#3 Sierra Eleanor

Sierra Eleanor

Power Baby Namer

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Maggie/Maggy is very feminine. I would just call him Mags, I think its really cute. Maggy could be a cute joking nickname, like Maggy-boy or something of sorts.

#4 Laugh-Dream-Love

Laugh-Dream-Love

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,799 posts
  • Interests:Watching movies and snuggling with my boyfriend; Writing; Reading; Listening to music; Drawing; Singing

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

To me, Maggie is all girl, so I'd stay away from it for your son. Jem I think is an awesome nickname! It's commonly used in the UK as a nn for Jeremy, and I know a little boy named that. I think it's adorable, and to me it fits much better than Maggie. He's your son though, so it's up to you ultimately.

#5 Remy Hadley

Remy Hadley

Genie-ous Baby Namer

• Senior BNG Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,886 posts
  • Interests:♥ baby names ♥ pasta ♥ sherlock holmes ♥ knitting / crocheting ♥ hiking ♥ dogs ♥ sea creatures ♥ birds ♥ nature documentaries ♥ peaceful parenting ♥ cooking ♥

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

I knew a guy called by Maggy, it was his nick name. But honestly? I think Mag itself is a perfectly acceptable nick name even through adulthood, assuming he wants a nick name. Maggy spelled this way helps, -ie endings tend to be seem as feminine (like in the 20's when people named their girls Bobbie and the -ie was what made it 'feminine'). While he's small, Maggy would be sweet. And as he ages it can go towards Mag.

I'm personally not a fan at all of going by middle names. It irks me lol :/ but to each their own, of course! I think Magnus is so handsome, and Mag wouldnt feel feminine when a manly little guy takes it on <3

#6 Camellia

Camellia

Notable Baby Namer

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

I'm related to a female Maggie whose full name is Margaret, so I can't even imagine it working on a boy. I really want to like it, but I just don't. I think Magnus is perfectly fine on its own, so personally, I'd just call him Magnus, maybe Mag or Mags if I was feeling too lazy to say his entire name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users